Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Store Your Ammo

Boolit Buddy

How Do You Store Your Ammo

For you volume shooters, if you load 500, 1k, 2k rounds all the same boolit, powder charge etc. Do you buy the flip top plastic boxes, just toss them in an ammo can, peanut butter jars, zip loc bags?
    I use the 100 round flip tops for most but they can get spendy. My 556 goes in quart zip locs and in an ammo can.
    Let's see what you have

Boolit Master

Lided plastic containers from dollar store when i run oit of plano boxes. Like those little disposable glad containers.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

30 cal and 50cal ammo US gov. cans I got a good deal 20 years ago at $3 each and bought a mess of them got a lot of full ones and a lot of empty ones I don't think I will run out any time soon D Crockett

Boolit Grand Master

I stacked the rifle ammo in ammo cans with a divider between layers. This worked well for me loading large batches for High Power. My hand gun ammo is stacked in cardboard boxes with dividers between layers. Each divider is numbered as to layer and the load written on it. I have used 8" X 11" X 4" deep boxes for handgun ammo.

Boolit Master
    I’ve got a few dozen of the plastic boxes, use them mostly for load development. Bulk stuff goes in 30 and 50 cal ammo cans.

I mostly use 30 and 50 cal ammo cans. I love the seals on the lids. They saved me a lot of ammo a few years go. My basement got 4 feet of water in it that lasted 3 days before I could get to anything and it took longer than that to clear the path to the ammo. My basement had never flooded before in the 40 years I lived there.
    When I finally got to the ammo cans all the seals held and the ammo was in great shape.
    I have since moved and there is no chance of that happening again so now I use totes and storage bags as well as large cardboard boxes to hold the large runs.

Boolit Mold
    Peanut butter jars

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

30 and 50 cal ammo cans until I run out, then lidded plastic containers that originally held over a hundred dishwasher tabs.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master
    Cast projectiles get stored in Gladware containers. Loaded ammo gets thrown in ammo cans, a 1000 to a can. This is for 9mm and 380ACP.

Boolit Master
    Just about anything I can scrounge up.

I use old cardboard ammo boxes, dedicated plastic ammo boxes, tupperware, PB & mayonnaise jars, cookie tins, ziplok style bags, chip dip/sour cream/cottage cheese containers, vacuum packed freezer bags, small cardboard boxes, and ammo cans. All get marked in some way or another with the pertinent data so I know what the rounds are, but I am not picky about what I store them in.
    I would love to have more dedicated ammo boxes but they are expensive, IMO, and I use them for load development mostly, like another poster mentioned before.

An "ammo box snob", I am not.
    LOL
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Steel ammo cans work the best for me .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Used the commercial ammo boxes until I decided I had spent the equivalent of a couple of 8 pound kegs of powder on stuff that doesn't go bang. I recycle other peoples ammo boxes now. Not as pretty but the price is right.

Banned
    I went through the normal progression of reloaders [Also known as the five stages of grief ]

First I re-used the factory cardboard boxes (Denial - I don't need to buy any new stuff)

Then I started taping the factory cardboard boxes as they fell apart (Anger - FINE, I'll just use some tape, I'm not buying new boxes !)

Then I purchased those neat little plastic boxes with the flip top lids (Bargaining - OK, if I buy good quality boxes I'll only need to buy them once)

Then I started re-using metal coffee cans (Depression - there's no need to put cartridges in neat little trays, I might as well just dump them in a big cheap container. I'm just going to shoot them all up anyway)

Finally I just gave up and used 30 cal and 50 cal ammo cans ! (Acceptance - No two ways about it, I'm a reloader and I'm just going to use ammo cans !)

I use anything I can get my hands on.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I went through the normal progression of reloaders [Also known as the five stages of grief ]

First I re-used the factory cardboard boxes (Denial - I don't need to buy any new stuff)

Then I started taping the factory cardboard boxes as they fell apart (Anger - FINE, I'll just use some tape, I'm not buying new boxes !)

Then I purchased those neat little plastic boxes with the flip top lids (Bargaining - OK, if I buy good quality boxes I'll only need to buy them once)

Then I started re-using metal coffee cans (Depression - there's no need to put cartridges in neat little trays, I might as well just dump them in a big cheap container. I'm just going to shoot them all up anyway)

Finally I just gave up and used 30 cal and 50 cal ammo cans ! (Acceptance - No two ways about it, I'm a reloader and I'm just going to use ammo cans !)
    LOL this
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Bub

You can tell I'm new to reloading, I just entered the depression stage. LOL

Boolit Bub
    Like many others when I started I would use scrounged boxes but they started falling apart. I just couldn't justify the cost of buying containers when I was also stockpiling components and getting new equipment. Now I use a combination of ammo cans, and buckets. I have 4-6 hinged containers for each caliber as well but those are used to transport from my buckets to the range, I can't see how it would be cost effective to have all stored in all of these. For shotshells I have a Harbor Freight tool chest and I store them in the large bottom compartment. The drawers are split between each caliber for magazines and the larger ones keep my 3 gun equipment. At Kroger they use white buckets in the bakery for icing which fill up nicely and aren't too heavy to carry just make sure to hold by the bottom not the handle.

Boolit Buddy

Nailed it!

I'm trying to get organized, my stuff is a mess. I'll probably get a couple of more ammo cans.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wizofwas View Post
    You can tell I'm new to reloading, I just entered the depression stage. LOL
    The Depression stage is thankfully short and cheap.

Banned
    So what eventually happens is you end up with some standard loads that you shoot more than anything else.
    Those standard loads will be your high volume stuff. This is generally handgun practice ammo, tactical rifle ammo (if you're into that) and maybe some shotgun shells. The bulk of your reloading and shooting will be centered on these "standard" loads. Therefore the containers for those loads will get recycled more often and trashed sooner than the low volume stuff. (Reloading is REALLY addictive ! )

For example, I have a total of 1 target load for 20 gauge shotgun. It is the same shot size, same shot payload, the same wad, the same powder, etc., that I've used for more than 20 years. I'm NOT changing that load.
    I have exactly 2 standard 9mm loads and one of those has been uncharged for 25 years!
    That doesn't mean I'm totally dogmatic about reloading, I'm not. It means the BULK of what I reload falls into some long established standard. Typically the progressive press is set for standard loads and the single stages are for small batches or experimentation.

When you have shot and reloaded for years, you will settle on a few standard loads and "Lock Down" the components: powder, OAL, charge weights, etc. You will crank out those "standard loads" to the same formula every time.
    BTW; There's some real advantage in that mass consistency.
    That doesn't mean you stop loading specific cartridges for some specific guns. Nor does it mean you stop experimenting, within reason.
    It does mean that the VAST majority of what you reload will fall into a well defined category.

If you maintain 1000+ rounds of a particular cartridge on hand; there's no need to put each one of those cartridges into a neat little Styrofoam or plastic tray in boxes of 50. They are all loaded with the same powder, the same amount of powder, the same bullet, seated to the same depth, blah, blah, blah.....Just dump them into the SAME ammo can.

There's a fantastic thread this forum that deals with "75,000 wadcutters in a Model 27". That is a prime example of a standard load. In that particular case it happens to be a H&G #50 bullet, 3.5 grains of Bullseye, a W-W wadcutter casing and a WSP primer.

As Pink Floyd would comment, "....just another brick in the wall"

Even if you don't reload and shoot much, having a 30 cal. ammo can full, or nearly full, of your preferred "standard load"; isn't a bad way to store your most commonly used ammo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast