Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lead and type metal prices?

Moderator Emeritus

Since I can't post an ebay link in the open... search ebay for printers lead in sporting goods then hunting to narrow it down. There is a mixed box of linotype/foundry type for $75+ $15 shipping for example...

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Have to remember what you buy from swapping and selling is often in nice clean ingots which are of greater value than bucket of WW's or assorted scrap from a scrap yard. Even nice lead scrap has to be fetched, and usually fuel + time is involved in making it into fluxed usable ingots. So when one compares .60 per pound for mixed WW's that have clips or zinc weight included vs. 1.00 per pound for clean ingots it just makes sense to factor in the value added the seller is providing. Start casting vs. start sorting and skimming and fluxing to make ingots so you can cast.

Same with type metal. If it has been sorted to remove spacers etc. so that it in only linotype strips or mono type is in the order that adds value. Have seen what a "raw" box of type looks like. Almost enough to make one miss the bucket of WW's from the tire shop full of tobacco chewers. Almost!
    I am sure that many appreciate the hard work and purity of the lead sold here and online elsewhere but I thought that learning how to process and create my own ingots from raw materials such as ww or pure lead with lino or foundry added was all part of the learning process of casting. Besides, I have found that processing and sorting ww and lead in general into nice shiny new ingots of my own to be very rewarding and of great value to me. I really love going thru a big bucket of ww. Actually I love the whole process of making my own lead for casting. Maybe it's just me...but I don't think so.

Boolit Master

I used to enjoy getting a 5 gallon bucket of WW that weighed approx. 150# & yielded 125-130 lbs of ingots. Two years ago(last time I paid for WW) I was lucky to get 75 lbs of ingots and that required separating COWW from SOWW. I'm sure that around here the yield is even less now. With about 2 tons of ingots, I won't live long enough to use it up.

Like RogerDat, I hope I never run across a big supply of scrap that looks like it might yield a good percentage of clean ingots. I might be tempted even though I doubt that I'm physically able any more to convert it into ingots.
    John
    W.TN

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12