WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: 270 Titus/Savage

Boolit Buddy

270 Titus/Savage

I want to use a 270 barrel that I have on a short action. I am not interested in a WSM. I was leaning toward a 270 IHMSA, but a reamer is proving difficult to rent. I can live with a 270/250 Savage AI, but have a bunch of 300 Savage brass. Once fireformed, is the 250 Savage and 300 Savage the same brass?? IOW, Can I use 300 Savage brass to make 250 Savage AI brass??

Might be easier to do a 270 creedmoor. Just ream with a regular creedmoor reamer with a floating pilot, then go back with a 270 neck/throater. Use a 270 size bushing in a type S FL die to load, and your brass will work fine.

Boolit Buddy

This is going on a SR Mauser. If there is ever a hint the the 270 CM will be standardized, I don't want high pressure ammo finding its way into this gun.

Boolit Bub
    Why not try 22-250 brass?

Quote Originally Posted by cowboybart View Post
    This is going on a SR Mauser. If there is ever a hint the the 270 CM will be standardized, I don't want high pressure ammo finding its way into this gun.
    That's for sure but I don't see that ever happening. Of course some nitwit thought the 270 wsm was a good idea, so I guess it could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by kr54 View Post
    Why not try 22-250 brass?
    That actually works pretty well, run a creedmoor reamer in to headspace on a 22-250 go gauge. We call it the creed more or less. That way no factory ammo will fit, and you can fireform 22-250 brass easily.

Boolit Buddy

So if I bush up a 6 or 6.5 CM reamer, go in to headspace on 300 Savage gauge (I have an abundance of 300 Sav brass and very little 22-250 and no 250 Sav). Neck down the brass and fireform. ??
    Will this work?

Would I use shortened CM dies too?? (with a 270 bushing)

All of this to save a S/S fluted 270 WSM barrel that was a take off with only 140 rds fired!!!

That will work, but yes, might not be worth the effort for one old barrel. Your call on that one, nobody ever said this hobby made any sense!

Boolit Buddy

I bet I can borrow a reamer. Might need to rent the neck/throat reamer. Dies will be expensive unless I find a used set of Redding bushing dies. As popular as the CM is, I doubt I'll get them cheap.

Bart, I got my 270 IHMSA rifle finished in December. I had a 270 (chambered) stainless steel barrel from Winchester that had never been installed on an action. I had it fitted to a Marlin XSL 7. Love the rifle so far. I have made cases from 7mm-08 brass. Used the Powley Computer to work up starting loads using IMR 4320 and I have used some Varget powder. The 4320 is working out the best right now. Loading dies are indeed expensive. I have been using a 7mm IHMSA full length sizing die with a 270 sizing button and a shell holder that I removed .002 from. The brass is then form so that I feel some resistance when I closed the bolt on a unloaded cartridge. Been think very hard about using 6.5 Creedmoor cases in the future. I did a side by side comparison and I think they would be easier to use

CA Dude.