RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Store Your Ammo

Boolit Bub
    30 & 50 cal ammo cans here as well. I have accumulated about 50 over the years. I have some 9mm rounds that I loaded 25 years ago that have been stored in ammo cans that look like they were loaded yesterday. I no longer use factory boxes or flip top boxes. Been there, done that. Takes up way too much room & time. I will put rounds in ziplock bags, label them, then store them in the ammo boxes. It also makes it easier when going to the range to just grab a quart size bag to throw in the range bag.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I use 4x4x4 cardboard boxes that way I can put uniform amounts of specific loads so many per box and a stay dry pack. They are pretty cheap from eBay or amazon. Just bought 100 for $23 . they stack great being nice and uniform.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    50 CAL steel ammo cans only for bulk storage. Water tight! Easy to store. I leave the food / storage containers for the chef.

I take custom hot foil-printed (with my logo) white boxes from Midway to the range. Save boxes and refill for next trip. That way I know how many 50’s I went thru vs the brass casings I come home with. Usually 2-3X more cases than I went with!!!!!!!! Free is good.

Boolit Master

For pistol ammo I've scrounged so many empty commercial boxes out of the dumpster at the range that I have trash bags full of them in the attic. They're also the perfect size, as they fit precisely in a 50 cal size ammo can: 5 rows of 4 boxes for 1000 rounds per can. They fit so perfectly I'd have to say they were made that way.

Boolit Master
    I use the flip top boxes for all my loaded ammo and prepped shells, all boxes are marked with contents using sticky tags. The smallest number of loaded rounds I have is 500 for my 357 Maximum Martini, Have over 2000 loaded for 223. It means a lot of shelves for over a hundred flip tops but I find it the only way to store ammo, each box has a small bag of those silica crystals in it and I suffer no corrosion problems. I Hi-Tek all my cast and store them in the empty plastic powder bottles, that is a lot of bottles when you consider I have 17 moulds I cast from. It is the best way I have found to store ammo and cast bullets. Use clip lock shelving screwed to wall and a few shelves cut from MDF and life is good. I keep a dead lock on the spare room I use and I meet all legal and safety regulation, and of cause a few HAZMAT stickers and I need not worry about big brother. Regard Stephen

Boolit Master

my mass reloads are .45 Colt rifle and pistol rounds (they differ in powder charges--can't take recoil like I once could)

I use the 'living hinge' plastic boxes. Lets me know the amount, convenient to transport, a bit weatherproof and once I load the boxes, bullet down, I can do a find check for high and reversed primers (I'm very big on this step)

at any one time probably have 15 50-round boxes loaded. this works well as I can go a couple of months (3 matches per month) if need be without loading and can allow me to process the empty shells through my wet tumbler cleaning process.

I do tire after about 45 minutes of reloading and have learned not to be stupid and 'push' the reloading process
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Banned
    I eat a lot of Planters honey roasted peanuts that come in square 2-pound plastic bottles. I use them for almost everything 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 6 1/2

The repack paper boxes are inexpensive

Ammo cans for bulk.....mostly .40 and 5.56. Quite a bit stored in magazines as well.

Factory 20-rd boxes, relabeled with load data, for hunting rounds. 30-06, 7mm-08, mostly.

20Rd plastic boxes, with slip on lids for BPCR hunting loads. (43 Spanish/45-70)
    50Rd plastic boxes with hinged lids for BPCR target/plinking loads.

I like the 20-rd boxes for hunting....they're easy to pack, and don't rattle.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Flip top boxes and ammo cans stacked everywhere .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master

I use ammo cans for bulk or boxed ammo. I use coffee "cans" for bulk components like brass and boolits. I use flip top boxes for cartridges that I only load 50-100 at a time.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I did this very same process. lol I'm into stage 6 now where you start all over but rather than projectiles, its how/where to store all the ammo cans!

Kraken Fan #69

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I went through the normal progression of reloaders [Also known as the five stages of grief ]

First I re-used the factory cardboard boxes (Denial - I don't need to buy any new stuff)

Then I started taping the factory cardboard boxes as they fell apart (Anger - FINE, I'll just use some tape, I'm not buying new boxes !)

Then I purchased those neat little plastic boxes with the flip top lids (Bargaining - OK, if I buy good quality boxes I'll only need to buy them once)

Then I started re-using metal coffee cans (Depression - there's no need to put cartridges in neat little trays, I might as well just dump them in a big cheap container. I'm just going to shoot them all up anyway)

Finally I just gave up and used 30 cal and 50 cal ammo cans ! (Acceptance - No two ways about it, I'm a reloader and I'm just going to use ammo cans !)

Boolit Grand Master
    Have to agree with P&P. Most of my loads are "standard" KISS - one load for 9mm, one for .38 but soon to be two, etc Getting rid of calibers I did not shoot very much helped simplify things.

When storing a lot of ammo of one type, the containers should be the same to aid in making the best use of space.

Almost all of my 12 ga shells are stored in 5 gal pails. I will sometimes box the shells before a shoot and put the boxes in dairy crates...but sometimes I just take the pails and box as I need them between events.

Those cardboard boxes that LaserCast sells bullets in are good for bulk pistol ammo. I have the .30 and .50 cal boxes as well but the .50 can get heavy. For matches, I use 100 round plastic boxes for two reasons...one, for a final inspection and two, to keep track of round count.

I do not load more than 40 rounds of .308 hunting ammunition a year so 1-2 50 rd plastic boxes is all I use.

Most serious shooters will shoot a lot of a few loads. Their needs will be different than a serious reloader who may have 20+ molds and calibers. Even though both may shoot the same number of rounds.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    My bulk 5.56, 9mm, 45ACP, go loose into a 50 cal can. I print out labels, and tape to the cans.

I load for 40-50 different rifle/pistol/shotgun calibers/gauges with multiple different loads in over half of them. Surplus ammo cans would probably bankrupt me��

Recycled ammo boxes from the gun club trash for me. I'm usually the one emptying the waste baskets any way. I suspect that 90+% that shoot @ my club think their mother shoots there and will clean up for them.

When they wear out, I recycle some more.

Think Green!

ADMIN

I purchased thick zip lock bags from ULINE.
    I put 50 rounds per bag and label the outside of the bag with the the weight of the bullet, the powder, the charge, and the date loaded.
    I then put them in 30 cal ammo cans
    On the outside of the can I put a label with the cal, weight, and quantity.

I pick up all the commercial boxes on the range and separate them by caliber and manufacturer and put reloads in the appropriate boxes and label them. These are then stored in military ammo cans or wooden ammo crates. I live outside Ft. Campbell, Ky and ammo cans are cheap or free if you know the right people.Wink,wink. I have a bahjillion Combloc wood crates (7.62X39,7.62X54r,7.63X25 & 9mm Mak) a local not so bright gunshop just tossed them in the trash. I politely asked if they would set them to the side and I'd pick them up once a week. They were even nice enough to leave the spam can openers and empty spam cans in them also. I sold the openers on ebay for $7.95 ea + $2.00 S&H. The empty spam cans get used for sorting the range brass I pick up in preparation for de-priming and cleaning. I have them in a bookcase I added shelves to that are spaced 6 inches apart and they are labeled by caliber & brass/nickel as appropriate. I also use the empty spam cans for parts cleaning mini solvent tanks. They even set out empty Mosin Nagant and SKS rifle crates that I was more than happy to haul away for them. I stood them up on end and screwed them to the wall and put hasps and padlocks on them. I store the ammo cans in them. I also made a coffee table out of one. If you are wondering,yes I have an awesome wife. She has her own loading bench and I am teaching her how to cast boolits.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Boolit Grand Master

I use 50 caliber ammo cans and MTM plastic boxes. Bulk brass gets stored in plastic coffee cans.

Wow Grmps, that sure is purty.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Boolit Master

Regardless of the container there will be a note with load info in it. Even standard loads can change over time
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    Grmps, I've seen those pics before and still wonder, what are the Orange pieces in the 2nd pic? Looks like someone squarshed your circus peanuts.

I went out this evening to clear off a shelf to make room for a couple more ammo cans, but got distracted PCing some boolits trying to find a copper color. Put a pic in the coating section if anyone is interested.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast