Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Molds for PPK in 32 ACP

Boolit Master

Molds for PPK in 32 ACP

I bought an old Walther PPK in 32 ACP at a local auction recently, and wondered if anyone was casting and reloading for one of these. If so, what bullet molds do you suggest? And what kind of loads are you using?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    PPk in .32 ACP less reliable than PP, but I have lots of experience loading for former German Police trade-in PPs with these bullets:

Attachment 217710Attachment 217711Attachment 217712

Load either 5.6 grains of Alliant #2400, 3 grains of AutoComp or 2.6-2.8 grs. Unique.

If you PM me I can send you .pdf copy of The Fouling Shot with detailed .32 ACP data, or search archives of my posts here.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    My PP likes Lyman 311252 sized to .309 cast relatively soft.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a Walther PP (year stamp "64") that dotes upon Lymans #311252 and #313249. Sizing is at .311". "252" runs at 900-920 FPS using 2.6 grains of WW-231. With "249", 2.5 grains of Unique gives about 800-820 FPS. With my pistol's fixed/rudimentary sighting gear, the "252" load shoots very close to the sights; the heavier bullet hits a bit higher. These loads have accounted for a good number of jackrabbits and a few ground squirrels over the years.

I have yet to carry any 32 ACP as a social engineering device, owing to 1) regulations that restricted my choices in that venue and 2) not much confidence that such a light caliber was a good option as felon repellent. It has been a delightful little field piece for small game and varmints, though. Outpost's writings on this site concerning the 32 ACP are treasure troves of information for someone wishing to extend the capabilities of the 32 ACP a bit with higher velocities and heavier bullets, and I cannot help thinking that the flat-nosed bullet selections he shows above would be far superior designs for street work (or hunting) than the round-nose and/or FMJ selections that the caliber is usually limited to. All of this assumes that the pistol under consideration will feed some designs other than classic FMJ/RN; the Walther I mention herein will feed HPs and truncated-cone designs quite well.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    Ive been looking at the 31-084 mold also. Would like to hear more about it. Hornady XTP are cheap 15 per 100 but would like to cast for it

Boolit Master

NOE still has a few of the tumble lube Ranch Dogs left from the group buy we ran a year or two back:

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...7pgikmsnoq3a93

I had good luck stoking them with Green Dot, but that was more a matter of cleaning up leftover powder than seeking out "the load".
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

+1 on Big Slug's recommendation on Green Dot above. His data is also summarized and acknowledged in the Fouling Shot article.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Saeco 325
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Saeco 325
    Great choice IF your pistol will feed it. But because that design was intended for revolver use, they drop .314+ and for most .32 ACPs it would require alot of sizing. Tom at Accurate has 31-095T for a big-meplat .32 ACP which casts to correct diameter and feeds in original Colt M1903s and Beretta M1935s, Walther PPs with 1.8 grains of Bullseye, 2.3 grs. of HP38, 2.5 grs. of AutoComp or 5.2 grs. of Alliant #2400

Attachment 217732
    Last edited by Outpost75; 04-06-2018 at 12:45 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I would love to have a ppk but finances don't allow . had to settle for cz50 (ppk copy sort of) I use the rcbs 77gr rn. Also cut down a Lee 93 gr rn so that it only has one lube groove it worked out to sixty five gr. I use red dot 2.3 gr for the rcbs 77gr. And for the 65 gr Lee 2.5 gr of red dot. Good luck and enjoy . will admit to being a little jealous.

Boolit Master
    .32 ACP, 7.65 Browning was the cal. Of choice in Europe for decades. The South African National police recently switched cal. From .32 ACP. I read just recently that the .32 ACP has the same stopping power as standard velocity .38 special. I own 3, and want a Seacamp.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    I would love to have a ppk but finances don't allow . had to settle for cz50 (ppk copy sort of) I use the rcbs 77gr rn. Also cut down a Lee 93 gr rn so that it only has one lube groove it worked out to sixty five gr. I use red dot 2.3 gr for the rcbs 77gr. And for the 65 gr Lee 2.5 gr of red dot. Good luck and enjoy . will admit to being a little jealous.
    I was looking at the 75 grain Lyman mold since a local distributor has one in stock. And I have an 8 pound jug of PROMO that I usually use for 12 gauge trap loads. So, how many rounds will that last me?

Boolit Master

I do not know of this PROMO of which you speak, but figure two (ish) grains is a pretty typical charge for most .32 propellants.

You'll be north of 3,000 rounds per pound with that math.
    Last edited by Bigslug; 04-07-2018 at 10:19 PM.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    My cz-70 is happy with RD 314-75 RF and Lee 311-93 RN
    8 lbs? At 3500 rds/ lb that comes to 28,000 rds. OK, 25,000 at 2+ grains per round.
    Better start booking range time .
    Last edited by Boolseye; 04-09-2018 at 08:49 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boolseye View Post
    My cz-70 is happy with RD 314-75 RF and Lee 311-93 RN
    8 lbs? At 3500 rds/ lb that comes to 28,000 rds. OK, 25,000 at 2+ grains per round.
    Better start booking range time .
    Will the barrel in a PPK last 25,000 rounds of lead projectiles pushed by 2 grains of powder? And I don't have far to the shooting range. I shoot out of the back door in my barn down my 130 yard range. Although I usually place targets closer if shooting one of the smaller arms such as the 32 ACP Walther PPK.

Boolit Master
    Will the barrel in a PPK last 25,000 rounds of lead projectiles pushed by 2 grains of powder?
    Haven't a clue. I've heard that cast wears barrels much slower than jacketed, so my suspicion would be–change out the recoil spring and shoot another 25,000