RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lyman 45 Part(s) Missing?

Boolit Mold

Lyman 45 Part(s) Missing?

I have a 45 I plan to use mainly for sizing. It is tight with no excess play in the rods, etc. Sizing works great so far. I want to clean it up and get rid of the old lube. The cap to the lube chamber on this one has 4 openings on the top where the others I have seen are solid. I can slide the top off but there is no nut or anything else visible. I read through the clean up, etc. for the 45 but non of the photos come up. Get a photobucket circle and I don't have a photobucket account. If someone has a parts breakdown photo of this part of the unit would be very helpful. Or am I missing something from the instruction manual? Thanks in advance for any advise.

Boolit Master
    The top cap is just a cap and doesn't have a nut to hold it down. The main cap pushes the lube stick: when you load a stick of lube you first turn the lube screw counterclockwise until the main cap comes out and you pull it out when it gets totally unscrewed. Put the lube stick (hollow stick) in and push it down with your fingers; put the screw cap on, and screw clockwise until you pressure the lube. The top cap just keeps the dust out and probably helps steady the screw when you are down toward the bottom on the lube stick. My 45 is around 50 years old and still going -- if I ever had a parts drawing it is long gone.

Boolit Mold
    Thank for the info earlmck. I used to have a 4500 many moon ago but forgot just how they worked. This one is full of dried up lube so I think the first step would be a hair dryer on the tube and start digging away with wood sticks till I get the crud all out of there. Then I may find that piece that presses the lube down. This one must be an early model as there is a thumb screw to hold the to[ punch in place and a set screw to hold the die. No nut on top of the die.

Boolit Master

http://stevespages.com/pdf/lyman_ideal_no45.pdf
    This is the 45 manual see if helps. On the "advanced search button" type in "Lyman 45" and you'll find a plethora of articles about the amazing 45
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Mold
    Thanks much jeepyi. Nice manual, now to figure out how to print it out in booklet form ? ? I did find that the parts are all there for my 45. I put a hair dryer up against the lube tube and started digging out chunk & globs of old lube. Finally got it cleaned out decent. took a 1/8" brass rod and ground a point on the end. Used that to hold the pressure plate from turning while I backed it up out of the tube. Came out without much trouble. Have it soaking it thinner now to dissolve or at least soften the lube to get it cleaned up. It has not had the updated "O" ring system installed. Will clean the rest out another day. Thanks again.

Moderator Emeritus

There is a Photobucket fix,
    so you can see the photo's that are hosted by Photobucket.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hotobucket-FIX
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    I must have done something wrong as the fix didn't work for me. It shows up in the add-ons manager but still cannot see the photos. Using Firefox.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by chieffan View Post
    Thanks much jeepyi. Nice manual, now to figure out how to print it out in booklet form ? ? I did find that the parts are all there for my 45. I put a hair dryer up against the lube tube and started digging out chunk & globs of old lube. Finally got it cleaned out decent. took a 1/8" brass rod and ground a point on the end. Used that to hold the pressure plate from turning while I backed it up out of the tube. Came out without much trouble. Have it soaking it thinner now to dissolve or at least soften the lube to get it cleaned up. It has not had the updated "O" ring system installed. Will clean the rest out another day. Thanks again.
    I use "LsStuff White Label" Carnauba Red with a base heater with no O-ring upgrade. It leak up through the top a very small amount but when I put in the next stick put it down inside or save it for fluxing my pot and nothing is lost. I love my old 45s
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj