MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What bolt rifles were offered in 30-30?

Banned

JeffinNZ had one of those Husqvarnas and killed all kinds of critters with cast in it. Haven't seen him post in a while.

Boolit Master
    I've seen one of the Winchester 54s recently, it was going for $800, several Savages in the $300 range and that has been about it. I really liked the looks of the Winchester but couldn't justify the cost that day. I'm still keeping my eyes open, I'd like to have a bolt action 30-30 just for shooting lead but I do have plenty of 06s I can load down but it isn't the same.

Banned

This thread no has me keeping an eye open for a Savage Model 45 Super Sporter. I'm a vintage Savage fan but never owned one, seems that was their bolt gun between the Model 1920 being dropped and the introduction of the 340 series after WWII. Now I kinda want one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    I paid $69 for my used 788 30-30.
    A few months before I bought a 788 in 44 Mag for $65 new.
    I have owned 3 different 340 Savages. All cost about $65.
    Oh my goodness I had a 44 let it go I am really kicking myself for that one it was tac driver with cast boolits.

Here's my 1916 Mauser 30-30 (again). My best CB rifle so far. And no sloutch with j-words either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

How much trouble was it to get that rifle to feed those rimmed cartridges?

I've developed a thing for small ring Mausers lately, and I've always liked the .30-30, looks like a good combo.

Boolit Master
    Rich, you have some tinkering skills so you could make it work. I have one 98 in 30-30 but I turned the rim down same as 8mm rim. Really is no big issue as I did one box of brass(20) and never needed more with it. The 95 SR I feel are better because those extractors are generally worn open for this conversion and their extractor can be filed a little to get to slide on the bolt face. I have always wanted a rifle in every cartridge a 30-30 has been made in. I like the more efficient case and I don't need the speed to feel good.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    How much trouble was it to get that rifle to feed those rimmed cartridges?

I've developed a thing for small ring Mausers lately, and I've always liked the .30-30, looks like a good combo.
    Not much trouble at all. I installed a stop on the rear of the follower to keep the cartridge rim from dropping off the rear. I ground and polished the feed ramp a little to help flat points feed; then modified the bolt face and extractor. On my action, that's all it took. YMMV. More than three rounds in the magazine makes it iffy- so I only load three.
    Now I want to make a 25-35 or a 32-40 out of one.
    I've always loved the 30-30 cartridge, I've always loved Mausers. I'm just glad it worked.

Boolit Grand Master

The 6.5 Arisaka is an excellent bolt action for conversion to 30-30. The 6.5 Jap is a semi-rimmed cartridge and the magazine is designed for it. My Arisaka holds 5 rounds of 30-30 and feeds perfectly. The bolt face does have to be very slightly opened up or the rims of the cartridges can be slightly turned down (.002 - .003") does it.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Just for comparison purposes - I went to Wanenmacher last weekend, specifically looking for a Savage 340, or Remington 788, in .30-30.

I saw no 340s, but I did see dozens of 788s. Of the 788s, exactly 2 were chambered in .30-30. Both sellers knew exactly what they had.

I left with one of the rifles, complete with a Tasco 4x scope from the 70s, and a leather sling from the same era. The seller claimed he purchased estate guns for resale, and the look of his tables would confirm that.

The rifle was very dusty, looked to be fired very little, and is in very good shape. It looks like it spent many years in someone's closet.

The ask on both rifles was $800.

I paid $670 for the one I left with. I worked on the seller hard to get that price.

I think you did fine, especially if it is an early walnut stock example.
    We love pictures here. My local LGS has a Stevens 325 30-30 for $275. Was that the Tulsa show? Someday I'll make the road trip and go there.

Boolit Master

Yes the big Tulsa show. Wanenmacher show.

Funny, I bet I saw 50 or more Remington 788's. Everything from .222, .22-250, .308, etc. Most were priced at $300-400. The .222 at the lower end, the .308 and .22-250s at the upper end. Seems 22-250 is making a comeback of sorts.

Only the .30-30 was up there.

I'll try to get pics up later today, I haven't even taken any for my records.

I've had a bunch of 788s and my first rifle was one in 22-250. I'd like one in left hand 6mm to remind me of a late friend.
    The 788 made the 22-250 famous IMO. Enjoy the Grail 30-30!

Boolit Master
    Recently came into a Savage 340 first year of production. No A suffix, not tapped for scope, and no round cap on the bolt extension. Fairly nice American walnut stock. Put a Williams peep sight on it. Getting 2560 fps with 37 grs LVR and a 147 grs FMJ spitzer at the fast end and it seems to love 160 FN cast over 16 grs IMR 4227. Utilitarian. Love it.

Banned

There seems to be regional preferences on guns and I used to notice the Wichita Falls gun show always had a disproportionate number of 788s show up. Something about Texoma seems to like those rifles.

I've owned a few 788s over the years, all good shooters. The only one I have now is a 6mm and it's very accurate though I have not shot it in a long time. I wish Remington hadn't dropped it from the line.

Banned
    arlon,

In the early-mid 1960s (and MAYBE later), OTASCO, SEARS, MONTGOMERY WARDS, GIANT DISCOUNT CENTERS & WESTERN AUTO sold BA .30-30 rifles using their "private brand labels".
    (I heard that most of those "private label" rifles were actually made by MOSSBERG & IVER JOHNSON.)

I once (about 1965) bought a used OTASCO BA .30-30 for 40 bucks, as "a loaner". - It was UGLY but shot just fine out to 150M+.
    (I've seen better looking 2x4 studs at HD/Lowes than the wood that that stock was made from!!)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 04-12-2018 at 05:21 PM. Reason: typo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12