MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Metal flake looking lead

Boolit Man

Metal flake looking lead

I was melting a few hundred Alox boolits because they were scraping down to bare lead in places going through the sizer. The lead ingots ended up looking like silver metal flake paint when they harden up. Any ideas of what this is?

Moderator Emeritus

it's crystals
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Antimonial dendrite crystals that form when the lead cools.
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RedStar Raider View Post
    I was melting a few hundred Alox boolits because they were scraping down to bare lead in places going through the sizer. The lead ingots ended up looking like silver metal flake paint when they harden up. Any ideas of what this is?
    I am not sure if I am understanding you correctly with the bold above & this does not address your question about the ingots, but I am curious as to why you would melt down those boolits just because the ALOX was scraped off?

I tumble lube as well as pan lube, but when I tumble lube I use 45/45/10 (JPW/ALOX/Min.Spirits) before I size & then I re-lube after sizing & before seating the boolits. When I have boolits that get lead exposed from sizing, ( which I expect), I know I am going to be re-lubing them before loading & so I do not understand why you would re-melt the boolits you sized down, when they could just be lubed again to cover the exposed lead..??

Do you not re-lube them after sizing & before seating/loading?

I guess I do not understand why you melted them down, instead of re-lubing them again with ALOX.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

I've seen the metal flake look on ingots that were cast from hard lead, like type metal. Its just the alloy thats in it.

Imagine a little Twilight Zone music in the background...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mystery metal.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	218315
    Ingot broken while hot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	452484 HP.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	218317
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grainy.jpg  

the flake pattern can look like a hot dipped galvanized pail or trash can with the flake size being in part related to the cooling rate which influences the way crystals form on the surface.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat