Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to do with bullets

Boolit Buddy
    vrh, I've read more than a few posts of rifle shooters who do that. What I'd like to know is if the standard deviation on paper (accuracy wise) is present to warrant your process of sorting by weight. Have you done a blind test of say ten rounds or so to your weighed lots? Not being critical. Just want to know if you're seeing a difference, and if so, how much.

Boolit Grand Master
    98% of my rifle castings get the No. 1 Mk III eyeball exam throughout the process, and I am a kinda unforgiving of flaws I see on a bullet. I did scale some #225438 bullets for a 22 Hornet test series I ran in 2014, and shot some fairly impressive group sizes (10-shotters) at 100 and 200 yards. 9.0 grains of 2400, W-W cases, Rem 6-1/2 primers, Carnauba Red lube, .225" sizing. Velocity ran 2360-2415 FPS ES. At 100, groups ran 1.3" to 1.7", at 200 they ran 2.8" to 3.5".

I had bullets in 3 weight groups, 1% of mean weight (42.2 grains) as the standard--Group 1 (41.7 to 42.0); Group 2 (42.1 to 42.4); Group 3 (42.5 to 42.8). Group 3 bullets did the first grouping test. The next test used bullets taken from all three groups in equal numbers and loaded in the same fashion as the Group 3 bullets. Grouping at 100 and 200 yards was for all practical purposes identical to the more segregated bullets. FWIW.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I would categorize by caliber.

In large bore handgun such as 41, 44, and my 480 I do a visual. The uglies go into two piles. The very ugly get reran and the less ugly are dirt cold busters.

I also do a middle grade of visual as well as a top grade.

So I end up with three shooter piles of boolits. The top or perfect grade are my hell freezes over slugs, the middle grade are for just bumming around and the lower grade for a charging dirt clod.

With a rifle I can see more exotic handling especially as the bore size shrinks. I have not gone below 25 caliber rifle and precious little of that thus far. My best rifle thus far is my cherished .338-06 and that was a piece of cake!

Three44s

Boolit Master
    Somewhere I read a topic/post by Larry Gibson about sorting by weight, but cannot remember where it is & I am too tired to look for it. AT least I think it was Mr. Gibson & about this subject.

In the post he describes how he tested something like a "bell curve" of boolit weights to see how the difference factors in a longer ranges in the firearm he was using. He may have been testing the firearm & just as an aside mentioned the process he used about sorting by weight with the boolits, but IIRC, he found some effect on the boolit grain weight but I do not remember either if it was of any significance or not in regard to the testsd he was doing.

{ I am tired & running with little sleep right now, so I am a bit "foggy" in my memory, it seems today}

Perhaps he will chime in here & say something about what he has experienced as well. { I think I know where I read it as I think about it, but I think it was in a different forum than this one & I am a bit uncomfortable with bringing it here to this forum.}

-----------
    As far as my "opinion to comment here...

I weigh my rifle boolits and try to stay within a couple grains +/-. I currently only cast one mold for rifle & share it over to .308 & 30-06. I do not have enough experience using cast to know what effect it may have at long distance, but I do not shoot competitively & not as often as I used to or like, so I can't really say any more than the weight of the boolits doesn't concern me for my type of shooting right now to make it worthwhile to get too picky about what my rifle boolits weigh. When it comes to handgun, I also do not shoot competitively, but usually only shoot 25 yds or less, so I do not think it would make much difference. Now if I was to be shooting regularly with handgun at 50 yds +, then I might weigh those boolits.

I guess it is one of those, "do what ya like & don't worry about anyone else" deals, if you are not shooting competitively. Unless you are trying to "strive for perfection" for your own reasons.
    I am picky with some things, but not "too" picky with things I don't think matter much for "me".

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Moderator Emeritus

JB,
    I believe you might be refering to one of goodsteel's posts?
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-are-you-REALY
    sadly, I don't know why the images don't work
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    JB,
    I believe you might be refering to one of goodsteel's posts?
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-are-you-REALY
    sadly, I don't know why the images don't work
    Yes, JonB, that may be one.

I also found it here at CB.GL forum in one of Mr. Gibsons posts as well:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post4345422

^ I made it a direct link to the post, so no searching to find it.

Hopefully the pics & graphs work at this link above. They do for me anyway.

Thank you! JonB, for your help!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12