Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Timber (My Avatar) Has Cancer

Moderator Emeritus

Gee whiz, Wolf! I HATE to hear this kind of news. As to advice, I really can't give any. I think you, being on the scene and loving this great dog the way you do, are the only one who can or ought to make the decisions in a case like this. All I can say is God bless you both and may God lead you to the best and most "right" decision. The only bad thing about great dogs, is the loss we feel when we lose them, or when they're hurting. Let the Lord lead you, and if it's his time to go, just let him go.

Most theology says that dogs have no soul, and can't go to Heaven with us. I'm not so sure of that. No animal in creation loves the way our good dogs do, and I can't help but wonder, and tend to believe, that this may well earn them a place in Paradise. It'll be great to see all my friends and relatives who've gone on before me, especially Mom and Dad again. But how could anyone NOT be overjoyed to see our best old canine friends, running and jumping on us, so happy to see us? If I'm wrong, I guess I'll just have to be wrong. I trust God to make the best of all possible decisions much moreso than I do myself. But whatever the case, I know for sure that the love they instill in us, and give us so selflessly, will never die. It can't help but change us, and make us better people. So in any case, at least part of them will always be with us, no matter what. I find some comfort in that, even when I mourn the loss of "one of the good ones." God bless you both.

I've spent my fair share on my dogs. Spent a ton on a little one getting back surgery, never did recover and put him down a few months later. I'd not do another.
    Unless you can spend this money freely, and truly could throw the whole amount out and never worry about it or have a second thought, I'd say don't do it.
    Way too many downsides. Yep, I know. He's part of the family, but he is just a dog, remember that. Don't spend big money if you have other needs. Not cash, nor credit.

Boolit Master
    I would never agree that dogs don’t a soul .... so I am with Blackwater on that. Whether their “heaven” is at one with humans is way above my pay grade ..... I hope our heaven is the same as their’s and that I get to find out.

I do think there is merrit to consider economics and age is a factor but I also wonder about how dogs actually feel while being treated directly for cancer and age also factors there as well.

Whether it has been our aging cats or one of our dogs I look at the quality of life for the companion .... ie. If that pet could make the decision with 20/20 clarity, what would it chose. We people can easily be swept up in not wanting to miss our friend and transposing our “needs” with what the animal would prefer if it could have input.

I apologize if that seems cold, I assure all that is not my intention.

Three44s

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I hope all works out. Dogs can truly be a best friend there is nothing in my power I would not do for mine.

Boolit Master
    I had a beautiful Siberian husky that got cancer some many years ago. We found it too late....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    In 1991, we discovered that our shepherd-husky had bone cancer in her rear leg. She was ten at the time. We went the amputation/chemo route, and to this day, I regret it. She did fine on three legs but the cancer spread to her front leg within 3 months. Everyone has things they'd like to redo in their lives - having her leg amputated and putting her through the chemo is just about #1 on my regret list.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    In 1991, we discovered that our shepherd-husky had bone cancer in her rear leg. She was ten at the time. We went the amputation/chemo route, and to this day, I regret it. She did fine on three legs but the cancer spread to her front leg within 3 months. Everyone has things they'd like to redo in their lives - having her leg amputated and putting her through the chemo is just about #1 on my regret list.
    The nature of what the cancer could/will do is certainly the wild card.

So sad

Three44s

Boolit Master

Smokey, so sorry to hear about Timber. My prayers are outgoing for both of you.

Back in March of '16 my golden Arrow was diagnosed with a cancer ,(don't remember the exact type), under the skin on his right ribcage. Just a huge flat lump. My vet said it could be removed, the cost was way more than I had, so I charged it to a credit card.

He was 11 years old and in otherwise good health. Pretty old for a golden retriever, but I wasn't ready to say goodbye. He had a rough time of it, had to spend overnight at the clinic. Was pretty chipper the next day, came home in the afternoon.

The tumor weighed 9 pounds! The cancer type was identified, she couldn't get it all, it had grown into the ribs. It would/did regrow, but it had evolved/morphed into a hard lumpy tumor that the vet said would break through the skin.

What I'm trying to say is; it gave me almost another 6 months with him, knowing that another surgery was out of the question, as much as it cost and he didn't do well on the first one. Chemo and or radiation was offered, expensive and no guarantees, for either one. He got special treats, no more diets because he was too heavy, and got lifted into the car for his favorite activity, car rides. He didn't appear to be in pain until about a month before the tumor broke through the skin. Pain pills were given, seemed to help, you just can't really tell if they're in pain.

Would I do it again? Yes without a doubt. It gave me time to deal with loosing him, time to shower him with special treats and lots of love.

I live alone, so a dog is the only company I have. The house was like a tomb so the search started the next day for another golden. I located a breeder not too far from my home that had 3 puppies available. From the time I heard of them, to when I was at their house was 3 hours! Louie came home 5 days later, he just had his first birthday. What a joyful last year it's been watching a puppy grow and learn, it has made me feel younger. It helps heal the deep emotional wound left when Arrow passed.

As for whether a dog has a soul, I have no doubts. We have the poem "the rainbow bridge", If that's how it happens, I will be greeted by about a dozen pups from my first best buddy at age 5 to the last, Arrow. Heaven would not be complete without those that we loved in our lifetime being with us.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    Battis, while your experience doesn't offer the kind of hope we would want, you have faced this and as they say, "been there and done that". Thanks for your input.

To all,
    We have an appt. with the oncologist a week from tomorrow. While my decision won't be made until I speak with her, it will boil down to what will allow me to sleep at night.

Timber has been the most loving 4-legged family member we've ever been blessed to have with us. For our family and for geriatric patients at at least one hospital, Timber has been a therapy dog (wolfdog).

Attachment 218155
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Moderator Emeritus

I have had to put down a few dogs over the years. Typing this through tears. Never easy. I live alone now and have my 10 1/2 month old Great Pyrenees. I dread the day I have to make the decision again but know the joy he will bring me. We had a Cocker Spaniel with a huge tumor. Vet gave her 6 months. We had heard about giving flaxseed pills and tried it. She lived almost 3 years without much pain. I still take flaxseed oil myself just in case. Your decision is tough but I am with others who said consider their quality of life and ask is that how I would want to live. Only you can decide that. Good luck and prayers sent.

Boolit Master
    I still ask myself if putting her through the treatment added time to her life or took some away. As we all know, cancer is a tricky business. Did the amputation cause the cancer to spread, or did it slow it down? But, remember, this was back in 1991 and I'm sure they've made advances since then. I had a sarcoma (cancerous tumor) removed from my leg in 2003, followed by 35 days of radiation. They told me that if it had happened ten years earlier, they would have taken the leg. I'm still here, with both legs.
    That is a very tough decision you have to make.

Smokeywolf...I'm sorry as well. Back in 2002 I had a black lab/golden retriever mix that had bone cancer at 10.5 years old. It was one of the toughest decisions I ever had to make but....I made it and I'm glad I did. I had her put down when she could no longer walk. It wasn't fair to her...and it wasn't fair to us as a family to let her go on.

I have to say...it was difficult...but time heals the pain. We're now on the second dog since her...I won't ever forget her, her personality, my hunting partner, a great family pet...but I made the right decision based on what was best for her and us at the time.

It's so hard and I feel for you...but believe me...you'll be able to move forward from this....you'll never forget Timber and you won't want to and those great times will always be with you.

Sorry for the hurt...but think about what's best for him. He's had a good life. Even if you did decide to have the leg amputated likely you're looking at another year with him at most due to his age. the larger breeds don't live past 11-12 typically.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

I've been through this several times with my Rots. Last one 5 years ago. A friend that is also a Vet says that typically you only get a few extra months from the chemo and you put the dog through the trauma of it. My last Rot had it in the rear right leg and the Vet advised against amputation because of the age and size of the dog. She went down hill in a hurry and it broke my heart to have her put down but it was time and she was in a lot of pain.
    In retrospect the money would have been wasted had I gone with the amputation. From discovery to death, time was 2 months.
    My sympathy is with you since I have been through it too many times but I keep signing up for it and the good out weighs the bad.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Banned

Man I'm so sorry. My dog is family and I know how you feel. I guess I have to agree though with some that say the best bet is to hold off till hes suffering and have him painlessly put down. At 11 hes an old man. Old dogs like old people heal slowly and chemo and amputation are going to be rough on him. He probably will be in pain until he dies. If he was 5 or 6 id be willing to even take out a second mortgage but not at 11. If I was 80 and found out I had cancer and needed chemo and an amputation I wouldn't do it myself and don't think id put my loved pet through it either. Money wouldn't play into my decision. Quality of life is what id be putting at the top of my priority list. I know you love your dog but would you be doing this for him or for you? That's the real question. Ill say a prayer for both of you though. No matter which route you go. Real love sometimes takes hard decisions.

Boolit Master

Wishing the best for both of you. I’ll keep you in my prayers!

Boolit Master
    We have two fantastic farm dogs right now but their predecessor (Jack) is the dog I miss the most.

He made it to 14 yr. but we believe he was suffering from renal failure. He was not feeling to good one morning and I tested him with some cooked chicken. He had been pretty mobile prior to that time though his hearing was about shot and if he bailed off the feed wagon I had to run out and rescue him because the cow herd knew he was deaf and they tried to steam roll him from behind (out of revenge) ... he had nipped a lot of heals in his fourteen years and our mamma cows can hold a grudge.

In his day Jack would fight a buzz saw for a piece of chicken. But this day he refused to even sniff it. I knew he was in misery. I took him to his Vet and got the confirmation I hoped I would not hear. The vet said we could keep him around for a while with meds but the quality of life would not be much.

Jack was a dog’s dog. As a young dog his idea of entertainment was to swing from bullie tails. When the bull slowed down a spinnin’ Jack would let loose to see how much air time he could get.

As he got older he would size up a pair of bulls fighting and chose a tail to pull on to try to break up the disturbance. In case you are wondering, Jack was an Australian Shepard.

It has been 11 years since we had Jack put out of his misery. He lived a grand life and he deserved to be released from undue suffering and yes my heart broke as he drew his last breath but I knew it was for him the only compassionate decision.

Now I will go wipe away some tears

Best regards

Three44s

Boolit Master
    Tomorrow is Timber's appt. with the oncologist. Gonna be my job to evaluate what is best for Timber without regard to our need to keep him with us; all the while, trying to determine if the oncologist is putting Timber's best interest ahead of the size of her bill.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    Smoke,

I hope it goes well, good luck.

Three44s

Banned

let us know what you found out pal and my prayers will go with you.

Boolit Master
    Sent another prayer or two to Saint Francis,the patron saint of animals.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast