Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best States for Free and Easy, No-Pay, No-Hassle Shooting?

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    It is no problem, once you start shooting, don't stop till your done and leaveing, nobody will even peek out their windows, till you stop shooting.

The easiest and cheapest state to shoot in, starts and ends with an A.And no, it isn't in the south. lol
    Except its not nearly as fun to shoot in the winter. I suppose the same could be said about AZ in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Yep. Arizona.

Lived there for seven years and for three of those years, rented a place out in the middle of nowhere and could shoot off of my porch and had ability to shot as far as I wanted to haul the targets on the ATV...

Attachment 217897
    Having shot extensively in both AK and AZ, I must say I really like a Dec shoot at one of the several public ranges that can be found around the outskirts of Phx. Just drive down a dirt road, select a decent spot, set up targets and commence shooting. Great in the Winter anyway. I hope to be an official snow-bird one day, spending my summers in AK and winters in AZ.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    When we were in Southwest Michigan the Allegan State game area had a free unsupervised range, Here is Saginaw I do not have a place located yet to just go shoot. I would love to hear of someplace close and out of town.
    https://www.midnr.com/Publications/p...hootingranges/

Go here, Michigan DNR maintains a list of clubs that have volunteered to have their info published. Go and meet someone at a couple of the listed clubs and they will probably be able to point you to other clubs in the area.

Check with MUCC, Michigan United Conservation Clubs, they also maintain a list of clubs. Their list may be more all inclusive.

And for the OP:
    Don't write off the private clubs, I belong to two gun clubs, wouldn't give up membership in either of them for the matches/leagues and friends. Not many free ranges will you be out shooting and have somebody show up with a 416 Rigby, they hand it to you with a couple rounds and tell you to shoot it���������������� not sure you can have any more fun than that with your clothes on! Pop
    Last edited by 15meter; 04-11-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    https://www.midnr.com/Publications/p...hootingranges/

Go here, Michigan DNR maintains a list of clubs that have volunteered to have their info published. Go and meet someone at a couple of the listed clubs and they will probably be able to point you to other clubs in the area.

Check with MUCC, Michigan United Conservation Clubs, they also maintain a list of clubs. Their list may be more all inclusive.

And for the OP:
    Don't write off the private clubs, I belong to two gun clubs, wouldn't give up membership in either of them for the matches/leagues and friends. Not many free ranges will you be out shooting and have somebody show up with a 416 Rigby, they hand it to you with a couple rounds and tell you to shoot it���������������� not sure you can have any more fun than that with your clothes on! Pop

Hey Pop,
    Thanks for your post. I had no choice but to give up on the local club who asks $150 initiation fee and $100 annual dues. Not everyone here is loaded, at least not with green paper!!!

BTW, I'm surveying for a possible relocation. Needless to say, shooting is a high priority in my situation.

Boolit Buddy
    Having lived in the PNW for several decades, I have seen a consistent decline in the number of places for free, no hassle shooting. Lots of 'public' shooting spots trashed and subsequently closed because of the trash. Lots of private places closed and posted thanks to those who think because it is 'open range' and not cleaning up after themselves. And lots of recreation users (rv'rs, hunters, hikers etc.)now traveling or camping in areas that use to offer 'safe' shooting spots. And even long established developed ranges are threatened by new rural subdivisions. As the population increases in the West the shooting opportunities, like the game are on the decline. Consideration and conservation of open places to shoot should be constant.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trebor44 View Post
    Having lived in the PNW for several decades, I have seen a consistent decline in the number of places for free, no hassle shooting. Lots of 'public' shooting spots trashed and subsequently closed because of the trash. Lots of private places closed and posted thanks to those who think because it is 'open range' and not cleaning up after themselves. And lots of recreation users (rv'rs, hunters, hikers etc.)now traveling or camping in areas that use to offer 'safe' shooting spots. And even long established developed ranges are threatened by new rural subdivisions. As the population increases in the West the shooting opportunities, like the game are on the decline. Consideration and conservation of open places to shoot should be constant.
    That's what you get for welcoming all of those Californians down there...

I lived in Boise back in `88 for a few months after high school. I rented a duplex on Resseguie Street and would take 8th street up into the foothills and shoot and hike all I wanted.

My little brother moved there after high school as well in `97. I visited him and didn't even recognize the area. I drive through Boise once a year or so to visit my sister in Twin Falls and can't believe what it's turned into. No thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by PBSmith View Post
    Hey Pop,
    Thanks for your post. I had no choice but to give up on the local club who asks $150 initiation fee and $100 annual dues. Not everyone here is loaded, at least not with green paper!!!

BTW, I'm surveying for a possible relocation. Needless to say, shooting is a high priority in my situation.
    Don't know where the pop came from on my post was supposed to be a smiley. Official given to me by my parents is Dennis. Just don't ask what my mother-in-law calls me

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Rural NV is nice .
    It's about 10 min to shoot 100-150 in a state/county gravel pit . About 30-45 min out in the desert or a 20 min boat ride and you can shoot as far as you can see . I've set in a duck blind and lost sight of 100ft building over flat water ...... In only 3 of 17 counties and a district is shooting on otherwise open land restricted . The Carson City district has a really nice I'd guess about 60 double lane range that is a city park about 15-20 min from the capital building . Outside of Clark county aka Vegas and sprall the public ranges are free and reasonably short drives . Douglas county is about 95% high rent farm land that butts up to Tahoe and lots of associated farmers in alligator shoes . Washoe county has the major metroplex on the south end but it opens up pretty free 30-45 min north , south or east .

Basically outside of the Reno/Sparks/Carson/Tahoe and Vegas urban clumps and maybe Elko immediate you can shoot all you want within 20 min and with a little poking around 2000 yd isn't hard to find .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Quote Originally Posted by trebor44 View Post
    Thanks for posting on this problem. Precisely the same thing is happening elsewhere, and it's giving shooters and hunters a rotten reputation, though as you point out others rec users are also sometimes to blame.

It really isn't asking all that much to haul your trash home, but unfortunately many who go to the open shooting areas like old gravel pits, quarries and public property view these areas as free city dumps. I can see the day when the Fed and state agencies ban open shooting on public property because of the slobs who abuse the privilege.

Boolit Bub
    Although I am in Illinois, I am lucky that I own land. It's only 20 acres, but it's plenty to shoot on. If it's been muddy or I want a marked range with flat ground, I live about 45 minutes from a range owned by the Army Corps of Engineers. $2 to shoot all day. Outdoor range with 25-50-100 yard distances. Always seems to be pretty friendly people shooting and I have only met a few other people that reload, so I volunteer to pick up peoples brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Bareen View Post
    Although I am in Illinois, I am lucky that I own land. It's only 20 acres, but it's plenty to shoot on. If it's been muddy or I want a marked range with flat ground, I live about 45 minutes from a range owned by the Army Corps of Engineers. $2 to shoot all day. Outdoor range with 25-50-100 yard distances. Always seems to be pretty friendly people shooting and I have only met a few other people that reload, so I volunteer to pick up peoples brass.
    Thanks for posting, Bareen. I lived in your state long ago, Champaign-Urbana area. Recently have wondered about shooting in that flat land. You apparently live in a hilly district, possibly near the Miss R. valley. I won't ask exactly where, but am curious to know the location of the CofE range. I'm surprised to learn about such a facility.

Boolit Master
    I know MA gets knocked as far as gun rights, and it should, but there's still plenty of places to shoot.
    http://www.massgunclubs.org/mass_gun_clubs.htm

I shoot in southern NH, 2 miles or so from my house. I'm not a fan of gun clubs but this one is safe and people leave you alone.
    I gotta say, traveling through Wyoming, North and South Dakota, I was kinda jealous when I saw shooting "ranges" on the side of the road.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    When we were in Southwest Michigan the Allegan State game area had a free unsupervised range, Here is Saginaw I do not have a place located yet to just go shoot. I would love to hear of someplace close and out of town.
    In the Saginaw area there is the Saginaw Rod & Gun Club off M46 West of town. They have trap and skeet as well as pistol and rifle ranges.

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    At the county WMA all you need is a current hunting license or an inexpensive yearly permit. If you're 65 or older all you need is a current drivers license. I've lived in Alabama for more than 40 years and have yet to be checked....
    Tom I've been checked on one occasion at the Swan Creek WMA in Limestone County. At that time I wasn't doing any hunting and so I had just purchased the "Heritage" License that allowed me to shoot there. The Officer chastised me for not paying enough due to the state needing the funds to maintain the range. Now that I'm over 65 I've been hoping that the same officer would show up, but alas he hasn't.
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by PBSmith View Post
    Thanks for posting, Bareen. I lived in your state long ago, Champaign-Urbana area. Recently have wondered about shooting in that flat land. You apparently live in a hilly district, possibly near the Miss R. valley. I won't ask exactly where, but am curious to know the location of the CofE range. I'm surprised to learn about such a facility.
    Yeah, right on the Miss. River. The shooting range I mentioned is the David C. Berti Shooting Range. It is in the spillway area for the dam at the Mark Twain Lake. It is open year round, except for special events, severe ice, or government shutdowns.

I can not help, tho there some ranges in Pa. I happen to be one of those people that can pee off any porch. Can shoot any direction but prefer not to shoot in a couple. I know the backstops are good but I have other options.

Had some good times out here in the swamp with friends deer hunting.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123