Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: alloying lead from roof flashing

Banned

alloying lead from roof flashing

Hello friends and neighbors,

I am reaching out to you guys for help. I bought some lead from roof flashing, about 50 lbs. It is dirty of course but after smelting it looks good.

I set aside 20 lbs for my muzzleloader. I cast some .54 cal round ball and they loaded and shot great.

I would like to alloy the remaining 30 lbs to something that is similar to COWW lead.

I have read these threads extensively. I have downloaded the lead alloy calculator and got it to work. (This is no slam on the creator of the Excell program. It is an awesome tool. I am commenting on my lack of computer savvy more than anything else.)

I have read the recipes page from LASC and unless I am wrong they start with either COWW lead or SOWW lead.

I am getting a headache. I come up with 8lbs of linotype per 30 lbs of pure lead for a BHN of 11. Or buying some Superhard from Rotometals.

Can the chemical wizards here please take pity on me and tell me what to do?

I don't mind buying alloying material from Rotometals. I just don't know what to buy. Math and stuff has never been my strong suit.

Thank you in advance for all of your help.

Boolit Master
    10lbs of Lino to 30lbs of lead will get you 1% Sn, 3% Sb and 96% Pb.

Boolit Grand Master

For practical purposes, consider stick on weights to be the same as roof flashing. While not exactly the same both are considered soft lead. 10 lbs of lino to 30 lbs of soft will make an alloy that is useful in most handgun cartridges and a lot of rifle cartridges.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Do use the FREE alloy calculator on here. Will answer all your questions now and in the future.

I keep all my metals separate and mix them on the fly in the casting pot. That way I do not get stuck with some specific alloy that I may want to change later on.

And remember this is not rocket science.

banger