RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wanting a .308 hunting rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Wanting a .308 hunting rifle.

My deer rifle has been an older Model M70 Coyote in .308. It is extremely accurate but it is a tad heavy at nearly 9 lbs. without the scope.

I do not use cast bullets to hunt with so that is not a requirement. Although I hunt in MI, where there is mostly woods, I sometimes hunt power lines where longer shots are available.

Must haves:
    An excellent trigger
    1 MOA for 5 shot groups with 150-165 gr hunting bullets (handloads) Average...not just one group.
    Easily scoped
    Weight under 7.5 lbs
    Minimum 20" barrel

Nice to have:
    22-24" barrel
    Box magazine

A bolt action gun is what I use for serious work but love shooting the lever actions (I have 6). I have looked at the BLR and Henry Long Rifle but question their accuracy potential. So I think a bolt action is preferred.

Currently looking at:
    M70 Coyote Light
    Browning A-bolt
    CZ 557

Any experience welcomed as well as other rifles to consider.

Thanks
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Ruger Scout in 308 mine is MOA accurate gives options for Scope mounting; Conventional or Scout Scope and it is Light handi and reliable. Savage makes one as does Mossberg these carbines shoot with enough accuracy and athority to take Elk as I have done with my Ruger Scout. I like my laminated stock as it's very stable. As far as flash hider goes I replaced mine with a Muzzle brake, I like it, it reduces recoil for those who do not like them simply remove them and put the thread protector on.

http://ruger.com/products/scoutRifle/models.html

My vote went to a Ruger Model 77 Ultralight (6lbs, short-action, 20" bbl, slimmed-down stock, etc).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Vendor Sponsor

I have an older Ruger M77 that has been fully steel bedded with upward pressure at the forend, pillar bedded screws, lapped locking lugs, using ff brass, collet crimp, and seating out .025" from the rifling, this one will put 3 into a guitar pick @200yds. It shows a preference for plain based bullets over boattails.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    When I decided I wanted to get a 308 hunting rifle I chose the Kimber 84 Classic. 6lbs with a compact scope and gives fine accuracy, I have not shot a group with it in 10 years, so don't have exact data, but 5 shots from field type rests over 4 days will stay in 3 inches at 200 yards. Yep, one shot a day, that's how I hunt so that's how I test it every year.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I use a Savage 99 Featherweight 308 - Top Safety Model, excellent trigger, MOA with 150's and 165's, weight - with 2.5-8 Leupold, sling and 6 cartridges, right under 8 lbs.

Boolit Master
    As mentioned the Ruger Scout is very accurate and the .308 isn’t hampered by its 16.5” (actually 17.25”) barrel. My wife has a newer Winchester Featherweight in .308 and it’s sub-MOA with good ammo and a pretty nice rifle to boot.

You’re going to be hard pressed to find a .308 that isn’t a decent venison gatherer.

Boolit Master

Hey D,

As you know I hunt your area. My wife shoots a Ruger M77RL Ultralight in 243 and about 4 years ago I made the switch from my Ruger M77 VT (10 + lbs with scope, gets heavy at 60....) to a Ruger Gunsite Scout outfitted with an Ashley full length scope rail and Luepy 3.5-10 scope in 308 and it is a JOY. MOA all day, NICE trigger and adjustable butstock for my short arms too and magazine fed too.

Only rifle I like better is my Ruger RPR but that's a bit heavy too...

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Pick whichever rifle that stirs your soul.... I think they're all capable.

I don't shoot JB's very much at all anymore.My two go to CB hunting guns are a stainless R700 SPS in 7-08 and a Marlin X7 in 308.With the former used most often. If the wind is blowing I'll take the X7.Have many,many other rifles,most are more $$,better looking,yadayada.But from expedient field shooting positions none "handle" quite as fast as these.The 7 wears a 1-4X20,the 308 is 3-10X50.Good luck with your purchase.

An oldie but a goodie is a Rem 600 or 660. Both come in .308 Win & the 660 has a laminated stock. Light, fast & accurate! They are common at the gun shows for about $600 in good shape.

Just a thought....
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Tikka T3- will meet all your criteria with ease. I've owned & shot most every bolt gun out there but I've settled on the Tikka- I have three. They needed nothing out of the box. Great trigger; Sako made. Just my two one hundredths.

Boolit Master

The older a-bolts are a dream. Attachment 217557 Don't beieve there's a slicker action. 260 yds last October, dropped in tracks in clear cut. Pretty too!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

Kimber 84M Montana, and beat your weight requirement by almost a full pound.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Ditto on the Tikka....light, fast pointing, and accurate

Boolit Grand Master
    Great stuff guys.

The Ruger, Kimber and Tikka will be added to the list.

Prefer either a composite or laminated stock to minimize POI changes.
    Last edited by dverna; 04-03-2018 at 08:50 PM.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Check this Savage out; https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...weight-hunter/

Stainless is the only way to go for a deer rifle imho. Can rain or snow on it all day without worries.

You can’t go wrong with the TC compass in .308 this is a 15. FIFTEEN round group with the lee 312-155 sized to .310 with mixed brass and CCI 200 with 13 grn of 800x 50 yards

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DD1BCE6A-1888-42F9-B757-6580BA2192E4.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	217558

Boolit Bub

Ruger American Standard. #6903, 308 Win 4+1 Right-Handed Alloy Steel / Matte Black Black Synthetic Stock 22" barrel 42"OAL 6.1 lb. $489.00 Mines a tack-driver!

Howa 1500, or Tikka.

Just picked up a Tikka T3 blued varmint weight 308 Win ( 7.8 lbs without scope). Very nice.

A sporter weight barrel Tikka would obviously be lighter.
    Last edited by catboat; 07-06-2018 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Reporting Tikka purchase

Boolit Master
    I have purchased a few Ruger American and can confirm they are tack drivers and the price point allows for money to spent on the scope. I also like the price point to allow an upgrade in the stock. My 450 Bushmaster is great rifle and I ordered a Magpul stock to enhance it even more. Again the price point allows it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast