Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Safety project - possible retail item idea?

Safety project - possible retail item idea?

Okay, so some years ago this idea hit me, after reading (yet another) accidental shooting news item. You know the ones, and with anyone over the age of about 9, they say the same thing:
    "I didn't think it was loaded".

How many times have those words been in the paper? So, I took a piece of paper and a couple of magic markers and wrote:
    Warning! LOADED!
    Turn off safety to fire

I put one on top of each pistol in its case. I made another and rubber banded it to the stock of my .22 (we lived in the country then with chickens and predators).

What I'm wondering is, do y'all think that an improved version of this might make a commercial item? I was thinking of doing the same sort of thing, except on a long strip of sticky notes, professionally printed. Peel it off, wrap around grip or even trigger and the sticky note glue holds it to itself. The sticky idea came to me when I got my lever gun. I wanted to do something like I had on my .22, but I thought "if I had rounds in the tube only, and the note said "Warning! Mag Loaded!" or such..." You'd have to remove the note to move the lever. If you're in a hurry, just tear it by using the lever. If you're not, remove the note and set aside for later.

What do you guys think? Worth the trouble to patent and go forward with it?

Dave
    Knightflyer - Pesky newbie with a 30-30 & a zillion questions
    "And what I want to say is this, that I'm the King's man; and if this Parliament of Owls is any sort of plot against the King, I'm having nothing to do with it." - C.S. Lewis, The Silver Chair
    Shalom y'all!

Someone would buy it.

I go by they are always loaded or at least I treat them as such.

Boolit Master
    A gun is always loaded until PROVEN otherwise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All mine are loaded, that way you don't have to guess.

Boolit Master
    The rule of "Always consider a firearm to be loaded" is a good one & has worked well for years.

There are now firearms that have a "chamber indicator" on the top of the slide, that is pretty obvious when there is a round in the chamber. ( My Ruger SR9 has one).

Other methods are the red, or orange plastic chamber "empty" flag/indicators that some folks use.

{ When I was in the Corps, 3+ decades ago, we had white ones that went into the M16A1 chambers that did the same thing as the ones above.}

While I think your idea is a good one, you are going to have to take into consideration that you are trying to sell "another type of mousetrap", so to speak...

You could certainly try to sell your idea & I think perhaps it would sell for ya, but keep in mind that those "flag/indicators" I posted the pic of above are, I think, only about $0.50 each, as well as rubber bands, zip ties, even wire, and printed out labels are easily come by for the "average joe & jane" to use themselves without buying anything special.

Just offering an opinion... You asked...

G'Luck!
    Last edited by JBinMN; 04-04-2018 at 02:35 PM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

I have been at matches and that bright yellow flag really makes seeing if a rifles bolt is open quick and easy. I got my first ones when the NR s flags were still red. With the Stem in the chamber and the flag out the port its only a glance to tell the chamber is empty and the bolt is open.

One thing is that some adhesives are hard on finishes so this needs to be taken in account also.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ronnie View Post
    A gun is always loaded until PROVEN otherwise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    At the risk of sounding condescending. As a nra certified pistol instructor that's the number one safety rule. Treat every gun as if it's loaded.

Yeh, but will they believe the note, assuming they can read?

Start with a "wet paint" sign,see how many people have to check to see if it's really wet,haha.

Which is a fundamental issue with firearms training.There are some folks that have a hard time processing basic info..... "treat EVERY firearm as if it was loaded" is a basic tenet.

Boolit Master

I have seen a similar product.
    It is a red plastic cut out with “LOADED” printed in black. It is designed to fit in the trigger guard as a warning.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm going to continue to mull it over.

Dave
    Knightflyer - Pesky newbie with a 30-30 & a zillion questions
    "And what I want to say is this, that I'm the King's man; and if this Parliament of Owls is any sort of plot against the King, I'm having nothing to do with it." - C.S. Lewis, The Silver Chair
    Shalom y'all!

Boolit Master
    I grew up on a ranch in cow country.
    We never kept any gun loaded for any reason ever.
    EDG