Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best States for Free and Easy, No-Pay, No-Hassle Shooting?

Best States for Free and Easy, No-Pay, No-Hassle Shooting?

Some of you probably live in states where it is not necessary to own private land or belong to a club in order to shoot.

I know such places exist, primarily in the West, but possibly east of the Mississippi as well. Federal and state land are two possibilities, but numerous types of private waste land might also work (with permission, of course).

Let me hear your praise for where you live and the free, no-hassle shooting opportunities that any Bart Leadslinger can enjoy. Obviously a buddy who owns 20 or 80 acres isn't what I'm asking about.

Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PBSmith View Post
    Some of you probably live in states where it is not necessary to own private land or belong to a club in order to shoot.

I know such places exist, primarily in the West, but possibly east of the Mississippi as well. Federal and state land are two possibilities, but numerous types of private waste land might also work (with permission, of course).

Let me hear your praise for where you live and the free, no-hassle shooting opportunities that any Bart Leadslinger can enjoy. Obviously a buddy who owns 20 or 80 acres isn't what I'm asking about.

Thanks.
    Michigan has many public ranges and it is legal to shoot on state land.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by PBSmith View Post

Thanks.
    Iowa has public ranges as well.

Boolit Master
    Where I live in Arizona. Ride out my driveway on my ATV, turn left, right, or go straight. I'm shooting where ever I want. Big pit up the road that I can shoot out to 300 yds. LE Officers are all pro-gun. I'm in heaven here. Nothing like that communist state of Massachusetts I came from 18 yrs ago. And no permit needed to carry concealed.

Boolit Master

Both our house in Moapa Nevada, and the one in Kalispell Montana afford lots of "Free" shooting locations within a couple of minutes that support 300 yards or more (up to miles at the Moapa House). We still belong to Clubs with Ranges in both areas for the amenities. Nice covered ranges in the Kalispell area; and nice "Indoor Ranges" in the Moapa area (gets to 120 degrees outside there and sometimes you do not want to get up early before it's 80 degrees and warmer several months out of the year).
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    I do most of my shooting outdoors on Pubic lands here, and occasionally on private. Dunno about "praise" though. It is just where I go to shoot, safely, and not many mind folks doing it.

I/We don't know where "you" live, which would be kind of nice to know, since you are asking, as well as you have made "me" curious as to why you asked.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Lots of BLM land in New Mexico.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I live in central Pa. and I'm surrounded by free ranges and very low cost ranges. State Game land ranges are free if you have a hunting license but also take donations if you want to. Some other ranges are free and fees on others are very reasonable. A range 45 minutes from me has rifle range out to 1000 yards, several different pistol ranges, trap, 5 stand etc for 60 bucks a year and 80 bucks a year for a family. Pretty reasonable I think.

Boolit Master

When we were in Southwest Michigan the Allegan State game area had a free unsupervised range, Here is Saginaw I do not have a place located yet to just go shoot. I would love to hear of someplace close and out of town.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    MY wife owns 2-1/2 sections of land . So my friends an I have it made. I have my own shooting range and deer hunting land. I feel for you guys that can only go to a public indoor range. I wish everybody had the same good luck as i do.

Boolit Grand Master

In NC I shoot in my backyard. No one cares. When home in VT I stay at my hunting camp and shoot off the deck, at the parents house we shoot in the backyard. No one bats an eyelash
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    In se Missouri we have a state ,conservation land and range that is free. The hunting area is over 1200 acres with three stocked fishing ponds. They also have a horse and walking trail, small camping areas.This runs along a big creek boat ramp that runs into the Mississippi River and small duck hunting area. Some of the hunting area is flat fields and other spots along the river a billy goat would love. The range has concrete tables and benches which suck. Only because there tough on a gun finish. They have pistole and 22 range up to 25 yards. The next berm over a 50 to 200 yard rifle range and the next berm a 300 yard. The walking lanes are all concrete to the targets. This is a non supervised range and it can be boath good and bad. It’s all open no shade so it can get really hot in the summer. There is also a skeet and trap range with a covered pavilion before you get to the gun range on one side and a nice bow shooting area on the other. The skeet range is conservation and private run you don’t have to be a member I don’t thank but the club runs it at certain hours of the day mostly weekend . I thank it cost 11$ for a round of skeet or trap and 20 clay birds they give you. I have talked to people from St. Louis and farther away that shoot there. That’s 120 miles or more drive. I asked one guy why he drove so far to go shooting? He said because there isint any where eals to go shooting unless you belonged to a private club which is very expensive. Glad it’s only 8 miles from the house. Other areas I have around here are tall creek banks close to the house three miles away people shoot at. It’s only about 30 or so yards shooting but it’s ok for a quick pistole test.

Boolit Master

Upstate NY, north and west of NYC and bordering counties have "State Land", state owned land where hunting is allowed.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Mold
    SW Iowa has a lot of large farms and rolling hills. Most of the time if you just ask the farmer will let you shoot if it is a safe area to begin with. I can shoot right outside by back door as it is downhill to the creek and then goes back up another hill. I have the ground leased for hunting which helps a bunch too.

In ky, they have wildlife management areas that you could in theory shoot on. My buddy hunts them. Each one has its on regulations as to what you can do, and he knows how to find out. I cant remember how he finds out, but he told me. And some of them would permit target shooting. Some are bow hunting only, some allow camping, some only allow shotguns for hunting, or only allow small game hunting. So.... In theory, one could find a sweet spot, and set up a little range for some shooting. Id like to find a spot that would be suitable, just so I have a backup and a change of scenery from the farm sometime.

I too, feel for the folks that dont have access to a place to shoot. So, if anyone needs a place and is near 42724, PM me and i'll invite you to come out to my farm.

Boolit Master

Senator chuck schumer has told me that we have A public range here in NY, he brags about funding that as proof he's not anti gun. I have absolutely no idea where that range is
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    Reading this and other posts here remind me how good I have had it most of my life. I grew up in eastern Washington. Dad had about 80 acers with a "creek" running through it. I say creek but it was actually larger than several rivers I'm familiar with in Wyoming. I could basically shoot any where I wanted to after I got away from the house a couple hundred feet. Where I live in Wyoming I have to drive a couple miles and I can shoot on BLM land without any hassle. When people talk about the "range master" or having to reserve time at the range I have no concept of that.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    When we were in Southwest Michigan the Allegan State game area had a free unsupervised range, Here is Saginaw I do not have a place located yet to just go shoot. I would love to hear of someplace close and out of town.
    Bridgeport gun club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Here un Jacksonville, Fl. I ‘m still looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    I do most of my shooting outdoors on Pubic lands here, and occasionally on private. Dunno about "praise" though. It is just where I go to shoot, safely, and not many mind folks doing it.

I/We don't know where "you" live, which would be kind of nice to know, since you are asking, as well as you have made "me" curious as to why you asked.
    There is extremely little public land in my county in MN. The little there is, it's either wildlife sanctuary, or Prairie restoration parcels. None allow target shooting that I am aware of.

Luckily, there are a couple private clubs that are extremely affordable near me. The one closest to me is $25 a year or $100 lifetime membership...and the other one is $35 (or $40?) per year.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast