WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Still leading

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outback32 View Post
    The leading is on the top groove. I couldn't get a pic of it . I put pics of the forcing cone so guys could tell me of it needed anything done to it
    In my opinion, this is a forcing cone that definitely needs something done to it. I honestly don't think I have ever seen one quite that rough.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Man
    Well the mag cases do not lead at all. The Russian cases lead a little in the forcing cone. I wish the russians would shoot without leading. But thank you to everyone that suggested mag cases it worked. No leading at all.

Boolit Man
    I just want to say thank you to everyone that helped. It feels good to be able to shoot boolits that I cast and powder coated. Next is 357 as soon as I get my gp100. I hope that goes well. I've decided il shoot plated bullets in the Russian cases and lead in magnum since that's what my gun likes.

Try a .430 boolit with a good lube, in a 44 magnum case and see what happens. Normally, the barrel leads when the chambers are smaller than the barrel...

Boolit Man
    .430 bullets lead the barrel my cylinders are 432 but that doesn't matter. The boolits I have sized to .432 dont lead in a mag case. That's why I'm happy

Vendor Sponsor

If your .432" boolits slide into the throats with finger pressure, the boolits and the throats are correct. Nuf said.

The forcing cone definitely could use work. You can go to 4D rentals and rent the kit from them, they have a 20min video showing how to use it. You don't want to make the OD of the fire ring any bigger than you have to to clean it up. This is what a good one should look like when it is cut with the 11 degree cutter:

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I had an sp 101 with a rough forcing cone. I guess ruger thinks it's o.k. to put those out for their customers.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    I had an sp 101 with a rough forcing cone. I guess ruger thinks it's o.k. to put those out for their customers.
    For most folks shooting mostly factory j-words a few times a year they're actually right. Thankfully it doesn't take much to bring it up to snuff for more discerning shooters and nice folks like DougGuy are happy to do it.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

You may be worrying too much about a little lead. A little lead that doesn't continue to build up and affect accuracy is no problem for me. You will know real soon if you get bad leading in a .44!

Boolit Master
    This sounds to me like the Fable of Henny Penny and Chicken Little and their episode of the Sky Is Falling situation.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    If your .432" boolits slide into the throats with finger pressure, the boolits and the throats are correct. Nuf said.

The forcing cone definitely could use work. You can go to 4D rentals and rent the kit from them, they have a 20min video showing how to use it. You don't want to make the OD of the fire ring any bigger than you have to to clean it up. This is what a good one should look like when it is cut with the 11 degree cutter:

Now that's what a forcing cone ought to look like!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Banned

is it possible the shorter Russian cases aren't being supported and held straight enough to have the bullet enter the forcing cone in alignment. Try seating some bullet out to 44 special length and see if it cures it. Ive shot the Russians in 44 special guns but not 44 mags.

Boolit Buddy
    Every New Model Ruger 44 I have bought in the last 5 year’s has had thread choke. Swage a well lubricated slug and push it from the muzzle to the breech end and see if you feel it tighten right at the barrel/frame connection. If so, you’ll need to fire lap the bore to remove it.

Boolit Man
    I may try to seat the bullets further out. I shot 60 mag rds monday. There was no leading at all I'm glad I found this site.

Boolit Man
    I don't know how to quote ppl. But what is 44mag1 talking about fables.trying to say I'm making it up or what kinda confused

I would just stick with the magnum cases. using a faster powder, you can load them to 44 Russian, or 44spl velocities, and you don't have to worry about blow by and leading, I think you got it figgered out though! have fun! by the way, did you say what model you have?, I have the super Blackhawk stainless bisley hunter in 44 mag, and I love it! I have never shot a manufactured load or boolit through it. I use the noe 432-277 keith style, which casts at 275grs with my alloy, and I size to 431. what boolit are you using?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Moderator Emeritus

I don't know how to quote ppl. But what is 44mag1 talking about fables.trying to say I'm making it up or what kinda confused
    click on "Reply with Quote" to quote ppl.

If I were to guess? I'd suspect the fable comment is a "cute" way of saying lead fouling isn't a big deal.

Myself, I think your question and desire to work out this issue is a good one.

...and I've had Henny Penny chicken, it ain't nothing to write home about LOL.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Before you consider firelapping as I believe was suggested earlier, you may want to read about it first here:
    http://www.lasc.us/bellmFirelappingBarrels.htm

G'Luck! in finding a solution, but I would think that getting that forcing cone cleaned up & smoothed out would be what "I' would consider first. ( I am not expert on this, but I know a rough part when I see it, I imagine...LOL)
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Just saying what some call leading may not be a big deal. Now actual leading may be. Can you tell any REAL difference in your "across the board accuracy"? Are you good enough to tell?
    Does it continually build up? Does it level off and stay the same for many rounds? Or have you seen a spot of lead and started worrying.

There is no barrel that will stay spotless even with jacketed bullets. There have been so much yelling about leading I wonder if most are actually getting LEADING or are they panicking when the see a spot or two that never gets any worse.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    I would just stick with the magnum cases. using a faster powder, you can load them to 44 Russian, or 44spl velocities, and you don't have to worry about blow by and leading, I think you got it figgered out though! have fun! by the way, did you say what model you have?, I have the super Blackhawk stainless bisley hunter in 44 mag, and I love it! I have never shot a manufactured load or boolit through it. I use the noe 432-277 keith style, which casts at 275grs with my alloy, and I size to 431. what boolit are you using?
    I have the stainless super blackhawk hunter 7.5 inch. I love the gun I'm loading a 240 gn Lee swc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast