WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Midway usa's shocking indifference to customer

Boolit Master

I sent a copy of this to Midway to see if they can explain their position on it

will report back if/when I hear something
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    Pits or chamber scratch is most likely the cause.

Its all Bolton metal under a brand name and pretty much the same.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

This thread is weird to me.

I don't expect MSC or Allied to tell me how to use every machine tool or electronics product they sell. I expect a valid data sheet, accurate product description, quick shipping and correct packaging. Pretty much the same with Midway.

Frankly if you didn't know you could just boil it out or use a heat gun, you really should do your research first or stay away from guns. Jumping in with both feet and then complaining about the VENDOR for your GUNSMITHING ***** is barking up the wrong tree. Try looking in the mirror for the correct complaint department.

Thread title should be "Midway customer's shocking blame-game ploy"
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    I sent a copy of this to Midway to see if they can explain their position on it

will report back if/when I hear something
    For your reading pleasure.

RE: Problem with chamber casting alloy. (CID:hlg4plt0msr43x9ygf)
    MidwayUSA Customer Service <customerservice@midwayusa.com>
    Today, 12:43 PMYou

Dear Barry,

Thank you very much for your email. Due to the volume of email that he receives, Larry can't respond to each one personally and has asked that I respond on his behalf.

We appreciate your feedback. I apologize for the frustration that this process has caused but unfortunately at this time other than taking it to a gunsmith we do not have a solution other than the ones that was provided to you. I apologize for the inconvenience.

On Behalf of Larry,

Thanks for Your Business,

Troy

MidwayUSA Customer Service

Next.............................................. ..........

Regarding Your Order
    Today, 10:20 AMYou

Dear Barry,

Thank you for the email concerning your recent attempt to cast your chamber. I am very sorry for the frustration this has caused, however after speaking with the product department I was not able to receive a definitive answer. The one suggestion I did receive from them was to attempt to loosen the alloy with boiling water. Please feel free to give us a call at the number below if you need further assistance.

If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-243-3220. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. CST. You may also email us at customerservice@midwayusa.com.

Thanks for Your Business!

Chris

MidwayUSA Customer Service

Next.............................................. ..

RE: Chamber casting problems (CID:bcrn1lp4lpkk6qz1gj)
    Today, 12:49 PMYou

Dear Barry,

Thank you very much for your email. Due to the volume of email that he receives, Larry can't respond to each one personally and has asked that I respond on his behalf.

On Behalf of Larry,

I am very sorry to see what has happened. It looks as though the cast was allowed to sit for too long. There is a "sweet spot" when casting a chamber. You have to pull out the aluminum before it hardens completely, right after it begins to solidify.

There are a few ways to soften aluminum- boiling water will do the trick, pouring it down the barrel then gently use a cleaning rod to push the aluminum out. Due to the rarity of these rifles though, I would recommend they be taken to a certified gunsmith for further work though.

Thanks for Your Business,

Nick

From their perspective they are spot on. Their could be a myriad of reasons for this not to work from user didn't follow instructions to something like a ringed chamber or anything in between. If they instruct you on what to do they would then own the issue and the results. By telling you to take it to a smith they absolve themselves of liability for what you do.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post

I don't expect MSC or Allied to tell me how to use every machine tool or electronics product they sell. I expect a valid data sheet, accurate product description, quick shipping and correct packaging. Pretty much the same with Midway.

Frankly if you didn't know you could just boil it out or use a heat gun, you really should do your research first or stay away from guns. Jumping in with both feet and then complaining about the VENDOR for your GUNSMITHING ***** is barking up the wrong tree. Try looking in the mirror for the correct complaint department.

I guess you missed the point........... If they are going to sell the product, it would be nice if they were forthcoming with a staff that can come up with a solution without the runaround, and the initial attitude of take it to the gunsmith., but thanks for your help on it. Not. I watched the video Larry did on chamber casting and followed the same procedure, their product came in a clear plastic bag, with a label on it that said simply and only, chamber casting alloy, 1/2 lb. No instructions in bag, no brand name on product bag. Only sku# and a note to use lots of ventilation. Ya, your on target, nice to have all those little documentation data sheets, the do's and dont's, but it is a pretty straight forward process. I doubt very much that I'm that stupid.

But like I said, I have gone through the first rifle and got it cleared, tomorrow I will finish the second one. Case closed. I could care less what Noway USA does in dealing with its customers, I will not be one that is impacted by their policies or their lackluster and underpowering technical staff.
    Last edited by MOA; 04-05-2018 at 10:42 PM.

Boolit Master

I didn't miss the point. Larry didn't either. He gave you the only liability safe advice he could, for the circumstances, for the benefit of his company, given they are selling gunsmithing supplies to the public.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master

THIS X2

I thought he said that the "guns are now useless!".
    Really?

Hello All,

I have never done a chamber cast, fears of what happened to MOA.
    I have a 32-20 which the chamber is so rough,
    I'm sure the same thing would happen.

AntiqueSledMan

Quote Originally Posted by AntiqueSledMan View Post
    Hello All,

I have never done a chamber cast, fears of what happened to MOA.
    I have a 32-20 which the chamber is so rough,
    I'm sure the same thing would happen.

AntiqueSledMan

Right on AntiqueSledMan,
    I'm sure that is most likely the problem, these were all shooting black. Most likely the throat and rifling and leade are eroded and that was giving a better grip on the alloy than it would have had if it had been smoother. Live and learn. Would have been nice to have had some instruction sheet with the product, would even be nicer to have a product sheet that mentions the fact that chamber casting an old black powder guns could, might, possibly, most, likely, would have a rough throat and leade and a different method and material used would be less problematic in trying to cast this area.

Quote Originally Posted by bkbville View Post
    Pits or chamber scratch is most likely the cause.
    I have to agree with you bknville, most likely cause, badly eroded leade, throat from black powder.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used cerrosafe many times, some with oil some without. Never used a torch, just a heat gun. try heating the chamber area and it should pop out. The operators at Midway are not gunsmiths, not a reason to put on blast and taking a damaged gun to a smith would be the correct thing to say, if they told you how to do it and you damage the gun, you would blast them for that. Take your time and you'll get a good casting of the chamber

Quote Originally Posted by edp2k View Post
    THIS X2

I thought he said that the "guns are now useless!".
    Really?
    Just what do you call a firearm with chamber casting alloy stuck in the chamber????? Operable????
    They were useless until they get cleaned out. Ya know, everybody is so quick to do a vid about how to do this and how to do that, well sometimes when problems occur it would be nice to have had a vid out there about what to do when things don't go as expected. Did you ever see a vid on what to do when a chamber casting does not come out after 10 to 15 minutes.

But I'm sure many of the forum readers have never had any kind of ***** problem and just can't see how anyone could if they only had a brain.

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    I guess you missed the point........... If they are going to sell the product, it would be nice if they were forthcoming with a staff that can come up with a solution without the runaround, and the initial attitude of take it to the gunsmith., but thanks for your help on it. Not. I watched the video Larry did on chamber casting and followed the same procedure, their product came in a clear plastic bag, with a label on it that said simply and only, chamber casting alloy, 1/2 lb. No instructions in bag, no brand name on product bag. Only sku# and a note to use lots of ventilation. Ya, your on target, nice to have all those little documentation data sheets, the do's and dont's, but it is a pretty straight forward process. I doubt very much that I'm that stupid.

But like I said, I have gone through the first rifle and got it cleared, tomorrow I will finish the second one. Case closed. I could care less what Noway USA does in dealing with its customers, I will not be one that is impacted by their policies or their lackluster and underpowering technical staff.
    Wouldn't it be easier to just admit that 'you made all the mistakes?' ... That 'you didn't anticipate this outcome & are disappointed that someone didn't rush to your rescue?' People did rush to your rescue...look at all the answers to the post.

It is past 'high time' for Americans to start owning their mistakes again, stop the 'blame game' ... the bottom line here, 'you learned something the difficult way this time, next time...if there is one, you'll prolly ask before you do.

MidwayUSA has been exemplary to deal with, I see no reason here for you to try to smear their image.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I cannot count the amount of projects that I have screwed up over the years.
    I have learned a wealth of knowledge in the process.
    The key to success is to do the research first and then do a test run.
    There are some things that are more of an art than following a simple set of instructions and requires time, patience, and practice to become proficient at.
    If I burn my steak I don't blame the butcher.

Boolit Grand Master

Been there, done that, had the same frustration. Mine was the rifle side of a Cape Gun, unknown caliber. I've told the story here a couple of times, but not the chamber cast. Got CerroSafe from BECO, complete with instructions and the shrink rate sheet. This was an old rimmed cartridge, so I tried to cast the rim as well - Yeah, the extractor cut was the culprit. Got my low temp torch and carefully melted it out after some language I don't like to admit I use. But then, I had read the instructions, done some research on the internet, and knew it's melting point. Didn't take much thinking to see I could melt it out without damaging the chamber. I eventually, after the third attempt, and some gum blocking the extractor cut, got a chamber cast I could use, including the rim.

This is the 10.5x47R chamber that Dave Davidson (CH4D) said was different that his other 23 10.5x47R chambers!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post

It's unfortunate that so many companies sell tools to people who shouldn't be allowed to own or use them. You owe Midway an apology. No one missed the point you're trying to make...there isn't one. Don't start projects when you don't know what you're doing. Same with any type of "do it yourself" project. You started it and you expect them to bail you out. It just doesn't work that way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12