Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Can I apply a gas check by hand?

Boolit Mold

Can I apply a gas check by hand?

I've seen this question asked all over the internet with no definitive, point blank answer.

I've seen Lyman checks recommended once; the poster implied they are designed to be applied by hand, not crimped, but I can't find any conformation of this.

I've seen super glue recommend more than once.

I do not want to buy a press. I do not want an oversized piece of copper scratching my barrel. Can I buy Lyman checks, put a dab of super glue in them, slip them on, and shoot them without doing damage or causing some safety hazard?

I don't mind steps, and I don't mind tedium, but I hate equipment. Every round I've ever loaded has been on the Lee Classic Loader. I'm a simple guy. I want to melt led in a pan, ladle it into a mold, lube it in a pan, slip on a check and load it in my Lee Loader. I do not want to buy a sizing aparatus to apply a stupid three cent piece of copper onto a lead projectile.

Boolit Master

Not sure if what you want is possible. As long as you kept the check inside the case neck. It would hitch a ride with the bullet and be crimped on when it passed into the barrel.

There is chance the gas check will fall off in bottle necks if not crimped on. That could be dangerous.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Once you get the check to stick to the base of the bullet (however you decided to do that), I suppose the question will be: When you drop the bullet down into the seating die, will it fit through that, and if so, once it's down in there, will it be sized into the brass enough that it won't bulge the brass past the point of still chambering.
    If you get the check pressed/snapped onto the base of the bullet and then get the bullet into the case and it will still chamber, then it won't hurt anything. Get a few from somebody and try it. I'm thinking that the check might not want to go into the case and will just crimp or mangle the case as you pound it down through your seating die, or that it might go in there but it will bulge the case as it goes down.

However, you could just add a Lee push thru die to your Lee Loading set and that will crimp it on there perfectly for you and you can tap it through with your mallet just like an extra piece to your Classic Loader and all will be perfect, even if you have to use a piece of wood with a hole in it or something to hold your die off the table as you size/crimp the bullet.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Banned
    If you are no sizing the boolits you must be casting it close to proper dimensions

If you got a lee sizing die, (like beagle said) ↑↑↑↑↑ you could tap the boolit and gas check through the sizer instead of using a press to seat the GC and size the boolit, this would size the boolit and crimp the GC to it. You would have to make sure to keep things straight while tapping the boolit through the die

loading cast bullets on a lee classic loader
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_ynWwWhsHc

the
    Lee Precision Breech Lock Hand Press Kit is about as simple as you can get and have the functionality of a bigger piece of equipment

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    An oversized gas check is NOT going to scratch your barrel, also. It's as soft as j-word jackets and against steel it LOSES the battle for what wears what The GC will be deformed by the barrel, not the other way around.

Boolit Master
    Old style Lyman checks would work without running through a sizing die but the checks Lyman makes now are a crimp-on style similar to the Hornady. You can get them seated on the base of the boolit by hand, but you then have a base significantly larger than the rest of the boolit, so by the time you seat this thing you have expanded your case neck to be larger than your boolit. This is not a good situation!

If you want to shoot gas-checked boolits you are going to need to acquire a little sizing equipment.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the responses all. I'm going to try a Lee push through die, as suggested, using a mallet.

Boolit Master
    Let us know how it works for you ,

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Keep a lookout for an old Lee hand press. I do about 95% of my reloading with that hand press. It'll sure speed up your gas checking process, you don't have to bolt it to anything, and it doesn't take up much room - you can still keep your entire reloading stuff in a shoebox. (except the powder, just because it's usually in a bulky can)
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Yep sure can.

All that's required is. The checks used need to have been annealed first.
    Simple press fit on a hard surface. Your bullets Seating process will crimp the check tight. Keep in mind the only purpose of a G/check is to protect it's bullets base from Flame cutting.

Banned
    I'f I'm not mistaken the gas check is to prevent gas blow-by and it happens to be easier to cover the whole base. Take lead base jacketed bullets for example

Boolit Master
    It will depend on the size of the bullet "as cast" at the bottom of bullet, some will be too tight and handseated check will be crooked others could be too loose and check will not stay on. A proper lube/sizer will seat the check square, crimp it on, and lube the bullet....easy peasy.

Lee used to make a sizing kit that had a bullet sizing die that was made for hitting with a mallet. I had one in 358 and it worked well. You might find some on ebay in your caliber of choice. I used it without any problem with the hornady crimp on gas check. Ive not tried the new sizing dies that way, but I have several and im sure they would work that way. Here is a good pic of the old one, so you can see the difference.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/254241...d-bullet-sizer

I understand you dont want to get set with a bench and all, keep it simple. You might consider trying a Lee Hand Press though. It keeps it simple, but allows you to use standard dies and the bullet sizing dies.

Boolit Master
    some will be too tight and handseated check will be crooked others could be too loose and check will not stay on.
    Oh really?
    I supect you've never bothered to mount a G/check in such way?
    I was suspecting when I was first told of such process. After my trying on a 30-30 I incurred what I consider; flyer/s__ 1 Rd in twenty rounds. __Thought to myself >WoW! what a neat thing to know. ie "checking_ without special tooling."_ I annealed (so to speak) my checks in a open hearth fireplace and used a Altoids tin as a covered retort for the purpose. I highly suggest as a convenience make a cake cutter punch before doing as Pan lubing is required.