Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Help identifying a Corbin Press

Boolit Bub

Help identifying a Corbin Press

I'm looking for some help identifying what Corbin press this is. I figured it was a Corbin CSP-2, but the measurements don't match Corbin's site.

Corbin's site excerpts:
    There is 15.5 inches from the top of the press to the bench on which it mounts. It is 15 inches from the bench top to the lowest point on the press itself, without the handle .The press has two stroke travels, depending on the setting of the ram pin. In the long stroke (reloading) mode, the space between the lower side of the head, and the top of the ram plate, is 9.5 inches with the ram down (A in photo) and 3.5 inches with the ram up . With the press set for the short stroke or swaging mode, dimension A is 8 inches and dimension B is 5-1/8 inches . The distance from the top of the base or mounting plate to the bottom side of the press head is 12-1/2 inches.
    Space between supports A 3.00
    Width of head B 6.00
    Support Diameter C 1.00
    Head threads D 1.5-12
    Ram threads E 1.0-12
    Ram-Head top of stroke clearance, short stroke mode F 5.125
    Ram-Head top of stroke clearance, long stroke mode F 3.500
    Ram-Head bottom of stroke clearance, short stroke mode G 8.00
    Ram-Head bottom of stroke clearance, long stroke mode G 9.50
    Head thickness I 1.00
    Head depth J 3.00
    Support centers K 4.00
    Mounting plate depth L 8.00

The press I received the measurements are as follows: ( Measurement to nearest 1/8")
    There is 14 inches from the top of the press to the bench on which it mounts. It is 9 inches from the bench top to the lowest point on the press itself, without the handle . In the long stroke (reloading) mode, the space between the lower side of the head, and the top of the ram plate, is 8 inches with the ram down (A in photo) and 2 inches with the ram up . With the press set for the short stroke or swaging mode, dimension A is 6.5 inches and dimension B is 3.5 inches . The distance from the top of the base or mounting plate to the bottom side of the press head is 11 inches .
    Space between supports A 3.00
    Width of head B 6.00
    Support Diameter C 1.00
    Head threads D 1.5-12
    Ram threads E 1.0-12
    Ram-Head top of stroke clearance, short stroke mode F 3.500
    Ram-Head top of stroke clearance, long stroke mode F 2.000
    Ram-Head bottom of stroke clearance, short stroke mode G 6.500
    Ram-Head bottom of stroke clearance, long stroke mode G 8.00
    Head thickness I 1.00
    Head depth J 3.00
    Support centers K 4.00
    Mounting plate depth L 8.00

Any thoughts? I was mainly looking for a CSP-2 to swage big 50 cal projectiles for my 510 Whisper. My concern is the linkage setup seems to be different than the CSP-2, potentially affecting the leverage.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	press.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	217744

Might be a early csp-2 I think he changed the short mode to 2.4" stroke and added a 4" stroke along with a 6" stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtjumper895 View Post
    I'm looking for some help identifying what Corbin press this is. I figured it was a Corbin CSP-2, but the measurements don't match Corbin's site.

Corbin's site excerpts:
    There is 15.5 inches from the top of the press to the bench on which it mounts. It is 15 inches from the bench top to the lowest point on the press itself, without the handle .The press has two stroke travels, depending on the setting of the ram pin. In the long stroke (reloading) mode, the space between the lower side of the head, and the top of the ram plate, is 9.5 inches with the ram down (A in photo) and 3.5 inches with the ram up . With the press set for the short stroke or swaging mode, dimension A is 8 inches and dimension B is 5-1/8 inches . The distance from the top of the base or mounting plate to the bottom side of the press head is 12-1/2 inches.
    Space between supportsA 3.00
    Width of head B 6.00
    Support Diameter C 1.00
    Head threads D 1.5-12
    Ram threads E 1.0-12
    Ram-Head top of stroke clearance, short stroke modeF 5.125
    Ram-Head top of stroke clearance, long stroke modeF 3.500
    Ram-Head bottom of stroke clearance, short stroke mode G 8.00
    Ram-Head bottom of stroke clearance, long stroke mode G 9.50
    Head thicknessI 1.00
    Head depthJ 3.00
    Support centersK 4.00
    Mounting plate depthL 8.00

The press I received the measurements are as follows: ( Measurement to nearest 1/8")
    There is 14 inches from the top of the press to the bench on which it mounts. It is 9 inches from the bench top to the lowest point on the press itself, without the handle . In the long stroke (reloading) mode, the space between the lower side of the head, and the top of the ram plate, is 8 inches with the ram down (A in photo) and 2 inches with the ram up . With the press set for the short stroke or swaging mode, dimension A is 6.5 inches and dimension B is 3.5 inches . The distance from the top of the base or mounting plate to the bottom side of the press head is 11 inches .
    Space between supportsA 3.00
    Width of head B 6.00
    Support Diameter C 1.00
    Head threads D 1.5-12
    Ram threads E 1.0-12
    Ram-Head top of stroke clearance, short stroke modeF 3.500
    Ram-Head top of stroke clearance, long stroke modeF 2.000
    Ram-Head bottom of stroke clearance, short stroke mode G 6.500
    Ram-Head bottom of stroke clearance, long stroke mode G 8.00
    Head thicknessI 1.00
    Head depthJ 3.00
    Support centersK 4.00
    Mounting plate depthL 8.00

Any thoughts? I was mainly looking for a CSP-2 to swage big 50 cal projectiles for my 510 Whisper. My concern is the linkage setup seems to be different than the CSP-2, potentially affecting the leverage.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	press.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	217744
    Send that message to Corbin press he will answer you very quickly.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Ram threads of 1.0 -12 make it an H press... D

Boolit Master
    If it is about 75 lbs, it is an H press as uncle dino said.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks all for the information. This is an early version of the CSP-2. The following message came from Dave Corbin:

"You have an early version of the CSP-2 press, prior to the current changes in design.

It will still work with all the –H dies. The dimensions are different but the newer models are simply more capable with three stroke modes and handle more situations with greater ease than the early versions.

The toggle and links would need to be synchronized to the ram length and dimensions, so if you decide to do any upgrading or parts replacement of the major components, such as toggle, it would be wise to ship it to us and have us do the assembly and fitting, since we know how it should operate and would save a lot of back and forth if any fitting was required – which it probably would be.

However, if you have all the parts and it is in operating condition, I don’t really seen a need to do any updating. It worked fine for .510 caliber and can make jackets from tubing, etc. The triple stroke option adds more convenient ratio of power for some operations but you can add a long handle and the quick change punch holder, in order to get long parts formed and to load and unload them more easily even with the two-position toggle system. It’s fine as is, but we constantly look for and make improvements. I imagine in five years more, there will be yet other improvements or changes that we discover to be useful.
    "

Hope this also helps others, as I had no idea there were different versions of CSP-2's on the market. This one weights about ~60lbs, so a little lighter than the current CSP-2, but not much.