Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Timber (My Avatar) Has Cancer

Boolit Master

Timber (My Avatar) Has Cancer

He started limping suddenly. Took him to the vet and x-rays show cancer in the bone on upper Humerus (near shoulder) of left front leg. X-rays, including lung, show no signs of metastasizing to lungs, lymph nodes or anywhere else.
    We had him in for a general checkup about 7 months ago and a blood workup was done. Showed good levels across the board with no signs of any organ problems.

Even though Timber is 11 years old, he appears to be a good candidate for amputation and chemo. We're trying to find a veterinary oncologist now. Fees for what he needs start at about $3500 and go up, way up.

Anybody else have experience with this situation?

Even though we're walking around teary eyed and in shock, we're trying to approach this logically and carefully. Best decisions are made by getting lots of good input. Don't want to make the wrong decision and never be able to forgive myself.

smokeywolf

EDIT: Not asking for donations, just experience, input and maybe some advice.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Smokey, I'm really sorry to hear about Timber. He's a beautiful dog and no doubt a great companion. I want to give you good advice, but it probably won't be what you really want to hear. But what you really want to hear is that a miracle is available and he will be o.k. Somehow I know that if you really think about it, you won't want your friend limping around for several more years on three legs. Looking at average dog longevity, he's already lived an average lifespan. My advice is to continue to enjoy him for a while longer until his condition advances, and then have him put down. It will hurt, and you'll miss him, but you can fill the emptiness with a new puppy. I'll remember you and Timber in my prayers.

Boolit Master

They have pet insurance and credit programs. I had dog get parvo. Cost me 6 grand but they had a payment plan.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

I'm truly sorry to hear this. I would think the movements of walking on three legs would be hard on the joints in them in an already older dog. I may be facing something similar as our girl, a Belgian Malinois is 12. we lost her sister last year. Jewel is in a pronounced decline but still eats well and gets around okay but slowly. Once she starts showing signs of pain we will have to re-evaluate. I try to put my self in her place and ask, would I like to live like that. I hate that they do not live as long as we do. Good luck to you and my best wishes for Timber.

James

Smokey, My thoughts and prayers for you and Timber. I totally agree with Der Gebirgsjager. I went through the exact same thing with my dog many years ago. I did what was best for him, although it broke my heart. My biggest regret was not getting a new puppy sooner then I did.

Boolit Master
    Thanks everybody for input.

I won't allow Timber to suffer once the bad outweighs the good. But, from my studies, even older dogs adjust pretty well to three legs. Timber already does a pretty good impression of a couch potato and about as far as he goes now, is out to the truck or out to the patio to hang with me while I grill veggies and smoke meats. We're inclined to believe that even having to hobble on three legs out to the front or back yard, the good will still outweigh the bad.

We took an all-day trip up to San Louis Obispo yesterday. Back of my truck has a camper shell and Timber has a large bed back there. Rear cab window stays open, so he's with the family (pack) and still has a near 360 degree view while laying on his well padded bed. He enjoyed himself.

I've had to put two cherished companions down over the past 20 years. It's about the hardest thing in the world to do, but I also know that I would never forgive myself if I made them suffer due to my own selfishness.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."

Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear, pets become family members and it is a hard decision. Care Credit does a credit card for medical including many vets if that helps.

Boolit Master

id not worry too much about the 3 legs, just have to make your best guess on his remaining time left due to age vs what the cancer will do. very hard difficult decision.

Boolit Master
    Man that just plain sucks.We had two kitties that cancer got.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Buddy
    We had a Golden (Kodi) that went through the same thing. 8 years old and diagnosed with bone cancer in the front leg. Since the house we lived in had 4 levels our decision was to help him get through it with pain meds and kindness. He slept in our bed or the coach every night and we brought him fancy meals like baked salmon and other treats. About 4 months later he could barely walk so it was time for him to pass on so we took him to the vet.
    The decision rests only on you, your family and your finances. May God help you might the best choice possible.

Boolit Master

So sorry about the Cancer news. I had a pure bred Collie, looked just like Lassie and he got kicked in the L upper leg by a Bull and shattered his upper leg. Vet put his leg in a immobilizing plaster cast and shaped it in a wide U shape. He never had use of that leg again, but he adjusted to the loss and ran with the other dogs until his later years. I really enjoyed having the time with him and he never knew he was a crippled dog. I'll pray for Timber; they truly are a family member.

Boolit Master
    Since the house we lived in had 4 levels our decision was to help him get through it with pain meds and kindness.
    No stairs in this house. Front door, back door, no steps. Handicapped (wheelchair) accessible from when we cared for my mother.

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

Truly sorry to hear this. You have some tough decisions to make and I don't envy you. Been there done that. My Son went through this with a beloved pet. He spent a ton of money to have a leg removed. The dog adjusted well to this but the cancer had spread and all of this only bought about 6 months. Both Him and His Wife said that they would not do it again.

Timber is a beautiful dog and both of you will be in our prayers.

Boolit Master

Smokey, so sorry to hear about Timber. Just had to put our 2 nd Greyhound down due to kidney failure. Our 1 st Grey( avitar) had cancer and we had to put her down. Really hard to say but unless the vet can assure you the results will be good, putting him down before all the pain and suffering starts. Sadly Dogs dont live long enough. Hard to get another now as our last will be impossible to replace, maybe end of the summer.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

been through that same kind of situation many many moons ago.

dog fell from the balcony and ripped of a cross ligament in its right front leg. the result of this accident was that his leg was in its way because he had no control over it anymore.

obviously , his lifeless leg was in its way all the time, dad took the decision for the amputation surgery,and it's been a real success. after that he was able to walk and even run a little with his friends across the street. the surgery has been the right decision . he lived 14 years ,7 on three legs ; he got a joyfull life,and i'm gonna admit that the fact he was a three leger got him a special statue, he was an attraction because people were stunned to see a dog on three legs looking like living a fullfilled life without apparent troubles,like any other dogs .

i'd say that, if you have the ressources for trhe surgery, go ahead and don't worry. dogs or cats can live their life on three legs EASY. while,as the vet said, the dangers and accidents waiting to happen with an animal trailing a lifeless leg are real. he can stumble on it, a ''dead''' leg is much more dangerous for him that having it amputated.

No matter how close we are to another person, few human relationships are as free from strife, disagreement, and frustration as is the relationship you have with a good dog. Few human beings give of themselves to another as a dog gives of itself. I also suspect that we cherish dogs because their unblemished souls make us wish - consciously or unconsciously - that we were as innocent as they are, and make us yearn for a place where innocence is universal and where the meanness, the betrayals, and the cruelties of this world are unknown.
    ― Dean Koontz
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Boolit Master
    Sorry to hear about your canine family member. Prayers sent.

I had to go through a three legged dog decision many years ago. It was not cancer but a dog that was ran over. He was half the age of your dog and a rear leg. He was also a smaller breed as well,a border collie/blue heeled cross.

The bottom line is he did amazingly well.

I would however question the docs about the effects of the cancer treatments. Could it be that ampution without chemo might be an option? Less expense and not the downside of the chemicals.

Or chemo lite?

I have had a number of dogs thus far, we run cattle and they are all friends and companions first and workers second and I miss every one of them and cherish them while we have them. Everyone of these dogs has been a joy and as individual as the last one and the next puppy starts the whole process all over.

Best regards and good luck with your companion

Three44s

I not a dog person been attacked 3 times but the cats I do love. about 6 months ago the people that lived next door there dog got out and attacked one of my cats. well to make a long story short he now has 3 legs. the vet asked me if I wanted to put him down when it happened. I was standing there with tears in my eyes thinking it not my cats fault that he got attacked. and it not faire to him to put him down so I deside on those facts to go threw the surgery. for me that was the best thing I could of done . now as far as that beautiful dog you have I hope and pray that this will help you in making the right decision. D Crockett

In Remembrance

Hard, oh! so terribly hard! But I agree with Der Gebirgsjager.............and you AND Timber will be in my prayers also.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Grand Master
    age makes no difference when your friend is in trouble
    My buddy Jack had a flipped colon at age 4 luckily we caught it
    he had surgery for it facing about a 5% survival rate and thousands of dollars
    we made it through and he is doing fine to this day
    point is never quit on them no matter what you are told
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast