Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Which of these two rifles??

Which of these three rifles??

I am looking for a new 22 gas pellet rifle, I have narrowed it to these two:

Gamo Whisper Fusion Mach 1 IGT Break Barrel Air Rifle, .22 Caliber, 20.5" Barrel, 3-9x40mm Scope

Umarex Octane Break Barrel Gas Piston Air Rifle, .22 Caliber

Gamo Urban PCP Air Rifle, Bolt Action, .22 Caliber

I am kind of leaning towards the Umarex Octane. What do the experts say?

Steve........
    Last edited by Steve E; 04-07-2018 at 10:37 AM.
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member

Boolit Master
    Of the 2 choices I'd definitely get the HW90.

I figured you'd pick that one.

Steve........
    GOA Life Member

Me too. Anything with "HW" in the name is going to be far superior to most others out there.

Weihrauch makes really good guns I have 4, a HW35EB, an HW35E, an HW77, and Beeman R1 which is an HW 80.

You can't go wrong with any of these guns. They might be a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for. I've had my HW35EB since 1978 and have fired it literally thousands of times, and most of those were down the hallway into my living room before I was married. That's going strong for 40 years!

My .02

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Would love to have a Weihrauch but not at this time, does anyone have experience with the three listed in the first post?

Steve.........
    Last edited by Steve E; 04-07-2018 at 10:38 AM.
    GOA Life Member

I have shot my friends Gamo .22 gas piston can't think of the name now, it is break barrel but has a magazine . shoot the pellet , break the barrel & another pellet is loaded when the barrel is closed again to fire at 25 yards it will put one pellet atop the next if you can hold it. much more civilized than a regular springer.
    if I had to chose from the 2 you mention it would be the Umarex octane.
    "there is a limit to everything"
    Sigillum Militum Xpisti

Third one added.

Steve........
    GOA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I do not have any of the three you have listed. I do have the Gamo Whisper Fusion Elite 22 cal. I got it for a friend and well got stuck with it. So I gave it a go. I like it. Its not like my PCP Discovery but its ok. It likes the crossman pellets so that is a plus. I changed out a screw in the trigger and that make it better. From 10-75 yards I can take larger decent size critters on four legs if I get a head shot. I have taken tree rats in half with wadcutters so I do not suggest that if you are looking to eat them. I have dropped some crows at 100 but I would say that was luck. Sorry I could not help with the three you have listed. Take this into consideration. Technology has come a long way and almost all the gas guns are lightyears ahead of the old springers.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Buddy
    I am a weihrauch fan...do your self a deal and buy one. You can get the hw30 for $289 airguns of Arizona. What a gun...or a rws mod 34. Both have great triggers and last forever. If you need more power go up to the hw95 they have a good deal on those too.
    Muzzleloaders....why don't you pick one up and smoke it sometime

Serving my Lord and Savor has been one of my biggest challenges and for sure biggest joys in my life....
    Thank you Jesus....you changed the rhythm of my heart.

Boolit Master
    Mine was under 100 bucks at walmart. I had a gift card to use up.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Buddy
    You know pellet rifles have come a long long way. A lot has to do with what you want to do with it. Just punch paper shoot pests and how far. Most scopes you get with a package are ok at best so you will want a air gun scope at some point. Gamo umerex hatsan all decent guns in 22. For hunting a gas piston is nice but not a must. Hatsan has some nice stuff on clearance I've been looking at a 25cal vortex for under $200. Good luck...

Serving my Lord and Savor has been one of my biggest challenges and for sure biggest joys in my life....

I decided to go with the Gamo Urban PCP Air Rifle, Bolt Action, .22 Caliber. We'll see how my foray into the dark side goes. It should be around the end of the week. I already picked up some slighty heavier pellets, a lot of Urban owners say the 18 gr pellets shoot a little better.

Steve.........
    GOA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Very cool...pcp is a great way to go. Didn't realize you had the capability to pump that up to 3300 psi. That will be tough with a hand pump past about 2000 or so. A carbon fiber tank is the best way to pump that up. We don't really have a place around to pump to 4500 so that's why I went with a disco and pump to 2000. Good luck!

Boolit Buddy
    Go with the pcp gun. Hand pumps are great if you don't have a shoebox compressor or a scuba shop near by, but there is a definite technique to them. I don't let my Condor SS get below 2500psi and it's nothing to get it back up to 3000
    Domari Nolo

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryball View Post
    Go with the pcp gun. Hand pumps are great if you don't have a shoebox compressor or a scuba shop near by, but there is a definite technique to them. I don't let my Condor SS get below 2500psi and it's nothing to get it back up to 3000
    I agree

Boolit Master
    I just cleanly killed two pidgeons in the street in front of the house. Shot them out of a window. Crosman .22 Co2 pellet pistol with rifle buttstock. I put a 16" Walther Lothar barrel on it, increased the valve volume, put a lighter spring in the valve, enlarged the gas port and fitted a polyethylene tube style port gasket. It has an adjustable hammer spring, trigger work and an extended bolt probe. At 20 yards it goes in one hole. Because it is Co2 I named it Easy Wind. I have killed numerous squirrels and starlings with it and one crow that I pot shotted at 50 yds.

I want exceptional accuracy out of an air gun and enough power to kill run of the mill urban pests. I concure with those who recommend the Weihrauch. It will do everything mine does but with more power and style.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180412_144850.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	218226
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 04-12-2018 at 04:41 PM.