Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2400 and 45 colt loads

Quote Originally Posted by barkerwc4362 View Post
    I have a Blackhawk 7 1/2 and a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt. Both are loaded with stout charges of 2400 and the RCBS 255 SWC loaded as cast (about equal to WW + tin). There is a 1 grain difference in loads between the Ruger and Rossi. 2400 likes elevated pressures to burn completely and produce good accuracy. Both loads are in the "Ruger and TC Only" range. But, cases freely drop out of the Ruger and the Rossi shows a little smoking of the case mouths.

Bill
    I have the same Ruger BH and RCBS 255 SWC and am working up a whitetail load. How many grains of Alliant 2400 are you loading for the BH? I am working with a slightly softer alloy and aluminum plainbased checks. Thanks, hc18flyer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    I have the same Ruger BH and RCBS 255 SWC and am working up a whitetail load. How many grains of Alliant 2400 are you loading for the BH? I am working with a slightly softer alloy and aluminum plainbased checks. Thanks, hc18flyer
    I started at 17 grains and went up to 18.0 grains and 18.0 grains shoots good! Better at 18.0gr than 17.0 or 17.5. I've always had good luck with 2400 in 44 mag so I want to be able to use it in 45 Colt too. So far so good.

Ed, you replied to a really old thread! I shot 18 grains of Alliant 2400 with the RCBS 270 SAA and settled back to 17.5 grains for my hunting load, which is plenty for me. I tried some Accurate #9, thought it had a sharper recoil impulse than 2400? hc18flyer

Boolit Buddy
    It is an old thread, huh?! I didn't notice lol. I've never used Accurate #9 but I have noticed that 2400 has a very managable recoil impulse with it. I like it. I've been loading 2400 in 44 mag since back in Elmer Ketith days when he was writing. I worked it all the way up to 22.0 grains in my Ruger with Keith boolits and...like you, I thought it was too much so I wound up settling on 18.0 grains in 44 mag and that gives me 1287 fps in my 7.5" barrel. That's enough for almost anything!

That's why it seemed like a good idea for that 45 Colt too. I havent chroney'd the 18.0 gr in 45 colt yet, or 17.5 actually. I will this summer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12