MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
PBcastcoWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Timber (My Avatar) Has Cancer

Boolit Master
    curdog, you have our most sincere and profound sympathy. When they leave us, they always take a piece of our heart with them. Would love to see a pic of Winnie when you can and when you're ready.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Banned

My prayers go to you and your family today. Some may criticize me for saying this but loosing a dog is as hard on me as loosing a close family member. I think I shed more tears over our last dog when he died then I did ever in my life over anything. I keep is picture in my avatar so i can say good morning to him every day!
    Quote Originally Posted by curdog View Post
    We lost our 10 year old black mouth cur Winnie yesterday. Winnie had bone marrow cancer and went very fast. I pray for the best for Smoke because you cant find a more loyal friend than a good dog.

Boolit Master
    Nobody should ever be criticised for making the wrong decision in a situation like this.

Our cairn terrier when I was twelve had a sister who was born missing about half a foreleg. It was probably the breeders' fault, for breeding far too late in the parents' life. But they used to play at frantic speed whenever they met, and Sheila never seemed to enjoy life any the less. She had never know what having four feet is. Lanty Hanlon, our current Irish terrier, will warn off male dogs three times his weight - never small ones, even if they howl for his blood, because people would talk, and he knows it is only some mistake. But he has a friend who is a lurcher - greyhound sized, but wire-haired and just a shade paler than Lanty's auburn. That dog was rescued after severe maltreatment, and had a hind leg amputated after being mauled by a pit bull. But he still loves running, and he must be amazingly resilient, because he is totally undismayed by a manic terrier who has found that he can keep up with a dog he shouldn't be able to. An hour after they met he was asleep on our kitchen floor and Lanty, lying on his doormat, was looking out as usual, like a cowtown marshal surveying Main Street, not looking in.

Neither of those had the word "crippled" in their vocabulary, and I don't know if they are even aware of not getting around as easily as they used to. They certainly don't have to worry about being unemployed, and not meeting their mortgage payments. The psychological impact is nothing like what it would be for a human.

A dog can be bright and active at 11 and a while after. It's very much like my own age, and I would take a lot more years with any number of limbs I can get. But the cases I described weren't cancer. With accidental injury the results tend to be predictable. But as people have suggested, the key factor in cancer is the rather considerable chance that it will recur. There is no substitute for having a good vet you trust not to go for more lucrative business, and base your decision on the way he estimates the chances for your dog in particular.

Boolit Master
    An update on Timber.

He's still with us, still mostly good days. Been nearly 6 weeks since he was diagnosed. Yesterday he was limping pretty bad, today not so much. The Rimadyl (doggy Ibuprofen) helps a lot.

We have him on several different herbs and supplements which supposedly slow or reduce the spread of the cancer. With the exception of one supplement, which has to be squirted into his mouth with a syringe, all are administered (hidden) in organic beef, organic cottage cheese and high end sardines in olive oil. He turns his nose up at the cheap $1.00/tin sardines.

Last night I grilled/smoked Filet Mignon steaks, marinated vegetables and a Tri-tip. Timber got 3 or 4 good sized bites of both the Filet Mignon and the Tri-tip.

We're obviously watching his walking very carefully as the cancer is concentrated at the top of his left front Humorous and we're watching his breathing, as osteosarcoma is notorious for metastasizing to the lungs.

Cancer is nothing but the devil's work, but this extra time with him is a God-send.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."

Boolit Master
    God bless you all. From one dog man to another!

Banned

usually my steak is either sirloin or venison on the grill. That said my dad shake his head at me. When I cook steak for the wife and I theres allways one for the dog too!

Moderator Emeritus

They are family. When I make eggs I make Ruger two or three eggs over easy. Likes that better than raw. Hey, he is my buddy and a great companion.

Boolit Master
    Nor many people would give raw egg or oiy sardines to a dog with Lanty's whiskers, and regular steak is a bit much, when he likes toasted cheddar just as much. But my wife got a deeply coveted job in January, and Lanty got his own personal steak that day, and a teddy-bear as big as himself. They'd do it for us.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lanty and Truffle 1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	220495

I found out something pretty unpleasant recently. A few weeks back Lanty was attacked, without a shred of provocation, by a Staffordshire or pit bull terrier. It charged across the park while he was on the lead, a yard inside the gate. Lanty was ferocious (whippet lungs with a tenor larynx), but didn't bite while he could get out of it. I got him out of the park, but the really surprising thing was that while the bull terrier was raving at the railings, I held him and felt his pulse slowing to normal in seconds, like Hannibal Lecter. He just beamed at me, plainly saying "The help was appreciated, but I'd have managed." I don't know though, for there is a good chance a bigger dog will be put off by a therapeutic nip, but I don't think a pit bull would care.

I heard several reports of that same dog, I think, biting others. I suspect that his owner wasn't quite up to canine standards. Then came this report, on the BBC, that the dog, now deceased, was involved in fatally injuring a greyhound.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-43344061
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 05-16-2018 at 03:26 AM.

Boolit Master
    Didn't realize how long it has been since I updated Timber's condition.

The "herbal remedies" we've been giving him seem to be doing some good. We eliminated his pain meds for 4 straight days, but since one of his holistics (which seems to play a substantial role in lessening his pain) has to be stopped every 11 day, for 3 days, to prevent a reduction of its effect from a possibility of his system getting used to it, his pain hit him last night with a vengeance. As soon as we recognized what was happening we got 2 Tramadols into him.

For nearly 3 hours, he was in quite a bit of pain. Not whining or whimpering, but kept shifting position to try and make it stop. The Mrs. and I laid on the floor with him, talking and petting him.

He's much more comfortable today. Still has a good appetite. Still can walk on his own (with a pronounced limp). Back on the herbals (Artemesinin) and anti-inflammatories (Carprofen), we're optimistic that we will see considerably less lameness tomorrow.

In spite of last night's setback, he's still experiencing a lot more good than bad. He lays by the front door and naps, dreams and watches the world go by.

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Mold
    Atreyu, my last dog had gotten a growth on his leg. We had it tested and it turned out cancerous. We spent about $1500 and had it removed when he was 7. We got 2 good years out of him before he had cancer spreading in his body. We put him down before he got bad but was starting to struggle and he just couldn't seem to catch his breath when he exerted himself. My wife and I decided it was time and made an appt. He actually had a decent stretch of dogs those last few... so I was a bit torn, but am convinced now it was the right choice.

He had actually gotten scrawny... and I put him on 'doggie hospice' his last 6 months or so. He always liked eating treats and such, and started mixing in wet food and stuff (he'd always had dry) pretty much everyday. He was downright plump in the end.

There's never a right time I can tell you... but I will say this: You obviously love your dog and want what's best for him. Whatever you decide is the right choice and feel good that you've given him a good life and you will make whatever end he comes to is dignified.

The night before last my ~6 month old pup I got 3 days after we took Atreyu for his last right got snake bit by a poisonous snake other than a coral snake. ~$1200 for antivenom/pain pills/antibiotics and she's back up and running after being in very bad shape. You do the best you can. I could have done more for her, like blood transfusions... because she was really struggling for a bit... but at a certain point, I figured I'd done as much as I was comfortable with.
    Last edited by charleswrivers; 06-05-2018 at 09:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    Been remiss in updating Timber's condition. Happily, he passed a milestone about a week and half ago (6/17). On 4/17/2018, the veterinary oncologist gave him 2 months to live if we didn't agree to amputate his left front leg at the shoulder and start chemo immediately after.

Thanks to the herbal/holistic supplements, one being a supplement that is more commonly known for treating malaria symptoms, Timber is doing surprisingly well. He has a noticeable limp for the first minute or two after he stands up, but that almost completely disappears after that. He's needed only one Tramadol in the last couple of weeks and gets only two Carprofen each day for pain and inflammation. His sodium intake is limited and his iron intake is moderated.

Life is still good for Timber and we feel super blessed that we've been able to keep him happy and with us a little bit longer.

Name:	Timber.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	222982

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    I saw this the other day and thought of this thread

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	222984
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Buddy
    smokeywolf I am happy to hear that Timber is still with you and having good days. I have been sitting here reading the whole thread with tears in my eyes. I recently lost my dog to cancer, it was very aggressive, spread through him like a wildfire. Timber is lucky to have a human like you. God Bless Timber and you and yours Sir.

Boolit Master
    Thank you BPSharps. I'm so sorry to for your loss.
    Timber and I are both blessed to have Mrs. smokeywolf taking care of the both of us. While I started the research on diet and holistic treatment for Timber's osteosarcoma, she finished it, put it all together and implemented it.

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Thanks rl69

Why Dogs Never Die… This Guy Completely Nails It.

Bryce Harper

Some of you, particularly those who think they have recently lost a dog to “death”, don’t really understand this. I’ve had no desire to explain, but won’t be around forever and must.

Dogs never die. They don’t know how to. They get tired, and very old, and their bones hurt. Of course they don’t die. If they did they would not want to always go for a walk, even long after their old bones say:” No, no, not a good idea. Let’s not go for a walk.” Nope, dogs always want to go for a walk. They might get one step before their aging tendons collapse them into a heap on the floor, but that’s what dogs are. They walk.

It’s not that they dislike your company. On the contrary, a walk with you is all there is. Their boss, and the cacaphonic symphony of odor that the world is. Cat poop, another dog’s mark, a rotting chicken bone ( exultation), and you. That’s what makes their world perfect, and in a perfect world death has no place.

However, dogs get very very sleepy. That’s the thing, you see. They don’t teach you that at the fancy university where they explain about quarks, gluons, and Keynesian economics. They know so much they forget that dogs never die. It’s a shame, really. Dogs have so much to offer and people just talk a lot.

When you think your dog has died, it has just fallen asleep in your heart. And by the way, it is wagging it’s tail madly, you see, and that’s why your chest hurts so much and you cry all the time. Who would not cry with a happy dog wagging its tail in their chest. Ouch! Wap wap wap wap wap, that hurts. But they only wag when they wake up. That’s when they say: “Thanks Boss! Thanks for a warm place to sleep and always next to your heart, the best place.”

When they first fall asleep, they wake up all the time, and that’s why, of course, you cry all the time. Wap, wap, wap. After a while they sleep more. (remember, a dog while is not a human while. You take your dog for walk, it’s a day full of adventure in an hour. Then you come home and it’s a week, well one of your days, but a week, really, before the dog gets another walk. No WONDER they love walks.)

Anyway, like I was saying, they fall asleep in your heart, and when they wake up, they wag their tail. After a few dog years, they sleep for longer naps, and you would too. They were a GOOD DOG all their life, and you both know it. It gets tiring being a good dog all the time, particularly when you get old and your bones hurt and you fall on your face and don’t want to go outside to pee when it is raining but do anyway, because you are a good dog. So understand, after they have been sleeping in your heart, they will sleep longer and longer.

But don’t get fooled. They are not “dead.” There’s no such thing, really. They are sleeping in your heart, and they will wake up, usually when you’re not expecting it. It’s just who they are.

I feel sorry for people who don’t have dogs sleeping in their heart. You’ve missed so much. Excuse me, I have to go cry now.

This is so true, and this guy really captured it perfectly. SHARE this with your dog-loving friends.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    Thank you for reposting. I don't know why it downsized ?
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master

smokeywolf Sir, Julie and I are better knowing that your Pup is doing better.
    Some may think we go a little over the top for our pet friends Read as (family members)
    Prayers for you and your precious animal friend.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master
    Thank you gray wolf.

Timber had a couple of bad days, weekend before last. Was starting to think Monday (last week) would be a terribly sad day. On Monday he was much improved and by Tuesday was moving and acting at near 100%. With the exception of once a couple of days ago, we've been able to take Timber off the heavy duty pain meds.

Oncologist gave Timber 2 months. He's now at 3 months and 6 days. Timber is still enjoying life, still gets excited over his breakfast and dinner and still gets excited about going out to patrol his yard and re-mark his territory.

- Thomas Jefferson

Banned

Im glad hes still with you and will continue to pray for him. I measure a man by the way he treats his dog. I don't have a single friend that doesn't have a dog. Ive got some that are in between dogs but all of them are dog people. I thought when the last one passed id never have another because of the pain but bottom line is I could live without the love of a women and did for over 12 years but living without the unconditional love of a dog just doesn't seem like living to me. When that big 100lb lummox hops up in my lap and puts his head on my shoulder and stares into my eyes all is right with the world.

Boolit Master
    This is the update that I have dreaded posting.

Yesterday was the day that life became more bad than good for Timber.

Had the vet come to the house this morning. Timber left this world that he brightened so much, at 10:25 this AM.
    During his lifetime, he attended many local school functions and did some therapy work at the Motion Picture Hospital. Even being part wolf, he never nipped or growled at anyone. He would often whine when people walked by without stopping to pet him.

He took a piece of our hearts with him. There's 3 of us in the house, yet the house seems empty.

Thanks to all of you who offered words of support.

- Thomas Jefferson

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast