Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Umarex Octane Air Rifle

Umarex Octane Air Rifle

Anyone here have experience with the Umarex Octane Air Rifle? I know it is supposed to be fast (1050 fps with lead pellets) but is there accuracy with the speed?

Steve...........
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    I have an Octane and an Octane Elite. My Octane Elite is faster than my 1st-Generation Octane but both are accurate to me. (depends on your definition of accuracy) The thing that enhanced the accuracy was the aftermarket trigger mod I installed in them both. Also important is finding the pellet that your gun shoots accurately at the velocities it has.

I tend to shoot my 1st-Generation Octane the most. It's the one I've become accustomed to shooting. I've mentioned this on more than one occasion here; so much so that it's begun to sound like I'm just bragging and, I am bragging but, I routinely make lethal hits on feral pigeons out to sixty yards with my Octane. I'm still having to get used to the "Stop-Shox" system of my Octane Elite. Others in our Umarex Octane Shooters Group have done the same and still others have not had the type of results I've bragged about even with the trigger mod upgrade.

I don't know of anyone who has gotten 1051fps with lead pellets; not even the lightest of them but, I'm talking about .22 caliber. Perhaps you are referring to the .177. I don't have any experience with the smaller of the two calibers that the Octane comes in.

HollowPoint

I was wondering if they lived up to the advertised speeds, this is copied from Pyramid Air's description of the Umarex Octane Air Rifle:

Caliber: 0.22" (5.5mm), Stock: Synthetic, Handle: Ambi, 1250 fps w/alloy pellets, 1050 fps w/lead pellets

How close are you getting to that velocity?

Steve........
    GOA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve E View Post
    I was wondering if they lived up to the advertised speeds, this is copied from Pyramid Air's description of the Umarex Octane Air Rifle:

Caliber: 0.22" (5.5mm), Stock: Synthetic, Handle: Ambi, 1250 fps w/alloy pellets, 1050 fps w/lead pellets

How close are you getting to that velocity?

Steve........
    I've never shot alloy pellets out of either of my Umarex Octane air rifles. The lightest lead pellets I've ever shot out of them are the Crosman Premier 13.3 gain domed and hollow pointed pellets. Out of my Octane Elite they chronograph at an average of 870fps. My 1st-Gen Octane the velocity of these same pellets is an average of 850ish feet per second. It depends on how they fit into the chamber of my air guns.

The loose fitting pellets don't seem to shoot as fast as the snug fitting pellets. This also affects my points of impact but I've been shooting the Octane for long enough now that I have a pretty good idea where to aim to compensate for the loose fit or the tight fitting pellets regardless of the range or distance. It's not really an accuracy issue related to the Umarex Octane itself but, rather, it's the fit of the pellet into the chamber of my Octane that determines in large part what the accuracy will be.

It took a while for me to figure that out but once I did I found that both my Octane model air rifles put out some consistently good accuracy.

HollowPoint

Wonder if it'll out shoot my Benjamin Titan GP. I was thinking about getting an new piston gas gun and narrowed it down to the Octane.

Steve........
    GOA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve E View Post
    Wonder if it'll out shoot my Benjamin Titan GP. I was thinking about getting an new piston gas gun and narrowed it down to the Octane.

Steve........
    I don't really know if it will "outshoot" the Benjamin Titan GP. The only way to know that is to test them side by side. You can watch online videos on that matchup and they may be helpful in making your buying decision but, air rifles are like powder burning rifles. Even among those of the same brand name and model name, some will shoot better than others. Most of the Umarex Octane owners I've communicated with have been happy with their purchase. There have been a few that were not so happy with their Octane air rifles so they sent them back to the seller.

I think the same is true of nearly all makes and models of air rifles within the Octane's specific category of air guns. What I did was go online to the various retailers and do an informal like-to-dislike comparison. Most of these retailers have a ratings system of from one to five stars which included information on the number of those who had actually bothered to post reviews. The latter number gives a good but general comparison of which air rifle was more popular and has been sold the most. Until you have one in your own hands for testing, it can be real hard to make those kinds of comparisons.

Tim M.
    Last edited by HollowPoint; 04-06-2018 at 04:38 PM.

I knew that any 'gun' powder or air is subjective unto it's self as far as accuracy is concerned. I was more or less wondering if they (Umarex) guns were more accurate in general over ones such as Benjamin as in Savages are in general more accurate than Winchesters.
    I've had this Benjamin Titan GP about seven years so it might be time for a new rifle. If I order the Octane I will keep the Titan for backup.
    I would go with the 22 cal as that is what I already have and also have a good assortment of pellets.

Steve.......
    Last edited by Steve E; 04-06-2018 at 12:47 PM.
    GOA Life Member

Boolit Master

Replacement "Silence-Air" Suppressor

A while back I destroyed the factory "Silence-Air" suppressor that came on my 1st-Generation Umarex Octane break barrel air rifle. I was wanting to see if that plastic suppressor really did quiet down the report of this particular air rifle so I went about trying to remove the plastic suppressor from the barrel. All I managed to do was destroy the factory suppressor. That was a $79.00 lesson learned the hard way cause in the end I had to buy a whole new barrel assembly to get it to shoot right.

I tried threading the muzzle of the old barrel to accept an adapter so that I could mount my store bought 30 caliber suppressor on it and it did work but I kept getting points of impact shifts so although it worked, I could not get it to shoot reliably accurate from then on.

I recently took delivery of my very first 3D printer. One of the projects I've had on the back burner is the making of a replacement "Silence-Air" suppressor/shroud for that same -now naked- Umarex Octane barrel that I've had in my storage closet ever since I destroyed the factory suppressor it once wore. I finally got around to it and it looks like it's going to work for me.

It's an air gun specific, Umarex Octane dedicated hybrid type of design that mimics the design I used to modify my Umarex Gauntlet Shroud. That Gauntlet Shroud turned out better than I had hoped so I just utilized the same concepts and components on this Umarex Octane replacement Suppressor/Shroud. I now have all of the components printed out and they look exactly like the CAD renderings pictured bellow. Now all I have to do is make up a couple of compression springs and I'll be ready to test it. If it doesn't work out as good as I'd hoped I'll just re-install the factory replacement barrel assembly but, I'm confident it will work. The overall weight is not to far off from the small plastic factory unit so I shouldn't have the points of impact shifts that I had with the heavier store bought suppressor.

When you look at the pics below you might ask why I made it in so many pieces. Well, originally I had modeled it in two major pieces; (it's 12" long) the front half and the back half with the smaller components fitting neatly into the inside. Unfortunately for me, my 3D printer will not accommodate a print of six inches in height so I thought I'd print it in four sections instead. This actually serves as a fail safe of sorts. This design won't work on anything but this particular model of air rifle. Even then it requires some modification to the muzzle to permanently install it. If it ever fell into the hands of an idiot (there are many around) it could never successfully be installed on a powder burner. I'm pretty sure that even the lowest powered powder burner would blow this thing to pieces at the joints of each component.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master

Adjustable Peep Sight Design for my Umarex Octane Elite

I finally finished up the CAD models of the Peep Sights for my Umarex Octane Elite air rifle. It's designed to drop right into the same slot that the factory plastic cover now fits into. The factory cover is that slotted plastic cover that's used to hide the Umarex Octane Elite's "Stop-Shox" recoil absorbing components. It supposed to clip right into place with three small claw-like protrusions on either side of the sight base.

Umarex also makes another air rifle that utilizes the "Stop-Shox" recoil absorbing technology and has the same plastic reciever cover on it as well. This same Adjustable Rear Peep Sight should fit that air rifle too since they both have that identical part covering the back of the reciever.

Right now I'm just waiting for some replacement parts I had to order for my new 3D printer. About three weeks in and one of the little extruder cooling fans took a dump on me. As soon as it gets here I'll be able to print out the first prototypes. I'm sure I'll need to go back and tweak some of the dimensions of my 3D printed parts so that everything fits as it should but from what I garnered from the last go around with the Umarex Gauntlet project, it shouldn't be nearly as much work.

Tim M.