Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: CVA Hunter....a Two Year Evaluation

CVA Hunter....a Two Year Evaluation

Since there's been so little written about these rifles I thought I'd share my experience after using one for two years now.
    First off...they ain't pretty...but I was in the market for a new truck gun and they looked like a fair replacement for the Handi that broke....again.Local sports store had the scoped combo on sale in .223 .243 and 7mm-08.I chose .223 for several reasons maybe better suited for another thread.
    Same day limited for time ... took it out for a quick shooting session.In the sunshine,looking through the scope it came with, was even worse than it looking through it in the store.I mean....where'd the glass come from?Recycled bottles?No biggie, I'd already planned to replace it.The fore end is a bit skinny east-west but it's well balanced and points well.Next big plus was it has an extractor rather than an ejector.
    Set up a target at 25 yards just to see if it was going to hit paper and took the first shot....... Oh my,...the trigger is a dream compared to a Handi trigger.Made a slight scope correction and moved the target out to 50 yards.Fired 3 shots with 2 different factory loads and had two groups with holes near touching themselves.I was now really excited about my new purchase but was out of time.
    Forward a couple weeks and I'm armed with a new scope and ready to start working up handloads.After a morning shooting and cleaning I'm ready to retry a couple promising loads but no groups were quite as nice as those first two the day I got it...even the factory loads that shot them.I continue to try to find a load the rifle REALLY likes but around six months ago I just gave up.
    Not bashing the rifle at all ... I'm actually quite pleased with it.There are some loads that just don't group well but by far most will hit at around 2 inches at 100 yards.Perfectly adequate for a truck gun.Now with even more experience with 4 different Handi Rifles, I'd say this is at least a good substitute.Despite what I've heard and read..... I have NEVER seen a "tack driving" Handi.Never handled one the heavy barreled models ... maybe they will ... but the ones I've messed with generally can be expected to give 2" groups at 100 yards at best.
    The rifle has rode in the truck 2 years now and works well.It's short so is quick into action.Even with all the banging around the scope has held zero except for the one time it took a extra heavy lick right on the scope so not unexpected.One could grouch that there are no iron sights but at my age I can't see them well enough to use them.
    Over all I'm pleased with it and keep having to talk myself out of buying another one chambered in .44mag.For cast bullets don't you know...

Thanks for sharing- I've been tempted by these. I almost bought one in 7mm-08 (Academy had a scoped demo model for $180) but resisted. 2" @ 100 yds will fill the freezer just fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

A very similar report on our end;my brother has gone all into to the CVA hunter line; a 44 and one in 223. Both are acceptably accurate the 44 is a gem. Both spend time in truck and boat and neither has had any problems,the .44 has taken a few deer. The 223 varmints for the price; I don't see any short comings. For a 200'something investment you get a good, short fairly accurate rifle that can take game and abuse in equal amounts.

Banned
    do they have a laminate stock you could buy?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 500Linebaughbuck View Post
    do they have a laminate stock you could buy?
    All I have seen have a plastic stock.

Boolit Master

Just checked Boyd's - Nope, they only make a replacement stock for the Wolf Muzzleloader. Shame...

I've had a V2 in 300blk for a few years now. It will shoot factory UMC 120gr supers into 3/8" at 100yds. Cheap plated subs 1/2" at 50yds.

Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
    Just checked Boyd's - Nope, they only make a replacement stock for the Wolf Muzzleloader. Shame...
    yeah, i checked them too....

Boolit Buddy
    Glad to see that these hold up. Talked my wife into buying me one in 44mag for my birthday. Main thought was for shooting pigs quietly. Had the shop I bought it from thread it for me to use my 1911 form 1 can. It;s a fun little gun to shoot, even with an 6" long can on the end it is a quick little gun. Was pleasantly surprised at how little it kicked, being so light. Too bad I haven't had the time to really play with it and get a load worked up. But once the house is finished, I'm hoping to get back to shooting, casting and loading more since I can now shoot on my own land

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    I've had a V2 in 300blk for a few years now. It will shoot factory UMC 120gr supers into 3/8" at 100yds. Cheap plated subs 1/2" at 50yds.

I know this is not the thread to ask (maybe a PM discussion) but what load are you using to get 1/2" at 50yds on subs in 300blk? Supers I can put in the same hole all day long, but doing good to get 2" at 25yds with subs

BTW, not using it in the CVA, Using it in AR and a Ruger American

Boolit Master
    For .223 in my Savage I have found that most factory ammo groups around 2" at 100yd. Fed Match will go below 1" with 69gn Sierra bullets.

What twist does it have? Mine has a 1/9. If yours is a 1/7 you might want to try heavier bullets. If slower then stay with 55gn bullets.

For handloads try Varget powder. It works great for me. Bullet quality shows dramatically. Cheap 55gn bullets are not worth the money for me. I use Matchking and Gameking. Hornady match bullets are close, still testing them.

I have mixed feelings about my handi-rifles. My 223 is definitely no tack driver, and its a heavy barrel model. My AR would outshoot it any day of the week, but its nice rifle to sit and plink with. My 45-70 Handi is a tack driver. I have shot it with handloads next to a Shiloh and rolling block and it will shoot touching groups at 100 yards no problem.

I have considered this as an update to the ol handi-rifle, but I went with a Henry single shot instead. I wanted something with wood. In the coming weeks as its warming up here in KY ill get it out and take some nice 100 yard shots with the Henry and see if it can keep up with the other rifles I have.

Anyway, I am glad to hear they aren't junk. I had herd mixed things and if a buddy is looking for a budget rifle I wont feel like im selling them short if I bring up the CVA

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I'm glad that CVA is catering to single shot fans. Still, I would rather have the Henry as I want wood furniture and sights.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I got my 35 Remington CVA Hunter on a closeout sale from Bud's. I haven't shot it much, but factory Hornady 200 grain flextip ammo shoots ragged one-hole groups at 50 yards. I have a $40 Tasco scope on it for now. Plan is to get a good boolit and hunt blacktail deer with it.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the report. Appreciate you taking the time to give an honest report on how she is preforming.

Jim

Boolit Mold
    I'm doing my 10 day cooling off time before I pick up my CVA hunter in 44 Mag.
    Odd thing is, I wasn't even mad when I ordered it. I just wanted a decent 44 single shot.
    I am glad to hear folks are happy with this firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by lksmith View Post
    I know this is not the thread to ask (maybe a PM discussion) but what load are you using to get 1/2" at 50yds on subs in 300blk? Supers I can put in the same hole all day long, but doing good to get 2" at 25yds with subs

BTW, not using it in the CVA, Using it in AR and a Ruger American
    Imma link you to my thread on .300blktalk. It has some of my recipes in it. Keep in mind the cva has a bergara barrel that is especially accurate.
    http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/view...92226&start=10
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Bub
    Been shooting my 44 mag for a little over a year. Very pleased with it.
    It’s incredibly destructive. https://youtu.be/oCupUBsEKiM