Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mattress?

Mattress?

Weird question I know...

At the paralysis by analysis point in researching mattresses. We would like something more forgiving for beat up 60 year old bones.

Whittled the choices down to two, Nolah or Saatva

The Nolah is foam, the Saatva is spring.

If you have one or know someone that does, thoughts, impressions or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    μολὼν λαβέ

I resent it when other people try to inflict their ideas of betterness on me. I don’t think they know. And I can’t see any authority on the horizon that’s got any answers that seem worthwhile. FZ

Boolit Buddy
    Good afternoon I do not like foam mattress as in my part of the world it is hot most of the year and I have found the foam mattress are hot to start with. As for springs I spent many years staying in motels and some of the larger chains have their own brand, that is how we found ours.

regards Trevor

Boolit Master
    Go retro and back to the Pallyass.

Check out Savvy Rest

Boolit Master

For me the analysis is;

Waterbed - unable to describe my back pain in the morning.
    Air mattress - no matter what firmness I use my sleep is broken and wake up feeling miserable.
    Spring mattress - whether soft, medium or hard none give me complete relaxation before falling asleep.
    Foam mattress - easy to become relaxed before falling asleep and I get a good nights sleep. Can be a little warm in the summer, but, I'll sleep on top of the comforter.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    We went foam 3 1/2 years ago. High dollar at first. Lasted two years Tops. We then gave it another go with a cheaper foam brand that showed up in a box. A week of air out and well it looks like its going to last us 2 years again. I hate foam! Both of these foam beds do not look like they have a dent in the middle but after you have been in the bed for a few mins you can tell. You start to roll together. I am thinking of going old school spring. Our last spring lasted us 15 years. If you go (Foam) I would go one stage firmer as it will soften up over time.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master

Went to a king-sized foam when living in Arizona; a Serta variety from Costco for $800. That was in 2008. When I got divorced in 2012, she demanded to keep that mattress; we both loved it.

So I bought a queen-sized no name foam mattress that got good reviews off of Amazon for around $450. It's held up great for 6 years. Whenever I sleep on a regular mattress at a hotel, or the cabin, or at girlfriend's house, I am miserable.

I'm 6'2" and close to 300lbs. If a mattress is going to fail early, then it will be under me.

My best friend bought a Casper memory foam bed just over a year ago. King-sized and around $1800. He LOVES it. Everybody I've talked to that has bought the Casper has loved it.

Banned

I have been very happy with my foam beds. Got an expensive Serta and at 3 years my joy continues. Regardless, the biggest game changer for me is the adjustable frame. Got one of those three years ago, what a blessing. Can raise/lower my head and legs to perfection for sleeping or watching TV. If my wife is awake and I am snoring, she will adjust it until I stop. Love that.

Boolit Master
    Timely thread. The better half has been saying for a couple years we need a new mattress. I could be pleased with one that we roll into the middle!!! I like that idea alot!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Go here and check it out. It is confusing. This site has no dog in the fight and just tells it like it is on hundreds of different mattresses.

http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/bed-...view-home.html

Boolit Master

NSB, thanks for the link, we are looking for mattress for guest bedroom. Have foam that seemed ok at first, but with little use its like slow quick sand, just keep sinking. Wife uses it as she likes to watch tv at night and falls asleep, no tv in master bedroom.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

There are hybrids of spring and foam. I had bought one about 10-11 years ago and I’ve just thought about replacing it due to developing the humps over the last few years.

I'm surprised enough folks like the foam. Good to hear, not sure I would like them. Gonna go look at a Tulo foam mattress sometime this week, seems the only 'bed in a box' than you can lay on before you buy. Comes in 3 firmness options too.

Gotta do something soon, the bones are crying.
    μολὼν λαβέ

I resent it when other people try to inflict their ideas of betterness on me. I don’t think they know. And I can’t see any authority on the horizon that’s got any answers that seem worthwhile. FZ

We went with a custom foam from a local builder some 5-6 years ago.
    Cost us 2k$, good news is we got a 15 year warranty with it. Sent it in about a year and a half ago to be rebuilt.

I sleep very good on it.

My advice, don't spend over 600$.
    And then buy a 2" foam/gel pad to put over it.
    We got ours at Walmart, around 70$

It has temperpedic material and gel, looks blue marbled or streaked.

Dang comfortable. I think one of those on a plain canvas cot would give you a good nights sleep.

Moderator Emeritus

With my destroyed joints/back I went foam 10 years ago. Can't sleep on anything else. Just the $200 cheapies and replace them every 3-4 years because they do develop a spot that is shaped to your body you end up sinking into. But tons of support for the back!

Tulo's run $650 for a Queen. Seems a middle ground price compare to the other I was looking at. I guess we'll see what that can do sometime this week.
    μολὼν λαβέ

Banned

I was told by a guy that owns a furniture store that I know that spending 2k on a mattress is stupid. they last not much longer if any then a 500 dollar mattress. He said he could have any mattress in the store and what he sleeps on is a 600 dollar sealy posterpedic with a 100 dollar memory foam topper that you can buy at Walmart. He said the toppers last about a year and you toss them and buy a new one and using one about makes the mattress itself last forever. He told me too that you are about throwing money out the door buying a box spring. They do nothing but make your bed a bit higher. I went that route two years ago (not a sealy but a comparable mattress he had on sale) For many years I thought I had to have an extra firm mattress because of my back problems but will say flat out that this setup is a 100 times better on me.

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, mattresses are a ripoff. Many won't honor the worthless warranty without the matching box spring, and it is a piece of junk made of flimsey wood and cardboard.
    A pad over the mattress will protect it and it can be washed. Don't fall for all the hipe meant to separate you from more of your fortunes.
    If I were in charge of sales I'd do the same thing. Just like dishonest car salesmen, it's their way of extracting more of your money.
    Pillows are the same deal. Different shapes and materials only make for varieties to sell at a higher price.....
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Yep, mattresses are a ripoff. Many won't honor the worthless warranty without the matching box spring, and it is a piece of junk made of flimsey wood and cardboard.
    A pad over the mattress will protect it and it can be washed. Don't fall for all the hipe meant to separate you from more of your fortunes.
    If I were in charge of sales I'd do the same thing. Just like dishonest car salesmen, it's their way of extracting more of your money.
    Pillows are the same deal. Different shapes and materials only make for varieties to sell at a higher price.....

I use a washable mattress protector, I have 2 cats and they have been known to hack a furball up in the middle of the bed and it keeps it from getting on the mattress!

Boolit Master
    I just got a Tempu-pedic a few months ago with an adjustable frame. Took a will to get use to it but now I love it. I have the same problem my body hurts most of the time so it is nice to get a good nights sleep.The down side was the cost .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast