Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about loading 45 Colt

Boolit Master

Questions about loading 45 Colt

Not a CB question but I figure someone might share their experience....
    An older brother in another state shoots a Ruger (early Vaquero) 45 Colt. His birthday is coming up so:
    I have accumulated 200 pieces of 45 Colt brass & a set of Lee dies. Since he isn't rolling in dough I thought some reloaded plinking / target ammo would make a fitting gift. Nothing high powered, I've heard Vaquero's are not up to max loads.
    I have 230 gr. RN Xtreme (.452") plated bullets, (could also go with 255 gr. Xtreme (.451") plated FP's) & plenty of primers.
    I've seen loads listed for Unique, Tite Group, IMR 4227, and Herco (my Herco is older Hercules brand but good). I have these powders I can use. Don't want to invest in a different / more appropriate powder for what may become a once a year loading session.
    My questions are:
    1). Anyone have experience with loading these powders / projectiles in a 45 Colt?
    2). And, given the huge capacity of 45 Colt brass, would it make sense to put an over-the-powder wad in the case before seating projectile to keep the powder closer to the primer? If a wad is desirable, is there a household product like cotton ball, cardboard, or the like that will work for a wad?
    I'm not exactly rolling in dough either so I'm approaching this as a low budget project.
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    I have been loading the 45 Colt for a good number of years, but have not tried Tite Group or Herco.
    IMO IMR4227 is best suitable for +P loads in the 45 Colt in the firearms rated for such.
    Unique works just fine under both of the bullet weights that you have listed.
    I have never used any kind of over powder card in the 45 Colt so I cannot advocate their use. Just point the revolver straight up as it is cocked, lower to a horizontal position, aim and fire. This will tend to keep the powder next to the flash hole.

Boolit Master

The time honored "Lyman Accuracy Load" for the 45 Colt is 8 grains Unique under a standard weight bullet, which would include yours. No filler or wad needed. This was my standard Colt single action load for years and would be entirely appropriate for the Ruger Vaquero, even the smaller new one. The older larger Vaqueros are good for loads that could damage a Colt.

Boolit Master

The early Vaquero's are indeed as strong as the NMBH but for standard pressure or a little above I'd use either the 6-8gr Unique under a standard weight boolit, or 2400 can do standard to +P and anywhere in between.

I wouldn't use the 4227 for standard loads.

Unique is about perfect IMO for what you're wanting. Anything between 7 and 8 grains would be an ideal target load with a 230 grain bullet.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Boolit Master

Thanks for all the advice. I just confirmed he purchased the Vaquero in the early 90's.
    So time to dig out a spare T-Mag turret & set up some dies. Glad to find a home for that jug of Unique.

Boolit Man
    I shoot 8.5gr of Unique behind a 255gr lead RN with very good accuracy. The precison is not so good, but that’s not the fault of the load, that’s operator error!

Boolit Master
    Unique, and the 255s is what you want to use. Go with a mid-range load for plinking and should be fairly accurate, though I can tell you most Ruger's prefer 250-300 grain cast for accuracy. I wouldn't use the 230s, but you can if you need to. Forget about the case volume on the 45 colt, and using wads. People who worry wort it are usually overthinking it, besides which Unique as well as other smokeless powders like their space in rimmed straight walls. Black powder is where you want no extra space in a straight wall cartridge. That vaquero is plenty strong, and should handle anything in the factory to slightly warm range without a hiccup. That being said I always lean towards safety. I always follow max load recommendations from powder companies, and I have almost universally found that in 45 long colt most guns are more accurate in the mid range loads.

Now as to size. .451 and even .452 are actually a little undersized for vaquero and blackhawk bores in older guns. Dads blackhawk 4 5/8", and my blackhawk 5.5" always liked .454-.455 better in cast. BUT you are talking about minute amounts of accuracy at long ranges, it should not be a safety issue when talking about being slightly undersized. I know, I know "modern" 45 long colts lean towards the .450-.452 range, and that's all fine and good. Besides I can certainly respect that you are doing this to give him a nice gift and don't want to invest when you have fitting components.

I think what you are doing is great, and his gun should have absolutely no issues with Unique and either bullet (again I think the 255s will be more accurate) in moderate loads. No filler or wading needed. As always follow powder companies safety guidelines, and good luck. I hope he enjoys the gift! I know I would in his situation!

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

In Remembrance

I can`t begin to guess how many years that I`ve loaded 6.5 gr. of Red Dot with the standard weight 250 gr. +/- using a std WW primer in about any case I have. A fun load to shoot that was supposed to about equal the original factory load for FPS, about 850 - 900. Robert

I'm pretty much in agreement with everything said. I've always used 8.0 - 8.5 gr. of Unique and a cast 250 - 255 gr. round nose flat point or semi-wadcutter. Good results in everything in which tried.

Boolit Man
    I forgot to add that I use .454" bullets and have reamed my cylinder throats to .4525" which improved the accuracy of the gun beyond my skills. My son shoots the gun better than I do. Dang kids!

Boolit Master

Another vote here for Unique. I also shoot a Vaquero (and an Uberti 1860 Henry) and either the Lee 452-255 or Lyman 454190 over 8.0gr of Unique has been my load for years. Fine accuracy with both boolits in the pistol but my Henry particularly loves the Lee.
    Semper Fi

OP mentioned plinking loads, if your on here you probably cast your own. Look at Lee's 160 grain 45 mold. Light charge of unique, 5.5 I think, makes an awesome low recoil load. Shot 1000's of these when I was shooting cowboy. And 90+ grains less lead every trigger pull. 160 grains has killed every paper/tin can/dinger target I have shot.

Think green! Reduce lead pollution ��

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    160 grains has killed every paper/tin can/dinger target I have shot.

Think green! Reduce lead pollution ��
    Yeah, but were they DRT or did you have to track them?

I was thinking a lighter cast boolit as well. Saves in lead and recoil.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Boolit Master

I load the Lee 200rf and Lee 230 tc both over red dot or unique to keep a friend's 45 colt fed. 4.6 of red dot under the 200 makes an accurate load that feels like a target 45 acp load that his wife loves shooting. 8 grains of unique under either bullet shoot well with a more manly feel.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Hard to beat Unique and a 255 grain bullet in .45 Colt, no fillers needed. Nice present for your brother.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Not a CB question but I figure someone might share their experience....
    An older brother in another state shoots a Ruger (early Vaquero) 45 Colt. His birthday is coming up so:
    I have accumulated 200 pieces of 45 Colt brass & a set of Lee dies. Since he isn't rolling in dough I thought some reloaded plinking / target ammo would make a fitting gift. Nothing high powered, I've heard Vaquero's are not up to max loads.
    I have 230 gr. RN Xtreme (.452") plated bullets, (could also go with 255 gr. Xtreme (.451") plated FP's) & plenty of primers.
    I've seen loads listed for Unique, Tite Group, IMR 4227, and Herco (my Herco is older Hercules brand but good). I have these powders I can use. Don't want to invest in a different / more appropriate powder for what may become a once a year loading session.
    My questions are:
    1). Anyone have experience with loading these powders / projectiles in a 45 Colt?
    2). And, given the huge capacity of 45 Colt brass, would it make sense to put an over-the-powder wad in the case before seating projectile to keep the powder closer to the primer? If a wad is desirable, is there a household product like cotton ball, cardboard, or the like that will work for a wad?
    I'm not exactly rolling in dough either so I'm approaching this as a low budget project.
    Thanks
    Others have giving you information about powder and charge weight. I want to address your 2nd. point. You mentioned "wad" and "cardboard" and the use of a wad is a giant NO-NO. When fired the wad will act like a pistol compressing the air space above and cause damage to your firearm. This is one of the primary ways cylinders and barrels get bulged.

Sometimes, a filler is used, but it occupies 100% of the air space so there is no piston effect. Fillers are not needed or helpful in loading the 45 Colt round.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansas Paul View Post
    Yeah, but were they DRT or did you have to track them?

I was thinking a lighter cast boolit as well. Saves in lead and recoil.
    Some of the tin cans needed tracking....

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Some of the tin cans needed tracking....
    Just ain`t nothin` worse than leaving a wounded tin can!Robert

Boolit Mold
    I have used TiteGroup and Universal in my .454 with a 255 grain SWC from Missouri Bullet Co. without any filler. Both had nodes where I got around 1-1.25” grouts at 25yds rested off my knees. You shouldn’t have any trouble finding load data for them in the Colt. Check Hodgdon’s website, I’m pretty sure that’s where I found my loads. I have recipes written down that I have yet to test with Unique, and should be easy to find fo the Colt as well. At least with the 255 grain bullets, not sure about the 230 grainers though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast