Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Reloading **DESK** pictures?

Reloading **DESK** pictures?

I've acquired a very nice circa 1960 tanker desk, I'm slowly but surely filling it up with stuff in all the drawers so that I can lock it away.

Anyone out there use a DESK to reload? I'd love to see pictures
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

I use an old, grey desk. I had to remove the center drawer and replaced it with a 4x4 to bolt the RCBS press down to. I put a piece of white, melemite counter top on top.

On another desk, I bolted straight through the top to mount strong mounts for my Dillon SDB's.

The other desk is original and used for my casting area. It has a large, single cabinet door on the left that I store my MEC shotgun press.
    A deplorable that votes!

This old desk served me pretty well for a decade or so. I think by the time I burned it, it had more weight in scabbed on boards and steel then it weighed to begin with.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    This old desk served me pretty well for a decade or so. I think by the time I burned it, it had more weight in scabbed on boards and steel then it weighed to begin with.
    LOL Now that is a crowded reloading desk.
    And I thought my little computer desk was crowded...

Glad it worked out for ya for so long til it gave up the ghost, but whoah nelly, if that desk was one of those cheaper laminate & wood chip desks, I am surprised it took the load for very long. Hope your newer desk/bench is not so crowded, anyway.

Thanks for sharing the pics everyone!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master
    For a few years I used an old computer desk and had to do a LOT or reinforcing to make it useable. Long gone now, but it worked and the price was right.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    LOL Now that is a crowded reloading desk.
    And I thought my little computer desk was crowded...

Glad it worked out for ya for so long til it gave up the ghost, but whoah nelly, if that desk was one of those cheaper laminate & wood chip desks, I am surprised it took the load for very long. Hope your newer desk/bench is not so crowded, anyway.

Thanks for sharing the pics everyone!
    It was the particle board style, why it needed so many braces and you can see the sag in the middle despite the steel reenforcement across the front.

I made my last one to fit the room and to keep it from doing the same thing I made the parameter of it a 5” tall steel truss, with cross bracing where the presses mount and 1/8” steel plate for the top and bottom shelf. The top is drilled and tapped for the various presses but the ones not in use are stored on the bottom shelf.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8A73ACE5-2F10-4B5C-A65E-C7054710A6C7.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    It was the particle board style, why it needed so many braces and you can see the sag in the middle despite the steel reenforcement across the front.

I made my last one to fit the room and to keep it from doing the same thing I made the parameter of it a 5” tall steel truss, with cross bracing where the presses mount and 1/8” steel plate for the top and bottom shelf. The top is drilled and tapped for the various presses but the ones not in use are stored on the bottom shelf.
    The new one is much better! Certainly more room as well! Being by the window I'm sure is a big help too!

Now that I am seeing that new bench, I will have to try to get something a little bigger to use for a desk/bench myself this year, as well. I only have 6 bench style presses right now, but only have 2 mounted on a small computer desk, ( I do use a Lee bench plate system for them though, for fast change over when needed.) and it is the lack of room for doing anything else that crowds me a bit.

Thanks again for sharing!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    This is 25yo craftsman work bench partical board top 1/4” plate under press area works great needs to be bigger but that would be just more junk on top so for now that is as big as it’s going to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

I'll have to take some pictures of the desk.

It's just a desk ATM.
    I'm trying to figure out how to move the press without drilling holes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180406-200954.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	217768

Here's an internet search, this is the exact desk. Except it's the original 60's silver

No pics but I use an old milsurped desk much like that. It works well, and the metal in it is usefully heavy gauged stuff. Without an overhang mounting some presses is tricky but doable. Even though it's heavy and sturdy, I still had to brace the press used for resizing standard and larger rifle cases.

Quote Originally Posted by LAKEMASTER View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180406-200954.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	217768

Here's an internet search, this is the exact desk. Except it's the original 60's silver
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

I have one of those desks in the shop.Freeby,original gubment grey.It has a modest but extremely useful drafting machine on it which stows away.

It would make a dandy bench top lathe cabinet,with some very minor changes.Heck,the center drawer could be the chip collector/drawer.Maybe "ice" the post legs and go with 2 precast concrete pods?or sumthin.Just needs to be more "anchored" for machine tool base.Would be better than 1/2 the cheapy chicom lathe bases on the market.

What I'm going to try, it's just mounding the presses on a 2x6. Then simply putting a C clamp in the press side in working on.

The desk is going to have a lap top on it as well.

If my attempts fail, I'll make a bolting system in the drawer.

Boolit Buddy
    2bys and C clamps work very well for all my normal reloading presses, allows me to rearrange the bench. One of my swage presses has been TEMPORARELY (2 yrs) held in place with c clamps.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian" Henry Ford