Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Timber (My Avatar) Has Cancer

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    That is just heartbreaking. Prayers of comfort and support for you and your family. It is always such a big emptiness when we lose a furred family member. I do believe you took the right path though and did your best by Timber. I always say that my pet family will go on as long as their quality of life does. Again... my deepest condolences and I know that he will live on in your memories and family photos.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry for your loss.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry to hear this news. Pets can become a part of you.

Boolit Master

Sorry to hear that Timber has pasted. I have lost many pets over the decades and it is never easy. Prayers to all of you and know one day you will find your next pet and give them a loving home just like Timber had.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master

I’m so sorry to hear about Timber, please accept my condolences.

Boolit Master
    When they go, they don't go far. Look around for signs. We were driving home from the vets the day we put our white Shepherd down (bone cancer), and there on the beach was a white Shepherd puppy - same color, same big ears, same curled tail. As bad as we felt, it was good to see that puppy.

Boolit Master
    Condolences to the family.It always hurts.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Pup TRIBUTE

“I will lend to you for awhile, a pup God said,
    For you to love him while he lives
    And mourn him when he`s dead
    Maybe for twelve or fourteen years
    Or maybe two or three.
    But Will you ? till I call him back…
    Take care of him for me.

He`ll bring his charms to gladden you,
    and (should his stay be brief)
    You`ll always have his memories
    As solace for your grief.
    I cannot promise he will stay
    Since all from earth, return.
    But there are lessons taught below
    I want this pup to learn.

I`ve looked the whole world over
    In search of teachers true,
    And from the folk that crowd Life`s land
    I, God have chosen You.

Now will you give him all your Love
    Nor think the labor vain
    Nor hate Me when I come to take
    My Pup back again.

I fancied that I heard them say..
    “Dear Lord, Thy will be done”
    For all the joys this Pup brings,
    The risk of grief we`ll run.

We`ll shelter him with tenderness
    We`ll love him while we may.
    And for the happiness we`ve known,
    Forever, grateful stay.

But should you call him back again
    Much sooner than we`ve planned
    We`ll brave the bitter grief that comes
    And try to understand

If by our love, we`ve managed
    Your wishes to achieve
    In memory of him who we loved,
    to help us while we grieve,

When our faithful bundle does depart
    This world of pain and strife
    We`ll have yet another Pup
    And we`ll Love him all his life”
    Last edited by DCP; 09-14-2018 at 03:35 PM.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Moderator Emeritus

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Banned

I hope hes playing with Elmer until we both get there to be with them again.

Boolit Master

I am truly sorry to hear this. There are many here that have had the same experience as you are going through. We know it's difficult and each shares a little of your pain or they would not post here.

James.

Moderator Emeritus

I am extremely sorry for your loss. Gonna go hug Ruger for a bit and dry my eyes.

So sorry to hear of your loss. Condolences to you and your family...I know its a hard thing to lose a family member. I'm sure he's playing with my Ginger and Daytona in that big doggy meadow in the sky.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Very sorry for your loss, this all sounds way too familiar to our family.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    He started limping suddenly. Took him to the vet and x-rays show cancer in the bone on upper Humerus (near shoulder) of left front leg. X-rays, including lung, show no signs of metastasizing to lungs, lymph nodes or anywhere else.
    We had him in for a general checkup about 7 months ago and a blood workup was done. Showed good levels across the board with no signs of any organ problems.

Even though Timber is 11 years old, he appears to be a good candidate for amputation and chemo. We're trying to find a veterinary oncologist now. Fees for what he needs start at about $3500 and go up, way up.

Anybody else have experience with this situation?

Even though we're walking around teary eyed and in shock, we're trying to approach this logically and carefully. Best decisions are made by getting lots of good input. Don't want to make the wrong decision and never be able to forgive myself.

smokeywolf

EDIT: Not asking for donations, just experience, input and maybe some advice.
    Going through a similar situation with my beagle/lab mix, Dixie. Who is 13, but the youngest 13 ever, she has zero arthritis, and can keep up with my parents hyper year old beagle terrier mix, and her charts correspond to a dog less than half her age. She has made it through heart worms and heart worm treatment
    She got down and lost sensation and control of her hind end. Took her for emergency spinal surgery Thursday, and the prognosis isn't good. She now has sensation, but a high likelihood of recurrence. I'm looking at $3200 for her bills. But regardless of how it turns out, I can live with knowing I have done everything I can to make her better and won't have to wonder "what if".
    Pets truly are family, I believe that God's gave us a great example of his unconditional, limitless love with dogs.
    His only mistake when he made dogs was making their lives so short.

Boolit Buddy
    I am very sorry to hear he has passed. I know the pain you are feeling very well...………………………….Take Care Curdog

Boolit Master
    Had to wait an inordinate amount of time to get it done, but drove to the crematorium, almost an hour away (vet had Timber's remains transferred there), and got Timber cremated.
    He's home again now.

Didn't want one of their cheap Chinese boxes or urns. Brought Timber's bones and ashes home in a mylar bag, which in turn is in a near pristine condition 20MM GI ammo can that I've had and not used for most of 40 years.
    For some reason it seems very appropriate. Mrs. smokeywolf says, maybe at some time in the future I should make a pretty box, but for now, she really likes the ammo can. Says she'll sleep better knowing he's in a very sturdy and secure vessel.

Speaking of sleeping, I'm still trying to get back on a more normal sleeping schedule. During the last 3-1/2 months of Timber's life, Mrs. smokeywolf and I monitored Timber round the clock. She had the day shift and I had the night shift.

Again, thanks to all of you for helping to get us through this. It truly would have been harder without you.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Smokey, I'm really sorry to hear about Timber. He's a beautiful dog and no doubt a great companion. I want to give you good advice, but it probably won't be what you really want to hear. But what you really want to hear is that a miracle is available and he will be o.k. Somehow I know that if you really think about it, you won't want your friend limping around for several more years on three legs. Looking at average dog longevity, he's already lived an average lifespan. My advice is to continue to enjoy him for a while longer until his condition advances, and then have him put down. It will hurt, and you'll miss him, but you can fill the emptiness with a new puppy. I'll remember you and Timber in my prayers.
    Three legs aren't all that bad. My Granddaughter has a terrier named Jack that got hit by a car several years ago. Amputated the (front) leg, and he is still getting along fine.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master
    So very sorry to learn of Timber's passing.
    I'm sure Timber was just as sad to leave.
    Cycle of life is hard for those left behind.
    I'm a cat guy.
    But like dogs, and most any other animals too.
    Friends say I like animals more than people.
    Might be true.
    No animal has ever hurt me, if I didn't deserve it.
    Animals and I seem to understand each other.
    I've lost three cats in my life.
    Miss all three everyday.
    Talk to them when I'm driving alone.
    Pain of losing a friend never goes away.
    You just learn to live with it.
    I also have the ashes of my three friends.
    Have it in my will that all of us will be scattered, together, when my time comes.
    Brings a little bit of comfort to me.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345