Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A question for you 10 mm users.

Boolit Master
    I have one of the Remington's LS 1911 R1 it's a fine shooting gun and I have had zero issues other than it does not clean itself.

Boolit Master
    Some day I would like to ditch my g29 and get a 10mm in a 1911 platform. For now it works and I fun money in other places.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    I had a SIG 220 in 10mm a couple months ago although it was a 5" . I since sold it .
    My gunsmith buddy recently got a Kimber 1911 in 10mm with a 6" barrel that I like quite a bit .
    I also just yesterday bought a Kimber 1911 5" in 45 ACP . Depending on how my Kimber affliction goes I may very well have a Kimber 1911 10mm 6" in the next week .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Groo here
    If you can handle Underwood/Doubletap,Buffelobore 45+p loadings from a 5 in or 4in 1911 you will have no problem with a full up 10mm in a 6in.
    I have many 10 's , DW Cbob,ported 5in,6in Glock and had a 7in AMT.[want to build an officers sized one]
    If you shoot them combat style they will beat you some but if you shoot them target style[ let them run a little not fight them] all is well.
    The 10mm has better penetration than a 45 also higher speed for bullet weight.
    Most are easier to hit with at longer ranges.
    To make them easier to shoot, go to lighter bullets.[150 to 155 gr]
    They are very easy on the hand but flat shooting at range.
    Last edited by Groo; 04-17-2018 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    My 10mm has more pop then my 45s. I also feel the 10mm more in the back of my hand. I have some loads that mimic the 40 short and wimpy. I shoot 250-350 45s whenever I take one out. I only shoot 100 10mm and my hand feels the same. To be honest some times I do not make it past 50.
    me too; my HOT 10mm loads in my 1911 are noticeably snappier than any .45 I've shot in 1911s. Longslide may mitigate the felt recoil some...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    I had a SIG 220 in 10mm a couple months ago although it was a 5" . I since sold it .
    My gunsmith buddy recently got a Kimber 1911 in 10mm with a 6" barrel that I like quite a bit .
    I also just yesterday bought a Kimber 1911 5" in 45 ACP . Depending on how my Kimber affliction goes I may very well have a Kimber 1911 10mm 6" in the next week .
    May I ask why you did not like the Sig 10mm?

Banned

10s bark louder and that's what bothers most. As to the recoil. Yes its a bit more but anyone that can shoot a 45acp can shoot 10s in the same size gun without crying.

Banned

"The 10mm is capable of launching a bullet that is heavier than most .357 mag bullets at speeds that approach or meet .357 mag velocities; so there is an energy advantage to be had."

Wrong. Every 10mm thread has this nonsense. The .357 mag is more gun. More energy, better sectional density. I hope to own a 10mm someday, but I will do so not in ignorance. I will know the .357 mag is more gun, for a fact. I will keep it real.

Banned

I don't really agree. It comes down to the purpose. if its self defense or hunting with jhps the 357 might edge out the 10mm but with cast bullets I give the edge to the 10. Velocity and ftlbs of energy don't mean a lot in the hunting field with cast bullets. The 10 will push a 200 grain bullet to 1200 fps or close to it. A bullet that is bigger in diameter. Most 357s ive owned wont stabilize a bullet heavier then 180. Even comparing 180s is both the 357 might add a bit of velocity but for the most part a 401 lfn or wfn has a bigger metplat then a 357 wfn or lfn. Just about any real world hunting with a cast bullet favors the heavier bullet with a big metplat. Sectional density is a viable argument if your wanting to go elk hunting with your little 357 but how many knowledgeable hand gunners do that. Real world use is for deer, pigs and maybe a black bear and none of those are all that tough to get penetration on. In the real world of cast bullet hunting your not gaining much if anything pushing bullets faster then 1200 fps. In some cases like if not using very hard alloys it can be detrimental because if you've ever done any penetration testing youd know that any bullet that deforms loose penetration fast and in many cases does not penetrate straight. Ive seen cast bullets with just small deformity's of the nose dive right out of a penetration box. So heres my take on it. Maybe the guys that think the 10 is superior to the 357 are wrong but so are the ones that try to claim the same about the 357. Ive killed deer and pigs with both. I haven't killed a black bear with either because bear permits come about once every 3 years up here and if I get one at least a 44 is going with me. But if I was backed up against the wall and had to choose id take a 10mm shooting a 200 grain lfn as fast as I could push it over any 357 load. For the simple reason that its going to poke a bigger hole in that bear. Bigger caliber is where its at for cast bullet hunting. Its why I argue with some who try to claim the 41 will do anything a 44 will do. Or a 45 colt with ruger level loads wont do a better job then a 44. I personaly could care less what the math numbers say. Ive handgun hunted long enough and have killed enough game both small and very large to know that a big hole shot straight through an animal with enough penetration to exit and give two holes to leak out is what kills best. Velocity and expansion and ft lbs of energy are good arguments for a self defense load but you don't kill with a calculator. take both out and kill 20 deer (at least 10 anyway) with each and then come back with a real world opinion. Bottom line is neither are ideal hunting guns. there marginal guns that only a real good shot should use and someone that is willing to pass until conditions are ideal. To me its kind of like arguing which is the better deer round a 222 or 223.

Boolit Master
    Glad you posted Lloyd. Many think that Muzzle Energy is all that makes any difference.
    Dont forget about the Bufflao Bore and Underwood 220 gr. Cast bullets too.
    Most want to compare a revolver to a semi auto. The Glock 20 has a 4.6 inch barrel. With a 357 mag in a S&W 686 you aould only mat that with a 2.9 inch barrel. That barrel length with the cylinder would be roughly 4.6 inches. That would level the playing field too. Then compare the 357 Mag death ray to the lowly 10MM.

Boolit Master
    I guess I will jump in.

(skip to second part if you do not want back story) I used to carry a 45acp in the woods. After I started having back issues I found myself in a pickle one day. While crawling around on the ground cutting firewood I sensed something behind me. I shut off my saw then turned around. A bear cub was standing not 15 feed from me just looking at me wondering what I was. Momma was not far behind and not acting happy. I reached for my G30 and about that time the cub started to walk off. It was at this point I started to rethink my woods carry.

(start here for point) I did some personal test of JHP and cast in 45 acp and 357 mag along with 10mm. The 357 mag and 10mm where neck and neck with hard cast. JHP's expanded to soon for me. Yes the 357 edged out the 10mm but when it came down to 10 rounds over 6 I was sold. I was looking at a different point to my test. I needed to penetration. The 45 was just out from the start. I parted with the G30 and found a G29 for under 200 dollars. It is scratched and some times comes home with more dirt in it then my boots but has always fired. This is my thoughts YMMV. I needed to be able to get deep into the body of a large bear. Or hit a few dogs if need be.

Lloyd you and I are on the same page.

To be honest the test I did was not fair. I used a 3.5" barrel on the 10mm and a 6" barrel on the 357. Had I used a shorter barrel on the 357 it would of lost (in my test). Yes it was that close.
    Last edited by Outer Rondacker; 04-13-2018 at 08:06 AM.

Boolit Master
    "To be honest the test I did was not fair. I used a 3.5" barrel on the 10mm and a 6" barrel on the 357. Had I used a shorter barrel on the 357 it would of lost (in my test). Yes it was that close."

Level playing field.
    How did the premium loads in both do such as Underwood 220 cast in the 10MM and Underwood 357 Mag do?
    What brands ammo did you use in the 10MM? In the 357 Mag?

Boolit Master
    Well this was my test. For those of you who do not know me I only ever owned two boxes of factory ammo other then 22lr. One is a box of 9mm crimson something. The other is a box of 9mm streak ammo I just got. Everything else is reloads. Everything.

357 was a 180g bullet. The 10mm is a 180g. I used what I had access to. Like I said this is my test. I would of rather had a heavier bullet for the 10mm but I did not have any. This is what I narrowed it down to. JHP's did not make the final testing.

The test was done in a few different ways. One was into wet stacked cardboard from 15yrds. Another was into gallon jugs of water in a row. Ground clay packed into a box. (its free) Lastly wet saw dust in a very large box makes for a good test.

I test was only for me since I do not believe in the numbers being the end all result. Sorry this test was not valid to most. I used what I had and loads where worked up to what I felt where max. Please remember I was using a plastic gun vs a wheel gun.

Boolit Master
    "I used what I had and loads where worked up to what I felt where max. Please remember I was using a plastic gun vs a wheel gun."

A plastic gun is okay. I have plastic too. 200 grain XTP's from a M20 Glock at 1250 is a little bit of power according to some. It may do some damage. I doubt it though.

Boolit Master
    Not my test but here is a video with BB bullets. https://youtu.be/vKvxI1AyePM

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Not my test but here is a video with BB bullets. https://youtu.be/vKvxI1AyePM
    How would the revolver do with a 3 inch barrel? What bullet weights were used? Were theyHeavy 10MM Buffalo Bore or the Tactical Lower recoil loads?

Boolit Master

Can't answer the question Taz BUT.....I *can* tell you ever since the days of Miami Vice I've wanted a Bren Ten...yes, I'm old.....still want one....
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    a 40 S&W is the same thing only brass is cheaper , but I like 45 because they don't make a 46

Banned

if you believe that then the 308 is equal to a 3006 and the 3006 is equal to a 300 win mag. The 40 is to a 10 what a 38spec plus p is to a 357 magnum. Hardly equal. With the 40 your limited to 180s because of powder space and the 10mm will easily handle 200s and even bullets as heavy as 220 grain. But that doesn't make a 40 a pip squeak.
    Quote Originally Posted by evoevil View Post
    a 40 S&W is the same thing only brass is cheaper , but I like 45 because they don't make a 46

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    You see, the penetration of the .357 mag is better. Fact. Deal with it
    So penetration is the only part of it. I always wondered about that now I know

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast