Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Winter reloading results

Boolit Buddy

Winter reloading results

I'm sure I'm not the only one that was reloading all winter long getting ready for this spring and summer. Considering how many hours I spent working on casting and reloading it doesnt sound like I got as many rounds as I thought. I figured i would have more but I'm still happy with what I accomplished. Went through about 300lbs of lead but I do have a lot of extra projectiles cast PCed, sized and ready to go. I know I only have few calibers compared to most guys here so i cant imagine amount of time other put in. I know a lot of members here are retired and have plenty of time but I'm not there yet. I'm just curious how did everyone else do?

9mm - 1200
    38/357 - 1000+
    45acp - 1000+
    .223 - 1500+
    300AAC - 2500+

Boolit Master
    Probably 3000 or so, spread over 9-10 calibers. Some more than others. Plenty of boolits & bullets still waiting but I ran out of places to store due to limited storage area, & had to go to using larger bulk containers, since I used up all the caliber specific boxes, so I slowed down a bit in the last month or so. Been waiting for some warmer weather to shoot, so until I start shooting I don't really need to start up again. I also deal with more arthritis issues in the cold months & that sometimes limits my activities to a degree.

I also have about 5-6 ladder tests to run for some powders & until I shoot & find out what the best loads are, I see no reason to make up more rounds for those loads.

I am chomping at the bit though to get out & shoot more though. The low last night was 6 deg. F on the weather station out on the prairie & I live down by 2 rivers & in between hills & bluffs lower down where it is usually 5-10 deg. F below that. The high today is a balmy 35F when normal ave. temps are supposed to be 50F in April during the day. The rest of the week until next is supposed to be cold with highs in the upper 20s to lower 30s, so Spring has not sprung enough yet to be comfortable shooting outside, where I do my shooting.

Interesting subject & I am looking forward to others posting! If nothing else, just to see how much of a slacker I am, or not...LOL
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

It sounds like you had a productive winter! I spent most of the winter after hunting season closed sizing, sorting and polishing brass. I also spent 6 weekends smelting lead. I've started casting for next winters loading sessions. I think I have enough ammo to make it to next winter. I do save a few things to do in the summer after it gets too hot do do anything fun.

Boolit Grand Master
    Not fair to compare...I use progressives if I need to load more than a couple of hundred at a time.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I loaded about 3000 9mm this winter but shot them all! I just finished loading up 2000 9mm. Have 3000 left to go for summer shooting. Waiting on some 380 brass to come in so I can load up 1000 for the one odd caliber handgun in the collection. This summer I am gonna start reloading 270 Win. Collecting the resources and tools til then.

I don't have any way of knowing how many rounds I loaded over the winter. I know I slowed down some this winter since I don't need to get loaded ahead as much as I used to.
    I have been shooting between 200-500 rounds a week with the average being about 300.
    I usually take the empties home and process the brass and cast as I have time. I will spend a couple of hours once or twice a week just assembling loads.
    It works out nicely for me. I have enough loaded ahead that I could shoot for quite some time before I ran out of ammunition.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    I loaded about 3000 9mm this winter but shot them all! I just finished loading up 2000 9mm. Have 3000 left to go for summer shooting. Waiting on some 380 brass to come in so I can load up 1000 for the one odd caliber handgun in the collection. This summer I am gonna start reloading 270 Win. Collecting the resources and tools til then.
    I would have liked to shoot my nine more this winter but I dislike picking brass out of the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I don't have any way of knowing how many rounds I loaded over the winter. I know I slowed down some this winter since I don't need to get loaded ahead as much as I used to.
    I have been shooting between 200-500 rounds a week with the average being about 300.
    I usually take the empties home and process the brass and cast as I have time. I will spend a couple of hours once or twice a week just assembling loads.
    It works out nicely for me. I have enough loaded ahead that I could shoot for quite some time before I ran out of ammunition.

This is pretty much what I do too. Although I do cast a few hundred extra ahead of time its more convenient to powder coat that way. That few hours a week is my me time.
    Don't tread on anyone.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    I would have liked to shoot my nine more this winter but I dislike picking brass out of the snow.
    Throw down a 9x12 tarp( I prefer canvas) to your right side & behind a bit, angled from 2-3 o'clock to 7-8 o'clock on the ground & stand near the edge. Should catch most of them. You can always hang it up off to that side leaving 1/3 the tarp on the ground/snow & the other basically straight up ( tied between two trees or something, much like a clothes line) and do the same thing. Then when you are done. Pick up the tarp so the cases all gather to one end & put them in a container to take home. Shake the tarp, fold & you are done.
    Should catch most of them that way.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I loaded lots, but the bigger deal for me was load development. Did a 35 rem load, four in 3006, one in 44 mag, one in 357 and 5 in 38. These are a big deal to me since they are the templates for future loading.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm in the same camp as Brewer12345. Working on loads for a like new UF55 #4 mk2. Same boolets are shooting wonderful in a 30-06 Baikal double rifle and a sported 03. Fine tuneing a 460 S&W carbine (Bighorn Armory 90). Will kill deer this fall with cast. Just started casting and powder coating about a year ago. FUN!

Boolit Master

I cast and loaded 3000 .45 ACP and cast 700 .38 Spec. And loaded 1200 .38 Spec.
    I cast and loadEd 400 9mm along with smaller amounts of 45-70, 44 mag. And 223 Rem.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Salvation army bed sheets and some rocks or shoot on a windless day.

You can try visqueen but you probably won't like it.

Boolit Master
    Having plenty of time when you're retired is a myth.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by upnorthwis View Post
    Having plenty of time when you're retired is a myth.
    That's for darn sure!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Didn't get much loading done, built up my supplies of .380 and 45acp a bit but spent most of my spare time in hunting camp or other road trips. I need to work up a few hunting loads before it gets too hot to shoot sporting rifles. I figure I have a week, maybe two.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Loaded 40+ boxes 12 ga. Skeet and sporting clays loads, 25+ boxes 20 ga. Skeet loads, 200+ 318 Westley Richards, 100 450 Nitro Express, 100 450/400 N.E., 60 400/350 N.E., 600 45 Colt, 800 45 ACP, 80 470 N.E.,
    200 303 British, Hand full of 45-70, 75 350 Rigby, 100+ 9.3x74R, 100 8x50R, 200+ 375 H&H, 80 416 Rigby, 250+ 38 special and another 15+ calibers I'd have to dig out the load book to jog the memory.

Might make it to August before I have to load again.

Need more brass want to be able to shoot/ride/sail all summer with out spending time at the reloading bench.

Don't make hay anymore, but certainly like to play when the sun is shining.��