Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on Heavy 30/06 Boolits (190gr+)

Boolit Master

I loaded the Accurate Molds 245gr at 1,950fps in my 30-06 with 35gr H4895. It shot very well, and I'm sure would penetrate through about anything I'd want to shoot with it.

Awesome feedback! Thanks guys. Some of the NOE molds have BC's of over .5 which is pretty impressive for a cast boolit! (311-230-FN)

@Brewer, I just took a look and the NOE TL310-180-RF has a .225 meplat just in case you're looking for something closer to your 35!
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I loaded the Accurate Molds 245gr at 1,950fps in my 30-06 with 35gr H4895. It shot very well, and I'm sure would penetrate through about anything I'd want to shoot with it.
    I have the hollow point version of the mold. I think that with the cupped point pins it would behave a lot like a flat pointed hollow point. You would get the initial impact of a flat point but the cupped point might help initiate a little bit of expansion.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Buddy
    heavy bullets fly good. I'm looking at the NOE 180gr in 308

My 311284 makes a nice flat nose boolit when I can't find the right nose punch and I use a flat
    punch instead ��

And they shoots ridiculously well out of the 4 M1's and the 03A3 even with the mushed nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    I have the hollow point version of the mold. I think that with the cupped point pins it would behave a lot like a flat pointed hollow point. You would get the initial impact of a flat point but the cupped point might help initiate a little bit of expansion.
    That's awesome. So it's just a "cup" and not a deep hollow point?

I wonder if NOE makes a 311284 or similar with a cup or flat nose... Or is this something reserved to Accurate? Aren't their molds significantly more extensive or am I wrong? Their website it dizzying to me....
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

Boolit Bub
    Humm...

Don't bother to waste a lot of time thinking about it.

Cast bullets should be heavy for elk, but,, a cast bullet in 30-06, no matter the weight, does a dis-service to the elk.

Yes, you can drop an elk with 3006/cast bullet, but there are better cast cartridges for it.
    Cast for deer:

Just about any heavy, (or about any light weight) cast bullet in 30 caliber will just pass thru both sides.

So, as for bullet weight, it's rather pick your poison.

Cast a bullet between 150, and 200 grains, launch at about 1800 to 2000 fps, make sure it shoots inside 4 inches at 100 yds,

and keep your shooting distance at less than 150 yards, ...then be sure to properly place the shot.
    Keeping all this in mind, it really does not matter which bullet , or bullet weight you choose.
    Pick one, load it right, and shoot it right.
    As for 311284, that bullet has a very long bore ride nose section, and it will usually only fit old military throats, ....not so much throats like the Rem 700, or old Winchester model 70.

311284 bullet works great in the 03 Springfield rifle, and especially well in the 30-/40 Krag....
    Were I to pick a bullet for 3006, I would go with the 180 grain RCBS flat point, cast it from air cooled wheel weights, ...launch at 1800 to 2000 fps, make sure it is accurate enough, and be done with it.

Don't worry about bullet profile. Rn is fine at 1800 fps instrumental velocity. I've had good performance with 311299 (best) and 311284.

Quote Originally Posted by davidheart View Post
    @Brewer, I just took a look and the NOE TL310-180-RF has a .225 meplat just in case you're looking for something closer to your 35!
    Honestly, I was looking for a higher BC boolit with a sizable meplat that I could run up to 1900+ FPS. I got that in the 311 195. If I think I will have to take a 250 yard shot I will slap in a mag of jacketed, but mostly I don't like taking those very long shots so I would rather creep closer or pass on the shot.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Banned
    DavidHeart,

A deacon from our church, who is a fanatic moose hunter & goes to AK frequently, shoots a .309/240 grain GCCB at about 1900-2000FPS without problems out of his Model 700BDL. - He's been known to say that "the TX heart shot" works fine with that BIG/heavy for caliber boolit.

Personally, a 200 grain boolit is the heaviest that I've tried in my Model 760 rifles.

yours, tex

Quote Originally Posted by robert12345 View Post
    ....As for 311284, that bullet has a very long bore ride nose section, and it will usually only fit old military throats, ....not so much throats like the Rem 700, or old Winchester model 70....
    Awesome. My rifle is a 1952 Columbian Mauser in 30/06.

There's some pitting in the barrel and the muzzle isn't overly attractive. It'd be a good thing if I could get my hands on some 311284 for testing. The 311299 that I had shot well at 25 yards and I couldn't seat it out long enough for the boolit forward of the driving band to engage... Perhaps the 311284 is similar.

I appreciate all the comments. It definitely gives me some food for thought and positive ideas!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davidheart View Post
    That's awesome. So it's just a "cup" and not a deep hollow point?

I wonder if NOE makes a 311284 or similar with a cup or flat nose... Or is this something reserved to Accurate? Aren't their molds significantly more extensive or am I wrong? Their website it dizzying to me....
    NOE makes hollow point molds with captive pins so they automatically align and release themselves, called RG molds. I don’t think Accurate makes any sort of hollow point molds at all.

You can swap the pins on a NOE mold. Most of mine came with a deep HP, a cupped point and a flat nose pin. Let me see if I can find a picture of a NOE with a cupped point.
    NRA Endowment Member

You have to love the .30-06, just a wonderful cartridge. Which is why the majority of my rifles are chambered in .30-06.
    Vietnam Veteran (68-69), NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Just got a noe 180 in 311, will know soon

Boolit Master
    Some years back I did a terminal ballistics test with the Lee 160 gr RNGC out of my 30/30 at 40 yards. The MV was 1550 fps and the media was soaked, composed phone books. The result was spectacular for both penetration and wound channel which told me that at that MV I would be good for deer out to about 150 yards (about as far as I can get a sight picture with iron sights anyway). This past fall I filled my doe tag with a huge 200#+ doe at 80 yards with a 140 gr 7MM Lee RFGC boolit that started out at a leisurely 1700 fps and the result was a huge wound channel and complete penetration (she went about 30 yards). High velocity is overrated when you are using cast lead if your shots are under 200 yards and your quarry is deer. BTW - my 308 scout loves those heavy boolits around 190 gr. and an MV of 1800 fps so I will be using it for bear this summer if my business schedule allows and even elk if I were to hunt elk with a modern firearm. For the record, my thoughts are colored by the Olympic Peninsula where visibility is extremely limited and shots average well under 80 yards for deer, bear, or elk (often under 15 yards).
    Last edited by quilbilly; 04-13-2018 at 12:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    This is the NOE 311299 with the cupped point pins

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cup point - 1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	218278
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Grand Master
    I use the Lee 200 grain with the spire-type point in 30-06, cast as a Bruce B Soft Point. "Donor slug" is the Lyman #257420 in pure lead.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I like the NOE 312290
    Mine end up around 225gr.http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=30_362
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12