RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which 'tube-type' red dot for my Ruger NM Blackhawk?

The FF 3 has shipped from Midway. I was a little surprised their shipment came in today and still qualified for their ' Optics Caleb! Should see it early next week, hc18flyer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    Larry, I have been leaning toward the Fast Fire for my Ruger BH. Missed out on a one day optics sale at Midway, guess I will keep trying? Read some complaints about the battery compartment threads on the FF 3? Any thoughts? Thanks, Tom
    I've only had to change out the battery once in the 8 years I've had the FastFire on the Ruger. Never had a problem. Anything with fine threads need care when using.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Another one here for the Burris FastFire. Have one on my Ruger 41 Magnum Bisly and love it. Will be getting a couple more, one for my 44 Magnum BHFT and one for my OM Vaquero 44-40.
    what mount are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    zymguy- I know you were asking Larry. I ordered the longer Jack Wiegand version that clamps around the ejector rod tube and barrel because I thought I was going with a 'tube type'. When I started thinking about size, weight and using it on other pistols, as well as reviews, I went with the FF3. I should have gone with the Wiegand 'Micro, no drill/tap mount' for my Blackhawk.
    hc18flyer

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    zymguy- I know you were asking Larry. I ordered the longer Jack Wiegand version that clamps around the ejector rod tube and barrel because I thought I was going with a 'tube type'. When I started thinking about size, weight and using it on other pistols, as well as reviews, I went with the FF3. I should have gone with the Wiegand 'Micro, no drill/tap mount' for my Blackhawk.
    hc18flyer
    ive got a yet to be installed WEIG-A-TINNY®. i chose it because it was what i felt the least obnoxious. I can even see the mount larry used !

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    I used a flat bottomed thin Weaver base (sorry, don't have the # w/o removing the sight). With a quarter or other simple tool the FastFire can quickly be removed if necessary and the original iron sights are still there and zeroed for instant use.

Attachment 218354

BTW; it didn't bother me at all to D&T the top strap. I got the Ruger to use not for some imagined "collector" value that probably won't happen until long after I'm dead.......that is if whoever I leave it to are still are allowed to have guns then. I've tried 2 different "no drill" bases and they add considerable bulk, especially if adding such a small sight. I carry the Ruger in a slightly modified Uncle Mike's shoulder holster which keeps it out of the way and protects it.

Attachment 218355

Actually I think the modification for FastFire use has increased it's usefulness and value to those of us who's eyes have gone south. Then, even had my eyes not gone south, the FastFire is such an improvement I wish I had had it available many years ago.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 04-14-2018 at 10:35 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Mold
    Another vote for the UltraDot

Update- Returned the 'longer' Wiegand mount and used the 'Mini' that utilizes the Blackhawk rear sight mounting hole. Mounted the Burris Fastfire3 red dot. Took a bit to get it zeroed in. Found that I could concentrate less on getting everything aligned and focus more on grip and trigger pull. I will be adjusting loads to maintain a common poi at 25 yards. Will be looking for a flat Weaver base to drill and tap, as per Larry's example. Be great to have a lower mount and keep original rear sight in place.
    hc18flyer

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I used a flat bottomed thin Weaver base (sorry, don't have the # w/o removing the sight). With a quarter or other simple tool the FastFire can quickly be removed if necessary and the original iron sights are still there and zeroed for instant use.

Attachment 218354

BTW; it didn't bother me at all to D&T the top strap. I got the Ruger to use not for some imagined "collector" value that probably won't happen until long after I'm dead.......that is if whoever I leave it to are still are allowed to have guns then. I've tried 2 different "no drill" bases and they add considerable bulk, especially if adding such a small sight. I carry the Ruger in a slightly modified Uncle Mike's shoulder holster which keeps it out of the way and protects it.

Attachment 218355

Actually I think the modification for FastFire use has increased it's usefulness and value to those of us who's eyes have gone south. Then, even had my eyes not gone south, the FastFire is such an improvement I wish I had had it available many years ago.
    Larry- I believe that to be a Weaver # 61 base. I found that one and another that looks lower? Warne also has a base that should work as well? I will have to report back with details. hc18flyer

Marked for further research. Thank you gentlemen.

Finally my Blackhawk is back in service. Found a very low Weaver base in a 'bargain bin. I shortened it and filed it to fit as far back as I could, then my Gunsmith drilled and tapped it for me. Allows me to take off the Burris Red Dot and use my iron sights, without removing the base. Thanks Larry Gibson!hc18flyer Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180724_174302.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	224287

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12