Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winchester Model 70

Boolit Master
    I own a pair of 70's, both in 270 which is the caliber God intended a Winchester 70 to be chambered in. One is a post-64 push feed gun and the other is a lefty with the pre-64 CRF action that was one of the last rifles out the door before Winchester closed the New Haven plant. The lefty has a beautiful piece of well-fitted walnut and will put three shots touching at 100 yards. The push feed gun was the first CF rifle I ever bought (in 1989) and has a laminated stock and a thin barrel. It seems equally as well built, although not quite as accurate. It shoots 1.5" at 100 yards.

The pre-64 guns are sought after primarily because of nostalgia, and because of the CRF action. My experience is that the older guns are 2-3" shooters in general. The old machinery Winchester was using to make those guns was ancient stuff driven by overhead belts, with so much slop and backlash it took a real craftsman to be able to hold tolerance with it. When they switched the design they switched machines as well and the post-64 guns were held to tighter tolerances. Or at least that's the story I read somewhere years ago. I can tell you I have never held a pre-64 that is as well built as my 2005 gun.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Banned

cant argue with a thing. Except I'm not a 270 fan. God uses an 06!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    I own a pair of 70's, both in 270 which is the caliber God intended a Winchester 70 to be chambered in. One is a post-64 push feed gun and the other is a lefty with the pre-64 CRF action that was one of the last rifles out the door before Winchester closed the New Haven plant. The lefty has a beautiful piece of well-fitted walnut and will put three shots touching at 100 yards. The push feed gun was the first CF rifle I ever bought (in 1989) and has a laminated stock and a thin barrel. It seems equally as well built, although not quite as accurate. It shoots 1.5" at 100 yards.

The pre-64 guns are sought after primarily because of nostalgia, and because of the CRF action. My experience is that the older guns are 2-3" shooters in general. The old machinery Winchester was using to make those guns was ancient stuff driven by overhead belts, with so much slop and backlash it took a real craftsman to be able to hold tolerance with it. When they switched the design they switched machines as well and the post-64 guns were held to tighter tolerances. Or at least that's the story I read somewhere years ago. I can tell you I have never held a pre-64 that is as well built as my 2005 gun.

Boolit Master
    The modern CRF model 70 rifles are also very nice.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    The modern CRF model 70 rifles are also very nice.
    I am holding myself to a commitment to not buy another bolt gun that isn’t left handed, and FN unfortunately doesn’t seem to be in any big hurry to reintroduce the LH version.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    cant argue with a thing. Except I'm not a 270 fan. God uses an 06!!
    God uses one of those old English double gun cartridges like 600 nitro express or something like that.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Although it's a fine cartridge and what my only pre64 m70 was chambered in; I don't care for the .270.
    And God just points- no gun needed!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    there is also a feather weight that came out in about 57/58 its the same control feed but they cut 2in on barrel dont have the center screw they put a fold down rear sight . most have a double hole in stock to reduce the weight , and most had a needed recoil pad. mine shoots as good but the recoil makes you want to make that first shot count .
    the pre 64 had an adjustable trigger. . i never changed any of my 3. i had the old 50 model rebored to 338-06 and it a one hole gun at 100yds. off a lead sled.
    when i got it back i shot 3 shots at 50 yds and thought something was wrong as there was 1 hole

Boolit Grand Master
    bottom line is you can't go wrong with a model 70
    pre 64 or post 64
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I picked up my only Winchester 70 bolt, a post 64 1973 30-06 model, at a pawn shop a couple of years ago for less than $200. Definitely not a show piece, but it shoots 1/2 moa. Mine has the pre 64 style trigger.

Also didn’t the pre64 have a barrel swell to accommodate the dovetail cut rear sight?

But IF God did need a rifle, it would be a pre 64 300 HH!

My nephew has a .308 FN Police bolt action (pre64m70 by any other name) that is an honest 1/4" gun. It's amazingly heavy too. The hard case has wheels.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    My nephew has a .308 FN Police bolt action (pre64m70 by any other name) that is an honest 1/4" gun. It's amazingly heavy too. The hard case has wheels.

I had Tim Malcolm build me a 243 Winchester on a FN-SPR.

My first brand new rifle was (is) a pre 64 m70fw in 308. I actually got the gun in 64 from a business that was selling out to allow I-70 through. I still have it and it is a nail driver. I always
    shoot the roofing nails holding the target just to Jack the guys at the range. Worst kicking rifle
    I own. In early 70s I was collecting them, or hording them, the 300 & 375H&Hs were favorites too.
    They weren't fancy, but were the best on the market. I always wanted the Military Match version
    but got wrapped up in 22 Target pistols and never got ahold of one. I don't even look at Wins
    that are not Pre 64. My brother has a Super Grade 375 made in 80s, it's not bad but not near
    as slick as a pre 64.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12