Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range officer ....Carry ?

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

Range officer ....Carry ?

What would be your opinion of using a 9mm Ranger Officer for daily carry ? Preferred carry would be shoulder carry but also IWB at times when impossible to conceal with shoulder carry . Thank you !
    No turning back , No turning back !

The standard Range Officer target model is a fine shooter but the sights make it problematic for carry as they stick up high and would undoubtedly catch on everything.
    The Range Officer Operator is set up for exactly what you are talking about with combat style sights. I expect it would be a fine shooter as well.
    They also make a Range Officer compact model specifically for carry that is smaller and lighter.
    Any of them will put the bullet where you want it to go if you do your part.
    How much weight are you willing to carry?

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    The standard Range Officer target model is a fine shooter but the sights make it problematic for carry as they stick up high and would undoubtedly catch on everything.
    The Range Officer Operator is set up for exactly what you are talking about with combat style sights. I expect it would be a fine shooter as well.
    They also make a Range Officer compact model specifically for carry that is smaller and lighter.
    Any of them will put the bullet where you want it to go if you do your part.
    How much weight are you willing to carry?
    In a shoulder rig a 'full' size is not a problem . IWB a compact would be nice , of coarse the compact wouldn't make a pocket gun because of size . I'm a little torn as to which one as both would be nice but don't have the 'funding' for the luxury of both .

Boaz are you wanting a full size pistol? And most people after a while tend to get away from shoulder carry for some reason.

If you want a full size pistol IWB I have good success carrying mexican style & forget the holster. Try it you might like it.

Boolit Master
    My brother caries one daily, he likes it, it made him retire his xds9. He carries iwb apendix.

Boolit Master

De Santis C&L Thumb Break Scabbard and call it done: https://www.desantisholster.com/THUMBBREAK-SCABBARD-C-L
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned
    I'm not a fan of shoulder holsters unless there is some specific situation that demands their use. That's not holy writ and to each his own.

The 9mm Springfield Range Officer is a steel, full size 1911 pattern pistol. If you're proficient with a 1911 and that's your choice of platforms, great. However, as someone that carried the 1911 for some time (years), I can honestly say that the 4.25" barreled, lightweight Commander was as large of a pistol as I wanted to wag around.

It isn't the length of the full size 1911 that is the issue, it's the weight. When carrying a pistol day in, day out; weight becomes a factor. Something that Seems perfectly OK for 10 or 15 minutes may not be OK all day, every day.

If you are settled on 9mm in a SA 1911 style platform, I would suggest that you put a lightweight Commander style pistol on your list. This is a gun that is carried a lot and shot a little.
    Just my $0.02

Banned
    I generally carry a 1911. I carry either a full size 1911 or my Colt officers 1911. I have had some trouble with the sights on the full sized 1911. The shorter officers and its sights are easier to get out of the holster for me. To be honest I would consider the XDE over the full sized 1911.

Boolit Master
    Love that gun it is fine combat handgun with the right sights.

The way one carries is a very subjective topic what is comfortable for me may not be comfortable or even practical for you. That's what we have the famous holster box

Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    Boaz are you wanting a full size pistol? And most people after a while tend to get away from shoulder carry for some reason.

If you want a full size pistol IWB I have good success carrying mexican style & forget the holster. Try it you might like it.
    LAH I agree that a lot of folks give up shoulder carry pretty quick but I carry a tuned up CZ 82 a lot during the winter shoulder carry then revert to IWC during the Texas summers . Frankly the last few years I have went pocket carry with an LCP because I got lazy and it's so easy . I might try the Mexican style ...I never have , thank you .

I thank all for the suggestions , haven't made my mind up and still thinking about the compact . Would be easier and more versatile as far as weight and size .

Boolit Grand Master
    Best part of this whole thread--learning that I am not the only member with a holster box!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Best part of this whole thread--learning that I am not the only member with a holster box!
    Just one holster box? I guess I have been doing this too long.

Boolit Master

You're not really a gunnie unless you have at least one holster box.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Dang it ! Now I have to get a holster box .

Banned
    There are two types of handgun owners: Those that have a holster box and those that will have a holster box

Boolit Master

I have an alloy frame compact ( 3 and 1/2 inch ) in 9mm. Its pretty easy to carry even if my back is bothering me. Kinda wish i had a lightweight in commander length, But i'm gonna keep the all steel for target work. The list of wants is never ending. Need a holster box - and a gun box
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Buddy
    There are two problems with it for CCW, 1st is the sights like said earlier but Harrison Design has excellent replacement sights for the LPA cut sights. The 2nd is the biggest and I am going to get flamed for this one and it is that it is a 9mm. Now before everyone and their brother starts telling me that their fill in the blank 1911 in 9mm runs like a singer, when in truth they only put 50 to 100 rounds out of it. The 1911 was designed around the 45 acp and 38 super. A good read about making a 1911 run in 9mm is at Bill Wilson's web site, and after you read that get off the square range and shoot your carry 1911 in a local USPSA or IDPA matches and see how it does.
    I'm not trying to be an A##hole, but I take CCW very seriously and practice and take training classes when ever I can. You learn a lot about your self and your carry gun when you do. And yes I do carry a 1911 in 38 super same amount of rounds more reliable and an edge at stopping power.

Have you considered the Springfield EMP4? Same build quality, slightly smaller alloy frame built around 9mm dimensions. I've been eyeballing one for awhile, the catch is they are expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    There are two problems with it for CCW, 1st is the sights like said earlier but Harrison Design has excellent replacement sights for the LPA cut sights. The 2nd is the biggest and I am going to get flamed for this one and it is that it is a 9mm. Now before everyone and their brother starts telling me that their fill in the blank 1911 in 9mm runs like a singer, when in truth they only put 50 to 100 rounds out of it. The 1911 was designed around the 45 acp and 38 super. A good read about making a 1911 run in 9mm is at Bill Wilson's web site, and after you read that get off the square range and shoot your carry 1911 in a local USPSA or IDPA matches and see how it does.
    I'm not trying to be an A##hole, but I take CCW very seriously and practice and take training classes when ever I can. You learn a lot about your self and your carry gun when you do. And yes I do carry a 1911 in 38 super same amount of rounds more reliable and an edge at stopping power.
    Consider yourself flamed. My Springfield Range Officer in 9mm has something over 4000 rounds through it with only one failure to feed in that time and that one was my fault.
    I am old enough to know I can't compete in USPSA or IDPA matches because of my eyes and other physical challenges. My usage is mostly for home defense but with a good holster, it will serve for CCW as well.
    I understand your reasoning about the design of the 1911(I don't necessarily agree with that) and I read Mr Wilson's comments on 9mm in 1911 pistols. He had nothing bad to say about them that I saw, in fact was in favor of them.
    I like the control and accuracy I get with mine. Putting the rounds where they need to be is the name of the game. I can do that with this pistol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast