Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: cast load for 6.5 x 55/ with 7 1/2 twist

Boolit Buddy

cast load for 6.5 x 55/ with 7 1/2 twist

I have an M96 swedish Mauser with a 1 in 7 1/2 twist and slugged barrel at
    .2655 groove diameter. I cast a 135gr. GC bullet from a Lee mould . I once tried 21-24 gr. of IMR4895 and had found 21gr. precise but went back to the range with same recipe and result at 100 yards weren't as good as previous.
    Anyone with load data would be appreciated.
    Danyboy

My favorite load for the Swedish Mauser is the Lyman 266469, sized .266", lubed with homemade moly lube, and loaded over 16.0 grains of 4198. This load generates about 1500 fps, is accurate and very fun to shoot.
    Glen

Boolit Grand Master

The 21 gr load of 4895 drives that bullet too fast for good consistant accuracy. With the fast twist of the Swede you find best accuracy in the 1400-1600 fps range with most cast bullets. The 16 gr load of 4198 as mentioned by Glen is a good one as is 15-16 gr 5744, 14-16 gr of 2400 or 4227.

Larry Gibson

And, 14 - 15gr. WC 820 (AA #9 burn rate); 18 - 19gr. VV N133 with the Lee CB mentioned in the original post.

Boolit Buddy

swedish mauser load data

What about Unique powder ? I thought I read some topic where it was used.
    danyboy

Super Moderator

...............Yup, 8-10 grs of Unique is good.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy

swedish load data mauser

Oops ! Already loaded some between 10 - 11.5 gr. of Unique and was gonna try them out at the range. I guess I went too far on the powder charge.
    danyboy

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen View Post
    My favorite load for the Swedish Mauser is the Lyman 266469, sized .266", lubed with homemade moly lube, and loaded over 16.0 grains of 4198. This load generates about 1500 fps, is accurate and very fun to shoot.
    Is this Hodgdon 4198 or IMR-4198, or does it make any difference?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jdoug View Post
    Is this Hodgdon 4198 or IMR-4198, or does it make any difference?
    ................Won't make any difference safety wise.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy

Unique

Went to the range yesterday. Tried out 10.5 to 11.5 gr. unique, 130gr. cast .266 gas check bullet with OAL of 2.877-2.88. I used a case gauge for concentricity and the results were amazing.
    I had a target at 50 and one at 100 yards. When I tried 11.5gr, I first shot at 50 yards and hit where the vertical and horizontal lines (very center of a cercle target) meet on the target. Second, I decided to try 100 yards right away and got the exact samething, intersection of both lines, i.e. dead on bullseye. It was the first time I tried this Unique powder with my 6.5 X 55 and also first time I used a case gauge. Don't know if it was just my lucky day or what. I'll try it out again soon and will also try imr4198 16gr. to check.
    Thanks everybody for your precious advice. This forum is an incredible source of knowledge and experience. I appreciate.
    danyboy

Super Moderator

..............What did your groups look like? Glad you were successfull, as that's always a positive.

.............Buckshot

Boolit Buddy

6.5 X 55

groups were 1" at 50 yards and 2½" at 100 yards. I had the odd bullet that was way out at 100 yards but I blame it on my shooting.
    danyboy

Boolit Grand Master

Gotta love a plan that comes together!

Larry Gibson