MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2400 and 45 colt loads

2400 and 45 colt loads

I got a lb of this from a friend of mine and would like to try it in my 45 Henry using 250 grain laser cast with no gas checks. There are no load data for it as I can see. Not sure how much the Henry can handle but would like to give it a try since I am about out of Unique. Any advise where to find some load data for the 250 grain?

Boolit Master

Aliant lists this load:

45 Colt 250 gr Speer LSWC Winchester 1.6 5.5 CCI 300 2400 15.4 972

I've seen +P (ruger only) loads up to 21.5gr (John Taffin load). I'm not sure what that Henry is rated for either but this would be over 30K PSI where the above load from Aliant should be under 15K

Thanks. I'll probably try some but bought some HS-6 today which is first I've found.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My experience with Alliant #2400 in the .45 Colt is that it doesn't produce uniform velocities at standard pressure in the .45 Colt and there are lots better powders. At T/C Contender or "Ruger Only" loads it works well, but I don't know how well your Henry handles hot loads.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    IIRC the Henry won't handle Ruger only, T/C Contender loads. I'd stick with the 45 cowboy loads.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    There are no load data for it as I can see.
    http://stevespages.com/451_2_250.html
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by wizofwas View Post
    IIRC the Henry won't handle Ruger only, T/C Contender loads. I'd stick with the 45 cowboy loads.
    I was thinking just the opposite. I'll be back.

Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    I was thinking just the opposite. I'll be back.
    So far, I found that the Henry can handle the Buffalo Bore +P loads. I am almost positive I read where Henry said it could handle the hot loads. While they will not condone handloads they have said they will hold up. I researched this, as I have the 45c and 357 in steel. Not that I need to push the limits. 10 Gr. of Unique and a 255 cast with a firm crimp cuts holes for me. Very pleasant to shoot also.

Boolit Bub
    Is this a Henry big boy, or the much older version?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    So far, I found that the Henry can handle the Buffalo Bore +P loads. I am almost positive I read where Henry said it could handle the hot loads. While they will not condone handloads they have said they will hold up. I researched this, as I have the 45c and 357 in steel. Not that I need to push the limits. 10 Gr. of Unique and a 255 cast with a firm crimp cuts holes for me. Very pleasant to shoot also.
    10.0 grains of Unique in the Ruger Blackhawk gives a good approximation of the 1873 black-powder ballistics with either Lyman #454190 or #454424 (255 grain bullets). These clock at about 1000-1025 FPS from my Ruger's 7.5" barrel. My Henry Big Boy is a steel-frame in 357 Magnum, and has had no issues with 158 grain bullets that clock @ 1350 FPS from a 4" S&W Model 686. I haven't clocked the 357 loads from the rifle yet.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

It's a newer Big Boy Classic with hardened brass frame. All Henry will tell me is that it will handle Buffalo bore ammo rated +p 260 grain and under. Model Hoo6c

Boolit Master
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    I'm not a fan of single-action revolvers and haven't owned one in a long time, but I tried #2400 in the late '70s in a Ruger Blackhawk using either the Lyman #452424 or #454424 bullet. Results were not impressive and I went back to Unique, even if doesn't go through a measure well. I've since found HS-6 works at east at least as well as Unique with regard to accuracy and velocity.

I don't recall ever trying #2400 in my S&W 25-5 guns in .45 Colt.

I bought some hs6 yesterday.

Boolit Bub
    Granted, it's for a heavier bullet, but have you seen Brian Pearce's article on loading the 45-270-saa?

https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazi...246partial.pdf

There is even HS-6 data.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Blackhawk 7 1/2 and a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt. Both are loaded with stout charges of 2400 and the RCBS 255 SWC loaded as cast (about equal to WW + tin). There is a 1 grain difference in loads between the Ruger and Rossi. 2400 likes elevated pressures to burn completely and produce good accuracy. Both loads are in the "Ruger and TC Only" range. But, cases freely drop out of the Ruger and the Rossi shows a little smoking of the case mouths.

Bill

A lot of the data is for pistols, rifles can use a slower powder like 2400 to give higher performance.
    Being wendyj is using a plain base lead bullet there is a limit to how much you can increase performance over what efficient pistol powders can give before leading becomes a problem.
    The Henry is a strong rifle and don't think your going to have to worry about any " book " load for a 250 gr. cast plain based bullet. Without shooting handloads with different powders in the rifle you will never know what it likes for accuracy. And we all know that only accurate guns are interesting..

Jedman

Boolit Buddy
    The Henry will take the loads from what I understand but will become loose and break mim parts with a steady diet. So I wouldn't load them up like that for range shooting. Best to get a 92 or 94

Boolit Master

I'm going to be honest about 2400, I've never used it before. For full power magnum loads (ruger only +P 45 Colt loads included) I've always used W296/H110 but I won a case of 2400 at an auction recently and I've been wanting to use it. I had purchased a 1lb container of it a number of years ago but have never gotten around to using it. I like the fact that it down loads where W296/H110 does not.

Jedman is correct on the leading. The Rimrock bullets are the most accurate so far with 9.5 grains of Unique but I've spent a few hours yesterday smelling Butchs bore shine all day and a brush with chore boy copper wrapped around it getting lead out. I was looking at another forum and someone stated 9.5 grains of Unique was in 60-7000k pressure limits. That doesn't seem right to me. I'm thinking 14-15k. Advise if I am wrong. Alliant shows max 9.5 gr using lswc and I've ran most at 8.5 which is a colt only load.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast