Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: The uncivilized 03A3

The uncivilized 03A3

So there I was Easter morning, doing not much of anything waiting on church to begin.....had an our to kill......off to surf armslist.....that&apos;s when I spotted this ugly, sporterized Smith Corona 03A3......<br>
    <br>
    After a couple of emails.....yes the rear sight dove tail is still on it, no holes drilled in the receiver, original barrel......a deal was to be struck<br>
    <br>
    Kid said &quot;it won&apos;t group&quot;.....lowered the price by $100.........then gave me 100 rounds of 30-06 ammo.....bonus...........<br>
    <br>
    I get home with it.....yeppers,loose scope......<br>
    <br>
    So what I got.....a 1943 Smith Corona 03A3,&nbsp; 4 grove barrel....muzzle gauges not quite 1,throat gauges right at one,bore is dark, but crisp and clean........some one did work on the bolt......bummer, but I will live with it.........just need some restoration parts.....there out there....<br>
    <br>
    I hit the CMP forum....post a feeler add, put the rifle away....this will take a while....make it my winter project ........<br>
    <br>
    A guy from Bluffton, plus me.....sais he has all I need......and will be in town today.......omg.....<br>
    <br>
    We meet up......Smith Corona stock (you can tell that by the pins in, and not having bolts,all the stock metal, but a rear swing swivel, the only price of metal I have,an &quot;A&quot; heith front sight blade, with pins and base, rear sight assy,cloth but plate, NOS Smith Corona butt plate........<br>
    <br>
    Even with the parts, I have less then a CMP drill rifle......<br>
    <br>
    A dream come true......<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Well what ya think?<br>
    <br>
    Anyone else wanna share there 03A3 rifles?<br>
    <br>
    Aaron

What I think is that you got a good deal on a great rifle! One of the few that parts are still readily available for. Looks like you got everything you need to restore it to "as-issued" if that is your desire. Congratulations.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Please excuse my ignorance but, what is <br>?
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Boolit Master

Programming code for Line Break. Somehow his post is picking up legacy programming script and it is appearing in the text of his post.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    I just did the same type of restoration to a 1903 Springfield that might have been a cigarette rifle / vet bring back from Germany. The original stock had been sporterized with german style checkering and a very well fitted pistol grip & grip cap. I got it from the lgs for 370 out the door. Then spent another 400 for the correct a1 stock,bands and other small parts to make it correct. I figured it was worth it cause it had a perfect barreled action to work with,a barrel that was gauging as new 0, and the parkerizing was like new. Yes it took a little bit of work but it was a fun project that shoots great and best of all it cost about half of what an 03 in that condition goes for around here.

Boolit Master

Good you rescued the 03 A3. All the bubbaed ones seen around here have been drilled and tapped. Looks great!
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

About 10 years ago, I picked up a sporterized SC 03A3, but the barrel had been cut. I happened to have a new in grease SC barrel, some 03 bottom metal and a Lyman 48 long slide rear sight. Thus began my project to build a NRA Sporter clone.

It worked out well and it a good shooting rifle, that will produce 1.25 MOA groups on demand either case or jacketed bullets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NRA Sporter (640x263).jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Char-Gar that rifle is absolutely beautiful, very well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    Char-Gar that rifle is absolutely beautiful, very well done!
    Here it is on the bench on it's maiden trip to the range.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NRA 2 smaller (2).jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Programming code for Line Break. Somehow his post is picking up legacy programming script and it is appearing in the text of his post.

WHEW!! Glad that was explained. Was afraid that my vision was finally gone or this was another language.Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    WHEW!! Glad that was explained. Was afraid that my vision was finally gone or this was another language.Robert
    No kidding; I was acronyming out loud in confusion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I do love an 03A3.

A man I hardly knew let me shoot his NRA Sporter (star gauged). And his Winchester 52, but that's another story. Man could that thing shoot. This old guy put two round touching and then an inch away two more touching, with iron sights. !

I couldn't stop grinning for hours.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)