Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersPBcastcoLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Who does quality mold work.

Boolit Buddy

Who does quality mold work.

I've just recently acquired a h&g 68 bb mold and would like the bevel base removed. Unfortunately Erik at hollow point molds has temporarily suspended any mold work other than his inset hollow point work. Is there anyone else who does compatible work. I'm not in a big hurry to get it done but it was at least part of the reason I bought the mold in the first place. I can wait until Erik starts doing other mold work again but I was just wondering if anyone else does comparable work. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Boolit Grand Master

Do you want the blocks milled down to remove it ( removes a small amount of weight from the bullet and shortens it) or indicated in to zero and the bevel base bored out ( adds a small amount of weight but Length stays the same) either way can be done. Measure some bases and see what size they are a decimal reamer can be purchased and the bevel bases reamed out by hand. A drill press to hold the reamer square and true. mold blocks in a vise against a stop, and turn by hand with a good cutting oil.

Super Moderator

.............The very easiest (cheapest) way to do it is to flycut the blocks:

If you were to cut the bevel bases out individually, to do it right you'd want to center each cavity with a TI, record the X/Y axis for each on the DRO. Then swap out the TI for the tool then do each cavity.

It's a lot more work & time the 2nd way. I no longer do it You might contact Lathesmith (on the VS forum) and see what he has to say.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys for the replies that helps.

I am sorry to hear that Erik is not doing that kind of work (temporarily). He has removed the BB from a bunch of my H&G moulds over the years and has tuned up a number of them also.
    He does great work. I hope he gets caught up. I have two 8 cavity H&G's that need his expertise.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    I would suggest selling the mold and buy what you want because if it is not done perfectly then you have a total loss, not to mention ruining something that cannot be replaced. I personally have both PB & BB #68 H&G molds and prefer the BB as many do.

I don't see why you would want the bevel base removed. Is the bullet leading? If so the problem is bullet fit, not the bevel base unless you are trying to push them above 1400 fps. Of course that is way out of 45 acp range.

I used to worry about gas cutting from blow by due to the BB, but once I learned that bullet fit was the key I quit.
    Personally, I kind of like them. I don't have to expand my case mouths so much and the brass lasts longer, and I don't get lead smears on the sides of my cases. But, each to his or her own.
    Brodie

Quote Originally Posted by Old Coot View Post
    I don't see why you would want the bevel base removed. Is the bullet leading? If so the problem is bullet fit, not the bevel base unless you are trying to push them above 1400 fps. Of course that is way out of 45 acp range.
    I used to worry about gas cutting from blow by due to the BB, but once I learned that bullet fit was the key I quit.
    Personally, I kind of like them. I don't have to expand my case mouths so much and the brass lasts longer, and I don't get lead smears on the sides of my cases. But, each to his or her own.
    Brodie
    I agree. I sell/trade some of my bullets and have found that for whatever reason, the majority of people prefer the non-bevel base bullet style. Not really sure why.
    Like you say, to each their own.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.