WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: .351 Wincheseter Self-Loading Question

Boolit Bub

.351 Wincheseter Self-Loading Question

Have a mold that casts the proper bullet for the .351 WSL, Ideal #350447. Diameter is .352 which is good, but it is a gas check design and I would like to use them. I will assume I can use a .348 sizing die to crimp the gas checks on. Does Lee make special diameter push through sizing dies in .352 or can I buy one for my RCBS lube-sizer from someone? The base of the bullet measures .326 where the check crimps on.

Banned

I had a member here make me a .352 sizer that works like the Lee. He doesn't do it anymore, but I'm sure someone would, I think NOE makes push through sizers in whatever you want.

My bullet is an obsolete design for the .35 WSL, the predecessor to the .351 and it is plain based. I have used plain based gas checks, but they occasionally come off in flight making for some weird flyers.

I also got a 350447 mold with the intent to try what you're planning, but the project got back burnered for a while now. Please post results when you do. The .351 Is a neat cartridge and that light .348 bullet with the flat nose should make a fine deer hunting bullet.

Boolit Master
    I would check that the .348 bullet feeds through the magazine properly and that the OAL is about right. Factory .351 ammo was all round nose, same with the Lyman molds for .351 (and all the other WSL cartridges). I have the mold for .351 and used 348 gas checks. Sized with a .350 die which is probably small but all I had. Another option might be any of a number of .357 RN molds and size them down to .352. Haven't tried that yet. I have two of the 07's but they have been on the back burner for me too.

Banned

The bullet I mentioned is a round flat nose. It was good enough to lay out two does where they stood a couple of years ago. I'd like to hunt with it using a better bullet. If that .348 bullet works, it would be a better choice.

Boolit Bub
    I checked out the NOE website and think I found what I need. I will give them a call. Thanks for the advice.