Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made a new buddy today

Made a new buddy today

Out burning some brush this afternoon in my back yard when this fella shows up out of no where. My nearest neighbor is a mile away so who know where he came from. Real nice and knows a few commands, but no collar or tag. I can tell you, he does like Vienna Sausages...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Snow ninja; 04-04-2018 at 09:00 PM.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    We had a nice golden retriever crash the kids egg hunt on Sunday, luckily he had tags with a number to call, his owners came and gathered him up in about 15 minutes, he must have wandered a ways from home as well.

Banned

I'm kind of casually looking for another dog now, not in any rush. Had to put one down we'd had about 15 years about a month ago and I didn't realize I'd miss having a dog around so much (we are cat people mainly). It seems like in my life, the dogs we've had have just kind of "happened" and it will probably work out like yours did, one will just show up somehow.

Looks like you got a good one by luck.

Boolit Master

Labs make good neighbors.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Maybe he has a chip. County animal control can check.
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Looks like a sweetheart. Someone is missing him.

Boolit Master
    Some times people drop unwanted animals off out in the country. We have been blessed with some of these drop offs a few times.

Been wanting a dog, casually as someone said earlier, since my last one died a couple years ago. I found her on the way home from work one day about 15 miles from my house. She was wondering in the middle of the North bound lane while I was heading south. Turned around at the next median crossing to get her off the road. As I got closer I noticed her gait was "off" and she was skin and bones. I parked on the shoulder and wandered over to her and picked her up (luckily there was zero traffic that day) put her in the car floorboard and took her home. It was summertime so I gave her a bucket of water and some scraps to eat. Told my wife I wasn't sure if she'd stick around overnight, I figured if she left I at least have her a good meal. I woke w up the next morning and she was on the front porch. She hung out for the next 4 years...

Boolit Master

id be surprised if someone isnt looking for a missing lab. quite likely it has a chip, and those can be scanned by most vets or animal shelters.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Looks like a sweetheart. Someone is missing him.
    My thoughts too looks Cared for and loved
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Check for a chip and try to find anyone that might be missing him, you would want the same done for any of your missing pets. If none are found, he is yours.

Probably slipped it's collar. Sure hope you find the owner, but if not then sounds like the dog has found a caring new owner. Good luck.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Banned

Last Summer, wife and I were coming back from a movie on Saturday night late. We live out in the sticks and were along rural highway when she noticed a dog walking along the side of the road. We stopped and he obligingly came up to the car. I really didn't want to pick up an unknown dog with my wife in the car so we went a few miles to the house and I got my truck and went back to where he was but couldn't find him. The next morning on our way to church, there he is lying in the middle of this rural highway and I thought "Oh no! He's been hit" We were driving two cars, so I stopped and carefully walked up to him, turned out he wasn't hurt at all, he was lying in the shade of a big tree in the middle of the road. He was just taking a breather. Took him to the town we used to live in and where we still have a house my son is living in and where we still attend church and left him with some water and food in the fence. He was friendly but not needy and just generally pretty laid back. Wife got on the local facebook buy,sell trade and posted a picture of him, got a phone call inside of ten minutes from the daughter of the old man who owned him. Turned out he belonged to a house a mile or two from where I found him, so I called the guy and said I'd bring him back. I rolled into his drive way and that gentleman was almost in tears. The dog was 18 years old and he had had him since he was a small puppy he got from the pound. The old dog had gotten scared by fireworks the night before and wandered off and his owner was worried sick.

I had seriously thought about keeping that dog, I really wanted to, but I'm glad I didn't. If it were me, I'd try to find out of someone was missing him. If he was just put out like a lot of dogs and cats end up out in the country, then nobody will claim him and he's yours, but I think you should try.

Seems to keep hanging out on the porch, I'll call the animal control department in the morning.

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a nice looking dog! I agree, he looks too well cared for to have been abandoned. Someone is missing him!

Banned

And if not, looks like you got yourself a good dog. Win-win either way.

What good hunter doesn't like Vienna sausage? Thank God he's not a vegan!

Boolit Master

Oh man don't do that they may take too a shelter that kills that is a good looking dog that is loved just look at his coat
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I'm kind of casually looking for another dog now, not in any rush. Had to put one down we'd had about 15 years about a month ago and I didn't realize I'd miss having a dog around so much (we are cat people mainly). It seems like in my life, the dogs we've had have just kind of "happened" and it will probably work out like yours did, one will just show up somehow.

Looks like you got a good one by luck.

Our last 4 Dogs (3 Lab's a Yellow and two Chocolates; and a German Shepard) all adopted us. Three just showed up on the door steps and refused to go away; seeming to say "We Live Here", and then found our current Chocolate Lab in Central Nevada running wild with all the ribs and backbone sticking out. After throwing a few pieces of jerky to him he decided to jump in the Jeep; he's healthy and well filled out now 8 years later; but do not get between him and the Jeep when we are ready to "Go for a Ride", he becomes extremely enthusiastic and will knock one over to get the the Jeep.

Gotta love a FOUNDLING Dog.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

In Remembrance

Sadly back in the `50`s and `60`s we had a recurring problem on our farms of `city people` dropping off their dogs along side our buildings roadside. Aside from the animals being hungry or mal nurished they were a problem with `running` our penned animals. It got to the point we kept a Lee-Enfield #4 behind the kitchen door with 8 rounds in the magazine. It was cruel by some standards, but we tired of rounding up cattle that went thru fences chased by dogs. I took down a white German shepard once that had a calf down and was gnawing on its head. The dog was skin on bones, the calf had both ears chewed off. Another time I emptied the magazine on a pack of 5 dogs chasing 2 deer across a field at about 200 yds., only 2 dogs escaped.Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast