Thread: More bad pics

More bad pics

Cameras and I don't play well together.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180404_160746.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	217613

Left - .69 RB on (2) 20ga .125" hard cards, charge is 23g unique. 2 3/4" win compression hull.

Middle - 575g FB HB heat treated (turbo slug), (1) .125" 12ga nitro card, federal 12s3 minus petals. Charge 40g Blue dot. 2 3/4" win compression hull.

Right - 700g FB solid base (Accurate 73-700S) 12ga slug, (1) 0.5" fiber wad, fed 12s3 minus petals. Charge 65g SR 4759. 3" Remington-Peters high brass hull trimmed to 2.7".

Hope to use these on pigs shortly.

Yes Melissa, that is a round ball in a blue duster wad. I have no clue why it shoots well, that wad is a ***.

BB
    Last edited by bikerbeans; 04-04-2018 at 09:12 PM.

BB, that's not a bad picture. Turn on the flash so it goes off no matter what and you will fill in the foreground, might get some bounce back off the glass. You can mute that by spraying the glass with hair spray. Your wife/girlfriend will really appreciate that so be careful. Or so you live a couple of years longer, shoot from the side so the flash will angle off the glass that way you don't get stars in the picture.

Bet those will smack the snot out of the hogs.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master

That wad must have thin petals to fit a 0.690" RB and in a rifled gun? Mind you TRG3 said he used 0.690" RB's in shotcups but cut off two opposing petals. Makes little sense to me but he claimed excellent accuracy from a rifled gun. One cannot argue with success! Something I've been a little lean on lately!

I should order some of the BPI wads that they say take a 0.690" RB. No wads I'e tried with 0.690" RB's have worked for me so far.

I haven't seen the blue duster wads you have BB. Who makes them?

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    We used to call the 690 RB loads "Pumpkin Ball" loads, replace a field load's shot w/ the RB and fold the plastic front of the shell in so it's bent 135 degrees or so from straight. That helps retain the RB till you get some pressure going; Fun to shoot! And cheapish. Makes me wish there were hogs in WA state, a little anyways. I made mine with just regular wads with petals but WAS shooting them in a shotgun with no choke, unrifled also. I wouldn't try one with a full choke for them etc.

LB,

They are blue duster 1 1/8 oz wads. Owner if a LGS gave them to me several years ago. I pitched the bag they came in so I can't give you a part#, I will try and measure the petal thickness and rb diameter and see what I get. Theses are 1/2 minute of pie plate at 50 yards from a smoothbore and better than that from a rifled barrel. Headed to the range in an hour, will try and remember pics.

http://www.downrangemfg.com/index.ph...ory&Itemid=186

BB
    Last edited by bikerbeans; 04-07-2018 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Correct wad info

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    We used to call the 690 RB loads "Pumpkin Ball" loads, replace a field load's shot w/ the RB and fold the plastic front of the shell in so it's bent 135 degrees or so from straight. That helps retain the RB till you get some pressure going; Fun to shoot! And cheapish. Makes me wish there were hogs in WA state, a little anyways. I made mine with just regular wads with petals but WAS shooting them in a shotgun with no choke, unrifled also. I wouldn't try one with a full choke for them etc.
    I have shot the .69 RBs loads through a full choke sxs and can hit a pie plate offhand at 50 yards. Ball diameter is less than the choke diameter so all is good. I cast these balls from hardball alloy to try and keep them from deforming when shot. I would need a turkey choke to see if they would cause a problem at the muzzle.

BB

Name:	20180405_121313.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	217670

50 yds beretta 303 open sights, standing with elbows on a bench. 575g FB HB slug, 40g Blue dot

Name:	20180405_121259.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	217671

50 yds marlin 512 4x scope standing with elbows on a bench. 700g FB Solid base slug, 36g blue dot.

No roundball targets, left that ammo at home.

Targets rotated 90 degrees left.

BB

Banned
    Very good brother BikerBeans.

Thanks for sharing.

Best regards,
    Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Boolit Grand Master

Looking good BB!

Boolit Master

Better start making a list of excuses: sun, sweat or bug in eyes; just remembered I had not paid taxes, bought a license or forgot anniversary; sudden cramp in back or shoulder; wondered how I was gonna get this beast out at the last second or of if I had actually loaded gun; a really big one came into sights just as I pulled trigger; just remembered I hadn't seen hunting partner lately; limb I was using for prop broke; squirrel or pine cone fell from tree right in front of me; thought he was a lot further away; he was so big he looked a lot closer; he was jet black and it was getting dark; will Mueller subpoena me if it's a Russian boar? The reason I mention this is that the shot is always easier if you have excuse lined up ahead of time! Or so I have been told.....
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Better start making a list of excuses: sun, sweat or bug in eyes; just remembered I had not paid taxes, bought a license or forgot anniversary; sudden cramp in back or shoulder; wondered how I was gonna get this beast out at the last second or of if I had actually loaded gun; a really big one came into sights just as I pulled trigger; just remembered I hadn't seen hunting partner lately; limb I was using for prop broke; squirrel or pine cone fell from tree right in front of me; thought he was a lot further away; he was so big he looked a lot closer; he was jet black and it was getting dark; will Mueller subpoena me if it's a Russian boar? The reason I mention this is that the shot is always easier if you have excuse lined up ahead of time! Or so I have been told.....
    HT,

I hunt alone because squirrels can't talk. Don't want a story at hunting came that disagrees with my version.

BB

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, I've got our annual archery shoot coming up in two weeks and I haven't shot since last summer! If it rains "My fletch was wet!" and if it is sunny "The sun was right in my eye!"

It is easier with a quiver full of excuses lined up for sure!

That 700 gr. slug over 36 grs. of Blue Dot must get your attention! Maybe not brutal but it must bump you a bit.

I was just mic'ing and measuring recovered Paradox slugs from last range trip. Got to put a range report together with pics... and work on a few excuses as well! It wasn't all bad but it wasn't real pretty either!

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master
    bb

Good accuracy with those loads! Nice work.
    Don Verna

LB,

700g slug with 36g Blue Dot leaves a mark. The same slug with 65g of SR 4759 leaves a bigger mark plus a Weaver bite.
    I went with blue dot because I have better accuracy shooting with my eyes open.

Thanks Don.

BB

Boolit Master

That's a pretty legit excuse BB...anticipating a weaver mark just might cause a little flinch! Sure a pretty group though.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, I can feel brain cells shaking off the small remaining cluster I have just thinking about that recoil! I'm generally shooting a light single shot but even in a heavier gun that's a hefty load!

I'd have to look up what charge of Blue Dot I used with the 800 gr. slugs I shot. I wasn't pushing those too hard though. I think the hottest loads I shot with 0.735" RB's hurt me the most. But then shooting 30 to 40 off the bench in one sitting is a bit much.

Yes I think one eyebrow meeting with a scope would put me off a bit. Makes for a good excuse though "I would have hit it but I had blood in my eye!" I can't use that one shooting my bow though... unless I do something really stupid like draw to anchor then let go with my left hand.

Longbow

USMC 77, USRA 79

LOL at Longbow!!!

This comment painted an hilarious picture....

"unless I do something really stupid like draw to anchor then let go with my left hand."

Can't quite stop chuckling at that one...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

USMC 77, USRA 79

LOL at Longbow!!! still chuckling!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

LB,

I accidently did let go of a compound bow at full draw without an arrow. I was looking at the string and cables etc and moving the bow around when I lost my grip. I got most of the feeling back in my right after about 30 minutes.

BB
    Last edited by bikerbeans; 04-07-2018 at 02:08 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

BB:

Sorry BB, I didn't mean to be implying anything. Hey, I'm only 63 so still lots of time to release with the wrong hand!

What I have done is punched myself in the face when drawing! We had a big black bear in the backyard early one morning (like 4:00) and the barking dog and kids woke me up so I strung my 65 lb. oak bow and grabbed some rubber blunt tipped arrows then went to the back door. I looked at that bear and drew... next thing i knew I was holding the arrow and bowstring in my right hand, nothing in my left hand and was a bit "dazed" (more than a bit actually). In my haste I didn't get the bowstring seated in the knocks so at nearly full draw the string popped off a limb tip and my fully loaded right hand continued the journey to my face unimpeded by bow weight! Ouch!

In the end I managed pick up and restring the bow, which was now out in the backyard, knock another arrow and put it into the bear's stearnum when he reared up at me (I was barefoot and in a bathrobe beginning to think "I wonder what the headline in the paper will read?" "Barefoot idiot in bathrobe mauled by bear!"). Fortunately the blunt in the chest made an impression and the bear left.

In my experience there is always time to do dumb stuff then wonder why.

Longbow