WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: HS-6 for 45ACP

HS-6 for 45ACP

I have found load data,but was wanting some opinions on how it worked out.

I will be initially will be using some plated 230 RN from Everglades and then will go to my Lee 230 RN mold.

Thanks for the input!

Banned
    I tried it and ended up liking red dot and Autocomp better YMMV

Boolit Master
    I have a 45acp rifle, and find that slower powders like HS-6 work really well with the longer barrel. HS-6 is my go to powder for shooting cast in 44 mag, so I have lots of it. This powder can be used in a 1911 pistol, but it's near the limit as one of the slower powders that would work. A better choice would be one of the faster powders. I use Unique for cast pistol loads in 45 acp. Powder coating makes this real simple: red is for pistol, blue is for rifle.

For standard vel or target stuff it's a tad too slow . It it does do well when the pressures are up in the +P range though or heavier than 230 gr bullets used it a good bit when I loaded 240-250 gr swc in my ruger P90
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Have not tried HS 6 but did try HS 7 powder in the 45 ACP. They no longer make HS 7 so forget that as it wasn't a good choice in my pistol. HS 6 may be good as said for a maximum + P loading.
    I have a cheap Hi Point pistol in 45 ACP that I rebarreled with a longer barrel to make it legal for deer hunting in OH if I chose to ever use it. I recently tried a + P load of AA no. 7 powder with a 200 gr. bullet and got over 1100 fps from the 5 3/4" bbl pistol and it shot accurate and fed and ejected perfectly.
    If your trying to get a maximum safe load for a 45 ACP I think HS 6 would be a great choice to play with.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    I've developed some good, accurate cast bullet loads with HS-6 in the .45 ACP. I've found Bullseye to be far more useful and versatile, even if you have to give up a little velocity.