Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners Load Data
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: .44 special

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    hatch you worry to much.
    I doubt anything will ever come of it should you go to court.
    But why take the chance??

I keep factory ammo in my CWP's, personal preference...

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If I was sitting on a jury, I would be more suspect of the guy with the commercial "man stoppers", than some schmuck with a cast boolit in his pistoliver.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    <-----Schmuck with factory ammo on board.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    <-----Schmuck with factory ammo on board.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

In Remebrance

Call me a fond fan of the 44 Special.

My current revo in this caliber is a S&W Model 624 x 6.5", as different from the Taurus and Charter Arms 44s as they can be. NOT SMALL, NOT FRAGILE. Just think, Bret--if yer Smith 44 Special was in stainless, you could spare yourself the metro bit.

Skeeter's Load--the Lyman #429421 atop 7.5 grains of Unique--clocks about 925-950 FPS from the 6.5" tube. With The Pachmayr Grippers in place, it is tractable and my girls don't mind shooting it. It's the revolver's go-to load, good for all venues short of deer hunting. THAT bit gets 15.0 grains of 2400 under the same Keith SWC, and is running about 1100 FPS. I don't shoot a whole lot of those loads, but it is accurate and should make venison just fine.
    Al- Guns come in blue finish. Anything else is a poor excuse or something for a pimp or girly man to flash around.

In Remebrance

The "evil reloads" mantra is championed most by one gunwriter in particular, and all I can say as one of the guys that presented citizen shooting cases (and homicides) to our prosecutor.......the question of "reload vs. factory load" never came up on the criminal side of any case. I don't believe it came up on the civil side of a case, either.
    Oh my, not the "handload vs factory" bit again! I had a lengthy email discussion with the purveyor of this idea, the writer who made the most of it, Mr Ayoob. While I enjoy his writing and wouldn't want to see the guy have to find a new line of work, I have to say he dodged questions like a champ. I'm sure he's a great professional witness because he could go off on a tangent at warp speed and avoid the question asked with the best attorney I know.

FWIW- I don't think it's a valid concern.

Most of Ayoob's "police" experience came from a Barney Fife town of about 1000 people. I certainly have been in more gunfights than he has along with most veterans of any kind of combat. I read his articles, but am not impressed by his background experience.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by NHlever View Post
    Most of Ayoob's "police" experience came from a Barney Fife town of about 1000 people. I certainly have been in more gunfights than he has along with most veterans of any kind of combat. I read his articles, but am not impressed by his background experience.
    Erzackly, and when you question him on it he starts in on his "Bonifides" and education. I gave up after a while. Make your living, write your stuff, feed your family, but let the "I'm a sworn officer" thing go. It's like me claiming "I'm a writer" because I have a blurb or 2 published. True, but not accurate.

Boolit Grand Master

I've talked to a Lawyer on another site and he says there has never been a documented case where they have brought up in the case against someone defending himself with handloads.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    I, for a short time, had a Taurus Tracker in .44 magnum. I had no intention of using this light gun with full charge magnum ammo but rather picked it up with the intention of using Skeeter's .44 Special load (7.5 Unique with a 240-250 Keith bullet). Unfortunately, the short cylinder of the Tracker would not allow me to use Keith bullets (loaded round was too long), so I decided that I did not want to load a particular load just for this revolver (I have several other .44 Specials that just LOVE the Skeeter load). So, I sold.

Dale53
    A simple soution is to shorten the brass to the apropriate length....maybe to about the 44 Russian length. I have done this with my 41 mag Tauras Tracker Titanium...

Boolit Grand Master

Perfect solution as long as you remember to back off the loads a bit.
    Smaller combustion chamber raises the pressures, so that 7.5 Uniq
    load may need to be 6.5 or 7.0 with a shortened case to get the same
    pressures and velocity.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Bub
    i started innocently enough shooting 44 specials in a model 29-3.that gun shined with that caLIBER. but after awhile it was sorta like hand me downs from my big brother,or chewing gum with the wrapper on it. so i ended up with a few 44 specials , a S&W model 21-4, i'm surprised no one mention the 21-4 44 special 4". it is a sweet little 44 special, a ruger blackhawk 44 special conversion(one of my favorites,a cinamaron mdel p,and a taurus 44 special.
    some loads they like, 12.5 2400 250 cast,16.5 grs imr 4227 240 cast, 5.8 231
    250 cast,and i found trail boss a decent and pleasant shooting load.
    the last is the 7.5 grs unique with a 250 cast bullet. what can i say it is a fun round. dan