MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lyman foster mold

The barrel I’m planning on using is a 2-3/4” chamber with a rifled bore attached to my Remington 1100. That’s the plan anyway. I do have a single shot S/g with cyl bore that I can use as a test bed. It’s a 2-3/4 gun also. There’s no way I’m going to fire these thru my 3-1/2” Citori just in case something goes wrong. It’s a back bored gun so the bores are quite large anyways. More like a 10ga dia. After reading your post about the long chamber I think I’ll pass!
    I'm the gun totin, meat eatin', BIBLE readin', redneck conservative your mother always warned you about.

" Holes kill stuff. "

So Longbow, I have re-read your post above and I'm considering what you said about loading these slugs into a target shell. If I use a standard 1-1/8 (1.125) ounce trap load and substitute the slug in its place I should be in the ball park pressure wise?
    These slugs are only 1.09 of an ounce. I would have to cut the petals off of course.
    I'm the gun totin, meat eatin', BIBLE readin', redneck conservative your mother always warned you about.

" Holes kill stuff. "

Ok I took a recipe from an old DuPont powder manual for buckshot loads. It calls for 19 grains of 700X powder and a WW12R red wad AND 23 pellets of #3 buck or 529 gr.

So I removed the wad petals and placed a .040" card on the wad and 1/2" fibre and two cards on top of that for the slug to sit on. Total weight 485gr.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5PxkUF7U_o.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	218237

Blue magic hull with Fed 209 primer and 19gr of 700X.
    Does anyone think this is a bad load?

" Holes kill stuff. "

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, that should be fine. Lyman also publishes load recipes for that slug. I can scan and send some if you would like them. I have three Lyman manuals. I never had success with that slug or their load recipes for it but that's just me. These are real slug loads pushing 1400/1500 FPS depending. If you want less recoil then subbing for equal weight shot will do it.

I recommend filling the cavity especially if you cut petals off a plastic wad as the base will tend to push into the slug's butt, or put a couple of 12 ga. nitro card wads under the slug.

The slugs should also be cast from fairly soft lead. Lyman recommends pure lead. They are quite thin skirted so would likely pass through a choke okay even if cast from ACWW but I have not tried that. I have only shot the Lyman Foster cast from soft lead. The Lee slugs I cast from wheelweights.

Have at 'er and post pics!

Longbow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12