RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything

Thread: Lee 240gn TL swc

Boolit Man

Lee 240gn TL swc

I have this 6 cavity mold. Mainly for plinking rounds. Would this bullet work very well for deer and hogs.

Boolit Buddy
    Depending on the hardness and velocity, it may not expand the way you want and may scoot through the animal.
    I'm powder coating that bullet, it is actually weighing in at 243gr with my unknown alloy that has hardness of about BH11.
    20.0gr of 2400 is producing 1410fps from my 7 1/2" barrel.
    I do intend to see how they perform on deer and hogs.
    Not that dirt in any way compares to muscle mass, these were retrieved from a dirt pile, fired from about 30 feet away.

Last edited by tsubaki; 04-03-2018 at 07:21 PM.
    Benny

Boolit Master
    I have the same mold and use it for easy to cast plinkers. I have not made the leap to PC yet however.

My go to mold for a serious boolit is the RCBS 250K and my more serious mold is the Lee 310 gr. GC.

I have other molds for the 44 but the above are presently my mainstays.

Three44s

Boolit Man
    This is what my intentions are was plinking. I will probably choose something else to hunt with

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outback32 View Post
    This is what my intentions are was plinking. I will probably choose something else to hunt with
    With that in mind I think you should find the Lee 240 TL SWC to be an excellent bullet. I've been using it for a few years now. I cast it with a range lead base alloy I've worked up. The alloy ends up being 2 1'2 to 3% tin and antimony and the rest lead. It casts well and is in the 8 - 10 BHN range with AC'd bullets. They drop right at .4305 to .431 from my mould. I size/lube them in a 450 lubrasizer with a .430 H&I die using BAC lube.

The bullet is my staple bullet for 44 SPL loads using 5 gr BE in 44 SPL cases.

The TL 240 SWC is my most used bullet for medium level loads in magnum cases over 8.5 gr Unique. This load is most often what I use in my Ruger 44 FTBH and Colt Anaconda.

In my OM Ruger Vaquero 44-40 I run the sized/lubed bullets through a Lee .429 sizer and they then are a perfect fit. I mostly shoot them over 7 gr 700X or 8.5 gr Unique.

I use a light roll crimp in the front lube groove.

The 8.5 gr load of Unique in either the 44 Magnum or 44-40 would probably be fine for deer but for hogs up close and personal I'd want something a bit more powerful. I don't hunt with the 44-40 so in the 44 Magnum the 429360, the RCBS 250 KT would be my choice over 22 gr 2400. However, my 1st choice for hunting is the Lyman 429640HP "Devastator" over 23 gr H110.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 04-03-2018 at 01:30 PM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I use that boolit in 44 wheel guns almost exclusively, with my alloy powder coated and gaschecked it weighs about 250 and BH of about 12. Many hogs and deer and one bear have almost all been bang flops and it is exceedingly accurate. Sized to 431 this and the lee 310 cover all my 44 bases from unique to H110 only the color of the pc is different to let me know
    At a glance if it’s a plinker, stout 44 special type or full bore stem to stern mad man load.

I've not taken a deer with it, but it was great for Rio Grande turkeys from a Rossi 44-40 and a S&W .44 Special that I owned. I'm putting together a Green Mtn/ H&R stub job 44-40 carbine and it will be tested in it from the get-go. A good mould IMO.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    I use that boolit in 44 wheel guns almost exclusively, with my alloy powder coated and gaschecked it weighs about 250 and BH of about 12. Many hogs and deer and one bear have almost all been bang flops and it is exceedingly accurate. Sized to 431 this and the lee 310 cover all my 44 bases from unique to H110 only the color of the pc is different to let me know
    At a glance if it’s a plinker, stout 44 special type or full bore stem to stern mad man load.
    Gas checked? What sort of gas check do you use?
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Man
    These will be loaded in 44 russian cases. I've come to really like the 44 Russians for just plinking

Boolit Man
    Problem is have no idea what the bhn is. I melted down about 2000 bullets that wouldn't fit my ruger sbh. I can't hardly scratch them with my fingernail

Boolit Master
    I use these for plinkers mostly, but occasionally use them for a subsonic hunting load. They work just fine for both purposes. I have switched to mostly the Lyman 429421 for hunting, but its really more for the same of knowing what kind of load (plinking vs hunting) I am using, than due to any benefit or one performing noticeably better than the other. That and my Lee mold casts at 241grs vs the Lyman casting at 268grs, so a bit cheaper on lead too.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outback32 View Post
    Problem is have no idea what the bhn is. I melted down about 2000 bullets that wouldn't fit my ruger sbh. I can't hardly scratch them with my fingernail
    The pencil test will get you close.
    If you haven’t seen this method go to “Casting & Reloading” then “Lead and Alloys” and then “Sticky: Testing Hardness With Pencils”.
    Benny

Boolit Master

This should get ya there in one step.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-with-pencils
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!