WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Lee mold rebuild

Boolit Master

Lee mold rebuild

So when I moved recently, lots of items were in boxes here and there...including my casting molds...

In the helpful hands that showed up to assist my molds (or half of them) were left outside and we're rained on...my heart broke!

Lee handles and sprue plates all showing signs of rust...aluminum blocks show some (very light ) oxidation and or white residue...

How do I start from where I am and rebuild? I know I can likely get new handles (may be a good opportunity to buy Lee commercial molds instead) take off the sprue plates and clean them up maybe reblue...what can I do to get these back to working order?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Should call Lee and ask them what they think. The oxidation should clean up easy. Scotch Bright on spur plates and oil. Id be smashed about it. Hope you get them fixed

Newly formed Red rust is easy to remove It should come of easily, if you rub it with solvent. You may even use fine sand paper (#600 or 800)on the handles and sprue plate. After cleaning, grease should be applied before heating up, as usual. Copper grease spray (+1100'C) works good for me. I wouldnot worry even about some cosmetic damage on the handles, as long as the cast blocks are ok.
    Ahmet Ozalp <aka> StCAt
    'If you are good, you live forever, if you are bad, you die when you die.'
    Benelli M3S90 26''
    Beretta 1301T 18''

Boolit Master

I would use something like Ajax and a scrub brush on the aluminum molds themselves

when I get a touch of rust on my sprue plates and other iron parts (bolts, etc) a quick trip to the wire wheel will remove it.

If/when you oil it consider Kroil as it doesn't contaminate the mold. You can leave it on and it will eventually dissipate with repeated castings. wipe off the molds once it's on to speed the process

can you post some pics to we can see how bad they are--might not be really that big of a challenge
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

The white oxidation is an excellent mold release. Clean loose excess with a rub down with coarse cloth but don't polish it off. Kind of rapid patina.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    If you clean,or sand a sprue plate to bare metal,it will blue itself the first time its used.I must say,I ve never heard of anyone losing any sleep over Lee molds before......

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    If you clean,or sand a sprue plate to bare metal,it will blue itself the first time its used.I must say,I ve never heard of anyone losing any sleep over Lee molds before......
    Ha, well they were my first molds...and so they are only 25 bucks each...but it's the principal of it I think.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

I would start with one.
    Pick one that wasn't your favorite (in case you wreck it).
    I wouldn't worry about the rust on the handles or the condition of the wood, as long as there is something to hang on to.
    I would oil the hinge on the handles.
    The top of the sprue plate isn't a concern, but you could rub it with denim and oil to get any loose rust off.
    The bottom of the Sprue plate needs to be clean, smooth, flat, and rust free...fine (220grit) sandpaper is what I'd use, if needed.
    For the aluminum blocks, I would use a toothbrush hot water and dish soap and clean them as good as those tools allow.
    Then do a test cast, if the results were favorable, I'd continue cleaning the rest of them.
    that's my 2˘

PS: I don't see the sense in "rebuilding" them or refurbishing them...but, of course that is up to you. You can get all the parts from Lee to do that.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    You could soak them in waterbased rust eater like Evapo-Rust™ Rust Remover @ HF, HD has some too.
    when I sand the sprue plate, I would put the sandpaper on a piece of glass to assure a flat surface/finish. You can get new sprue plates from Lee for the price of shipping and handling. I often mail the bad parts to them and they will send replacements for free .
    Lee may not be the fanciest or most expensive product but they work and their customer service and part replacement policy is excellent. The only one better that I have delt with is RCBS.

Boolit Grand Master

I would think that a good brushing with soapy water and a brush would tale care of the oxidation. Maybe with some Ajax or Comet like Walter Laich posted. Brushing them with some oil, like Kroil, might do the same. EvapoRust will remove any rust on the sprue plate and screws. It will also remove the blueing. The wood on the handles can be sanded a little and stained.