Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wanting a .308 hunting rifle.

Boolit Master
    ....another point for keeping the weight down. I like the Leupold 2-7x scopes on hunting rifles to be used inside of 350 yds.

8.2 Oz. and all the scope I need for deer or even coyote size game inside 350 yds. Why add another 1/2-1 lb. for glass capabilities that you will never use.

Boolit Master
    That is a good point about the scope, as long as the one you pick has enough light gathering for dusk or dawn hunting. I used 3x or 4x fixed power back when I hunted.

I would second a Savage. My next heavy barrel will be a Savage 10.

I would also consider the TC. Have a hard time beating the price/performance on those two.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought two bolt guns late last year.
    Either would fit your needs nicely, and both are offered in .308Winchester.
    First was a Thompson center Compass. Mine is in .243Winchester and is as accurate as I am out to at least 300 yards. That's all the farther I've taken it.
    Next was Mossberg Patriot. Mine is in .30-06, and it too is a tack-driver with decent ammunition.

Price point on both is under $500. As a matter of fact, I believe I paid just less than $200 for the Compass, and right at $400 for the Patriot.

Boolit Master
    I recently bought a Mossberg 308 Patrol rifle with the threaded 16" barrel. It is quite accurate with jacketed and it also likes heavier CB's (180-200's). By taking off the flash hider and putting on the thread protector then using faster burning powders, I have quieted down the blast of the short barrel while retaining the hunting capabilities with those heavy boolits. It is a handy little rifle.

Boolit Master
    Tikka or savage both I'll work well ,trigger and bolt on the tikka are super slick .

I like the look of the old 788s, I'd like to find one in any caliber, but think i'd like the 7mm-08

Boolit Master
    I had one in 7mm-08. Tack driver. Never used cast with it, mostly Sierra Gameking or Matchking bullets. My first ugly but accurate rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Kimber has a few in your specs. Tikka is another on that does a fine job. The Browning Line up includes a lighter weight premium rifle in the hells canyon line.

I think consistent 1” groups with 5 shots is doable but will take development with any of the chosen rifles.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm a big fan of Rem 700 and Ruger M77 & #1

Boolit Master
    If you pick up some factory match ammo then it should group less than 1" in the rifle of your choice.

When I bought my Savage Axis I was shocked at the 3" groups with batch ammo (.223). Then I got some Federal match (69gn Sierra Matchking) ammo. First 5 rounds went into 3/4 inch. I don't know if they will do better because I can't shoot any better than that, even off a bench.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    Kimber 84M Montana, and beat your weight requirement by almost a full pound.
    I'm in complete agreement. I have a leupold 1.5-6X 3i scope on mine in talley lightweight mounts. It weighs 6 lbs 2oz with a sling. It's a tack driver. I was torn between the 7-08 and .308 both of which I already have and greatly respect. The nod went to the .308

What I really wanted was a .338 federal.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 43PU View Post
    You can’t go wrong with the TC compass in .308 this is a 15. FIFTEEN round group with the lee 312-155 sized to .310 with mixed brass and CCI 200 with 13 grn of 800x 50 yards

Attachment 217558
    I've got 4 T/C Compass rifles. 270, 308, 30-06 and 6.5 Creedmor. All will shoot MOA with factory ammo and all cost under $250 with rebate. 2 of them cost me $170
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I bought a Ruger American All Weather in .308Win. Even with the cheapest 150gr FMJ surplus ammo I found it was putting 5 round groups into .75". With the Federal Match 168 SMK ammo I could shoot several .5" groups. This little rifle has impressed the heck out of me. It's not a great looking gun but it's an accurate rifle that i'm not afraid to drag through the rain and snow and scrub brush here in NV.

I also have a Tikka T3 in 7mm RM and it's another light weight tack driving machine. The Tikka has one of the smoothest actions I've ever cycled.

The T3 Hunters are light, accurate , AND pretty. The recoil pads are like boot heels is my only complaint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I am leaning towards a Tikka. The Kimbers have had mixed reviews that give me pause.

I am a sucker for a pretty gun that will shoot.

I looked at the Ruger No 1 but the only new ones in .308 are anniversary editions that do not move me. I know it is not a bolt gun but a single shot would serve well for my hunting needs.
    Don Verna

My .308 Tikka Varmint with a bull barrel is my most accurate weapon

Slim.
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

My 1st brand new HP rifle was a Win 70fw/ .308. I really didn't pick it out it was one of several
    guns I got from a business going out of business when I-70 went through. It so happens this is
    a pre 64, even though that's the year I got it. I put a 6x scope on it and as many rifles as I've
    owned it is still my go to serious hunting rifle. I've had several other 308s,Sako- Rems in several
    models and Brn BAR. The Sako was as good as my old m70 and they all shot well. The only one
    that was a disappointment was Rem 742. My name for it was a Insult Rifle. I have shot a lot of
    deer with my m70, my farthest shot was about 250yds which is a long shot for were I hunt. I
    shot 150gr bullets for years then tried Speer 130 HPs which were listed as a accuracy load for
    the M1a. The rifle really likes them and that's the load I took my 250yd deer, the longest shot
    I've ever made on a deer. I load the 130hp Speer with 47.0 gr of IMR-4895 at apx 3000fps. I
    also shot a lot of ground hogs with this load, many in 300yd range with gun bagged. Some
    don't like the 308, but I think it's a versatile cartridge.

I used the .308 a lot in a Ithaca LSA55, a Sako, and a 788 and that 130 hp flat out works. A man could be a one gun guy with a .308 Win. Like DRM50, my 742 was a lemon but I had a 760 that was great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

I would recommend the Ruger American rifle.

Mag fed, light, mine is very accurate, and easy on the wallet.

If I was to buy another hunting rifle, haha... I mean.. WHEN I buy another hunting rifle it will be a tika t3 lite stainless in .308 or 30-06. Have one in 300 win mag and it will shoot repeatable .33 inch groups at 100y. Awesome rifles, you will not regret buying one.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast