Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What bolt rifles were offered in 30-30?

Boolit Master

What bolt rifles were offered in 30-30?

Only ones that come to my mind were the Savage 325/340 and the Remington 788. I'm sure there were more of them. I've always wanted a 788 in 30-30 but they seem to be pretty scarce. I've seen a few Savages but not sure how reliable they would be. What are your thoughts on the various 30-30 bolt guns?

Boolit Master
    The Winchester Model 54 was cataloged in .30-30; no idea how many were actually produced.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I liked the Savage I had Ms killed hog with it . I keep reading about the extractor being a fail part but never had an issue .

Scope mounting can be rough now , it's a speciality one of a kind side mount .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Practical folks get a .308 or 30-06 and load to 30-30 level.
    Good for them.
    Rem 788s and Win 54s were always just out of my reach.
    My desire won out so I rebarreled a 1916 Spanish Mauser to 30-30 and it is one of my favorite rifles.
    It'll never happen but I think the Ruger American would sell in 30-30 if they chambered it so.
    I've owned 2 of the Savage/Stevens bolt actions but never warmed to them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Practical folks get a .308 or 30-06 and load to 30-30 level.
    Good for them.
    Rem 788s and Win 54s were always just out of my reach.
    My desire won out so I rebarreled a 1916 Spanish Mauser to 30-30 and it is one of my favorite rifles.
    It'll never happen but I think the Ruger American would sell in 30-30 if they chambered it so.
    I've owned 2 of the Savage/Stevens bolt actions but never warmed to them.

I've got a Swedish that I'd like to convert to .308. Maybe a 20" med. contour tube, globe front sight and peep rear. With a fine trigger it would be great for long range pot shots. Probably make the most sense to just rebarrel it in 6.5.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 04-04-2018 at 03:05 PM.

Boolit Master
    I paid $69 for my used 788 30-30.
    A few months before I bought a 788 in 44 Mag for $65 new.
    I have owned 3 different 340 Savages. All cost about $65.
    EDG

No more than a year ago I watched a 788 in 30-30 sell for 1000$ and a 44 go for 2100 at a sale. Neat as they may be I consider that a bit high. The 340 is still going for sub 200$ around here.

I had an uncle who owned one. He didn't hunt with it, that I'm aware of, but a couple of his sons, as teenagers hunting deer down on my grandparents' farm would on occasion use it. I haven't seen that gun in nearly 40 years but I think it's probably still in his family.

Quote Originally Posted by jlchucker View Post
    I had an uncle who owned one. He didn't hunt with it, that I'm aware of, but a couple of his sons, as teenagers hunting deer down on my grandparents' farm would on occasion use it. I haven't seen that gun in nearly 40 years but I think it's probably still in his family.
    While I was typing a bunch of other responses came in. My own response was about a Winchester Model 54 in 30-30, just to clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    I paid $69 for my used 788 30-30.
    A few months before I bought a 788 in 44 Mag for $65 new.
    I have owned 3 different 340 Savages. All cost about $65.
    If you had bought lottery tickets on those days you would be a billionaire!

Boolit Master
    I have a Savage 340A in 30-30. Its a hoot to shoot. It eats everything. Just got done doing a light trigger job on it a few weeks ago. Now it is even more fun.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Banned

The little Savage 340s are better rifles than they are given credit for. Scope mounting really isn't a problem, Sun Optics makes a good machined aluminum one piece mount that is better than the traditional Weavers.

I have a 788 I got for $00 even about three years ago and as much as I have liked the 788s I've owned, couldn't really justify having another bolt action .30 caliber and I generally liked my 340 better so it went down the road.

If it was me, I'd get a Savage 340 if I had to scratch a bolt action .30-30 itch.

When my daughter started hunting she was 13 and used my Marlin 30-30 CB. She got a few deer with it over the few years she used it. I wanted it back, as I gave it to her to use and ended up working over a Chilean Mauser converted to 300 Savage (it was rebarreled with a Remington barrel) A Savage 340 would have been an excellent choice for her and they are a bit scarce around here. Most "kids guns" are cut down 243's or something along that line. A 30-30 would be an excellent choice for that market. Ammo costs alone are attractive.

While Texas Shooter has a point about using reduced recoil loads in a 308 or 06, the 30-30 has certain attractions in itself. Ammo is cheap enough that it takes a lot of shooting to pay for reloading for one. The 30-30 is about one of the best cast bullet cartridges around. Its more limited case capacity and longer neck really facilitate cast bullets. I have read more than one testimonial as to how accurate a Savage 340 or Rem 788 is with cast. I have a 32-20 and enjoy using it with its normal loadings. While I could load down a 30-30 to those levels there is a certain advantage to the smaller case. Same principle as loading down a bigger cartridge to 30-30. They would also benefit using the new Hornady LE's.

DP

In Remembrance

The Ruger American Ranch carbine in 7.62x39 is probably 'more available' than the unjustly much-maligned Savage 340 (I haven't seen one for sale at a gun show hereabouts in maybe 40 years) but oh my! the COST!!! CDN$700 out the door here is a 'good' price. Handload ballistics can be similar with cast: the Lyman Handbook says so.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Master
    Back in the 30's Savage made the Super Sporter Model 40 and 45, in cal. 250-3000, 30-30, 30-06 and I think.303 Sav or 300 Savage. I have a 30-30 and killed my last deer with it. The model 45's with the factory reciever sights are really nice rifles.

Banned
    theres is also a stevens( and savage) model 325. i know that is nothing more than a savage model 340, but what the heck....

I have 2 Savage Super Sporters in 30-30 love them! one with the receiver sight and one that has been drilled and tapped for a scope. Both are superbly accurate.

Banned
    I think Husqvarna(sp?) made a rifle in 30-30. It was a single shot but technically a bolt action.

Or, maybe it was a bolt action the was technically a single shot.

I don't know about the semantics, I do know that I have always wanted one.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Remington-Lee sporter in 30-30. Currently being saved from a tough life but will remain 30-30.
    Not one you'll come accross in any of it's offered calibers very often but a 30-30 bolt action sporter none the less

Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post
    I think Husqvarna(sp?) made a rifle in 30-30. It was a single shot but technically a bolt action.

Or, maybe it was a bolt action the was technically a single shot.

I don't know about the semantics, I do know that I have always wanted one.
    I have been keeping my eyes open for a 91 Mauser with a washed-out barrel just to create a rifle like you speak of. I would rebarrel it to 30-30, machine a feed tray and solder or epoxy it in place. The bolt face would have to be opened up a bit but the extractor should snap over the 30- 30s rim with minor modfication. Then I would remove the bottom metal and patch the hole with Walnut and slim the stock down to Sporter profile. I should end up with a very light well-balanced stalking rifle.
    The 30-30 is just such a wonderful cartridge that it shouldn't be limited to single shots and lever actions. I know Savage made the model 170 pump action 30-30 but it is a poor design in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast