Load DataWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Max unique powder in Henry 45 big boy classic

Max unique powder in Henry 45 big boy classic

I went to the range today and got good results from 250 grain Missouri bullets in my rifle with 8.5 grains of Unique. I used some 250 laser cast with 6.3 grains of Titegroup with shotgun patterns. I see no pressure signs and am sure this is asked a million times. How strong is the big boy. Ruger only states Marlin and Thompson center with rifles. I chrono graphed 1112 fps on average with the Missouri and Unique. Titegroup loads were so erratic I didn't bother. I would like to try 9.5 to 10 grains for a little faster. Not wanting excessive speed but want more than I'm getting. Any suggestions???

I have a Henry BB in 45 Colt and a bunch of Marlins. There bolt , receiver , and bolt locking are very similar.
    I would say the Henry is as strong as the Marlin but if you are after a more powerful load for the 45 Colt I would use a slower powder such as, 2400, blue dot, H 110 ect.

Jedman

Have you used the 2400? I've found some but was hesitant since it's a good 44 powder. Wasn't sure about the 45. I've got some h110 hp38 and Titegroup. Titegroup wasn't so good today but 6.3 grains felt awful weak with the laser cast Oregon trail bullet. I've taken the bolts out of my Henry and JM Marlin and they don't appear to be much difference in the two. Brass on the Henry may be thicker.

Banned

2400 is your friend
    Based on your first post it is exactly what you want

Banned

The Henry will take Ruger Level Loads and 1892
    Primiary limitation is bullet length
    This is from Buffalo Bore
    Heavy .45 Colt +P Ammo - 260 gr. J.H.P.
    (1,450 fps/M.E. 1,214 ft. lbs.)
    50 Round Box
    (Big Game up to 350 lbs.)

ITEM 3C/50

These Heavy .45 Colt +P loads are safe in all LARGE FRAME Ruger revolvers. (includes Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, all pre-2005 Vaquero, Bisley, Redhawk) Please read the following linked technical article to know more about Ruger revolvers and 45 Colt +P ammo.

Ruger Revolvers and 45 Colt +P Ammunition
    These loads are also safe in all modern Model 1892 leverguns as well as all Winchester & Marlin 1894's. Please read the following linked technical article to know more about 1892s and all variants or copies of the 1892.

1892’s & All Variants/Copies

These loads have an Overall Length of 1.580" and can be used in Henry Lever Actions.

Boolit Master

As mentioned, the solution for you would be a slower powder. For what it's worth, I've found Titegroup difficult to meter which may account for your inconsistent groups.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

I charged cases with Titegroup from a Hornady chargemaster and checked on balance beam. It's never done me a lot of good except in 9 mm.

HS6 may be my best friend.

Boolit Master

Your Henry is made in .44 magnum as well, same gun. It certainly should take what ever a .45 Colt can dish out, same conditions as a Marlin 1894 same frame, different caliber. I routinely run my hunting loads past book recommendations. Paco has an excellent write up regarding .45 lever guns, but it was penned prior to Henry making their Big Boy rifles. http://www.leverguns.com/articles/pa...ltlevergun.htm You will likely find something of use therein.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB